How hot will it get inside my van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would never leave my cat in an unsafe environment, and I'm a bit offended that you would imply that I would.
Yes, I put a lot of effort into scheduling, but I'm not married to it, and it certainly doesn't take precedence over the safety of our cat.
Why do you think I'm asking about the temperature in the van?
We may not even bring our cat for this very reason. We'd cancel the whole trip if it came down to it.

The stat I just looked at showed over 44 kids died in 2013 from being left in hot vehicles. I can't put my hands on the number of animals that die every year.

I don't know you from a stranger on the street so I have no idea whether you would or wouldn't leave your cat in an unsafe environment or whether you would recognize a closed vehicle as being unsafe.

Here's some reading for you on rate of heat rise in vehicles. I sincerely doubt you'll get figures designed to exactly match the circumstances you cite (white van, Fantastic vent, some minor shading from solar panels, etc.etc) but here ya go.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15995010

As a van owner and dweller since 1975, I can tell you that no matter what you're going to do, short of touring in the dead of winter, you're not going to keep the van animal comfortable on most days when it goes above 70. No amount of shade, fan power etc will do the job. That's why people who travel with pets either forego the sightseeing unless the animal can accompany them or they move on up to a RV with onboard generator and a/c.

Matt, look into an insulation called aerogel (also called blue smoke). It is expensive but if you use it only on the ceiling it might be reasonable in terms of cost. Ventilation is the most important thing to keep the temp down.

Almost There said:
As a van owner and dweller since 1975, I can tell you that no matter what you're going to do, short of touring in the dead of winter, you're not going to keep the van animal comfortable on most days when it goes above 70. No amount of shade, fan power etc will do the job. That's why people who travel with pets either forego the sightseeing unless the animal can accompany them or they move on up to a RV with onboard generator and a/c.

This would have been a good answer the first time.

I'm aware of the dangers of hot vehicles. However, most vehicles are not insulated, nor do they fans venting the hot air out of them.
All I wanted to know was if the dangers could be mitigated through the use of the many ideas people use to keep vans comfortable for people living in them. If the answer is no, that's all you have to say.

I know there are numerous van dwellers that travel with their cats, so I know it's possible. I'm trying to determine how/if I can do the same.

well there is no way for us on this end to predict what the temp in your van will be at any given location at any given time of year. to many variables. I am sure you don't want harm to your pet. you just must deal with it as you go there is really no way to know if your van will be safe at any particular location. it's up to you to keep your pet safe. I am not talking smack or trying to discourage you. as someone who travels with a dog I know plans change day to day. my dog comes first, as I am sure your cat does. highdesertranger

You can purchase an in vehicle device that will text you if a certain temp. is exceeded. (Look on dog show sites.) Usually used to verify genny and AC is operating correctly on dog show vans.

b21a7b19d505cbebe38dd9f767339890.jpg

Off Grid 24/7 said:
I've seen temperature changes upwards of 50° in the sunlight.

When I had a heavily insulated cargo van, by mid afternoon the indoor temperature would be in the 140° to 180° range, and wouldn't cool off to comfortable until just about sunrise.  Even with the doors open didn't seem to help, it was like the insulation trapped the heat and continued to radiate it for many hours.

In my humble opinion, if you're traveling in weather that is going to be uncomfortable, insulation or not, I'd have both heat and air conditioning available.  You just can't trust Mother Nature, and where you're planning on 80° weather, could turn into 120° weather.  Being prepared is a better choice than being miserable.

What if I just tape relectix to the whole outside of the van?

Shade cloth is a much better idea than reflectix. With passive cooling techniques it's easy to keep the temprature inside the same as outside. But to go below the outside temperatures takes active air conditioning.

This is my set up in the AZ desert. Shade cloth covers the whole south side of the trailer and most of both ends. Plywood covers the whole roof so it is shaded. On the van, the windshield cover works much better than Reflectix on the inside so it stays cooler and it let light in.

I've created a covered yard between the trailer and van which shades the van from the sun and makes both much cooler. I can sit out in the shade anytime I want. 

Shade cloth lets the wind blow through so I get a breeze into the van and in a strong wind I don't have to take it down.

Works Great!!! The inside temperatures will be the same as outside temperatures. Add a fan and I'm good into the 90s and I having lived in Alaska for 45 years I have a very low tolerance for heat!

shade-trailer-001.jpg

I'm gonna be doing mostly urban city camping but maybe I can use the shadecloth or something across the sides door while it's opened. This way it will be like a slow cooker instead of a pressure cooker.

I also plan on getting a couple panels to run a fridge and roof vent, plus I hear they help keep the van cooler.

Matt71 said:
I don't need anyone to predict the weather. I need someone to do the physics. If it's 80 degrees outside with 70% humidity and I have a white van with solar panels shading the roof, reflectix in the windows and a fantasticvent on high all day, how hot is it likely to get inside? 10 degrees hotter than outside? 20? more?

It will be PRECISELY 18.6 DEGREES WARMER IN YOUR VAN.

You can believe me because I'm never wrong and never lie.

Question answered. Thread closed. Next topic.