How do you support yourself on the road?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

souperjumble

Reaction score
I'm planning on going on trips as soon as I get my van outfitted.   I would like to stay out as long as possible.   I know a lot workcamp or take odd jobs. I really would like to know if any do faires. Or carnivals.  I'm out here in northern kentucky.  I can't make things in the van its a little ford transit connect.  No room.  I hope all is well out on the road.

Welcome aboard the CRVL forums souperjumble.
I would say do something you enjoy if possible.
Everyone is different.

I think you might be surprised at what you can make in a small place. Talked to a lady today that makes little bandanas for dogs that attach to to collar. Another guy makes necklaces by cutting out the center of coins so that it's the outer edge of the coin and what ever the subject matter was like a presidential head or a panda if it's a play coin.

John

copied from http://www.traveldroppings.com/articles/work/carnival-work.php :

How to become a Carnival worker

The best time to look, especially in the colder states, is in the late spring, when carnival workers are waking up like bears from a winter hangover, getting ready to go out on the summer carnival tours around the USA.

You can find out the name of many different carnival service providers and apply directly to their website. They generally have a jobs or "career" section where you can contact the owner about working. http://carnivalmidways.com/

Keep in mind that you can probably get a job with them all year round as the turnover must be high with carnies regularly going to jail or mysteriously disappearing.

Some previous skills that are useful to include on a resume include counting, driving trucks, mechanical skills, people skills, breathing and spraying vomit with a water hose. If you list any one of those you should be fine. If you prefer to walk into the job with some experience under your over-stressed belt, consider spilling a can of soup onto a picnic table to practice your aim with the water hose.

Many carnival companies do require drug tests for insurance reasons, but judging from the smell of most carnies, that is a one time thing. Be ready to travel for months at a time as you go from one exciting small town to the next as you work on saving your nest egg for retirement.

If you don't think carnival life is for you, then consider one of the many other work and travel jobs below.

souperjumble said:
I'm planning on going on trips as soon as I get my van outfitted.   I would like to stay out as long as possible.   I know a lot workcamp or take odd jobs. I really would like to know if any do faires. Or carnivals.  I'm out here in northern kentucky.  I can't make things in the van its a little ford transit connect.  No room.  I hope all is well out on the road.

Greetings & Welcome!

Carnivals and city/county/state fairs often hire help.  The way you spelled faire, I got the impression that you might mean renaissance faires, and I really can't help you there.

Many of us also make money online, and there are many different ways to make money online as long as you have an internet connection, or pay someone else to handle it for you. 

In many cities there are both temp agencies, and day labor centers.  Many people also utilize these to enable their travel from town to town.

Some people will work one season to support their travels for the rest of the year.

In the end, there are lots of opportunities to make money on the road.

Good Luck & Best Wishes!

BradKW said:

The best time to look, especially in the colder states, is in the late spring, when carnival workers are waking up like bears from a winter hangover, getting ready to go out on the summer carnival tours around the USA.

You can find out the name of many different carnival service providers and apply directly to their website. They generally have a jobs or "career" section where you can contact the owner about working. http://carnivalmidways.com/

Keep in mind that you can probably get a job with them all year round as the turnover must be high with carnies regularly going to jail or mysteriously disappearing.

Some previous skills that are useful to include on a resume include counting, driving trucks, mechanical skills, people skills, breathing and spraying vomit with a water hose. If you list any one of those you should be fine. If you prefer to walk into the job with some experience under your over-stressed belt, consider spilling a can of soup onto a picnic table to practice your aim with the water hose.

Many carnival companies do require drug tests for insurance reasons, but judging from the smell of most carnies, that is a one time thing. Be ready to travel for months at a time as you go from one exciting small town to the next as you work on saving your nest egg for retirement.

If you don't think carnival life is for you, then consider one of the many other work and travel jobs below.

That wasn't very nice of you, you made me spray a lovely wine all over my shiny iPad.  :D

John

I know a few people that follow a Ren Faire circuit. And I have friends that follow and are vendors re-enactment circuits. I also have friends on the pow wow trail that make their money dancing and/or as traders.

So, yeah, the possibilities are definitely there. No one is getting rich though. Most of them work during the week. Or did, before they retired.

BradKW said:

A friend's son did the carnie thing, but not for long. He discovered quickly that the pay was poor, the work was long and hard, and he wasn't traveling to the places he wanted to go. He is back in his parents' restaurant, now. He does not travel as much, but when he does, he goes where he wants to go and does what he wants to do.

Thanks for all the good responses. I don't know about the vomit bit. Ha ha ! I was thinking about learning to read tarot cards. I do have a bit of gypsy in me. I will check rest of forum for more ideas. I am very happy to be here on the forum.

In my case, it was the previous 40 years of work qualifying me for enough Social Security to live comfortably as a nomad.

Just found a guy today sharpening knives out of a box truck on the side of the road. I don't think he is a van dweller but I think it proves money can be made from it.

John

I can tell you from experience that sharpening knives and other tools can be rewarding and profitable. It does however take some time to become skilled enough to make much money and it is a DIRTY job, so doing it in your living space is a no-go IMO. If you are interested, watch some youtube videos, get some tools, and go pick up some knives at the Goodwill store to learn with.

Yea, I'd think you would want to pull a small trailer or have mount points on the outside of your rig to do this. Good call about the dirty part of it though. (Thumbs up!)

John

souperjumble said:
Thanks for all the good responses. I don't know about the vomit bit. Ha ha ! I was thinking about learning to read tarot cards. I do have a bit of gypsy in me.  I will check rest of forum for more ideas.  I am very happy to be here on the forum.

I thought of this as well. I would have to learn more to do it, but I think it's a viable option. Oddly, it is illegal in some places so check the laws. In the small city where I live there is a clear law against it. I am sure it could be fought and won, especially if you can prove heritage, but traveling you would have to fight it everywhere it wasn't legal. So, it is a great idea, but check the laws. I am guessing it's to protect people from fraud in some places because 'fortune tellers" can be con men (women) but here I am guessing religion played a big part in it as well. It's an old law but still on books.

I practice hypnotherapy (non professionally) and will have to check laws wherever I am as well if I decide to start charging for it.

Good luck and if you start doing it,  let me know how it goes. Great idea.

SaltySeaWitch said:
I thought of this as well. I would have to learn more to do it, but I think it's a viable option. Oddly, it is illegal in some places so check the laws. In the small city where I live there is a clear law against it. I am sure it could be fought and won, especially if you can prove heritage, but traveling you would have to fight it everywhere it wasn't legal. So, it is a great idea, but check the laws. I am guessing it's to protect people from fraud in some places because 'fortune tellers" can be con men (women) but here I am guessing religion played a big part in it as well. It's an old law but still on books.

I practice hypnotherapy (non professionally) and will have to check laws wherever I am as well if I decide to start charging for it.

Good luck and if you start doing it,  let me know how it goes.  Great idea.

Is it really illegal in some places? UGH! I guess I need to check on that.  I've been reading Tarot for about 30ish years now.  I have several lovely & beautiful decks. I made extra money in college doing readings but read only for friends and such now. I think if you have disclaimer that it's for "entertainment purposes only" you should be okay.  I don't use it for "fortune telling"more of helping people understand their own symbology and archetypes on the subconscious level.  It's really a great tool.   

Gigi :heart:

I read it is illegal in 11 states. There are municipal codes all over TN against it. I do know there are some places in TN it allowed but around here, no.

Sec. 19-186. - Fortunetelling.

(a)

Prohibited acts. No person shall advertise by sign, circular or handbill or in any newspaper, periodical, magazine or other publication, or by any other means, to tell fortunes, to find or restore lost or stolen property, to locate an oil well, gold or silver or other ore or metal or natural product, to restore lost love or friendship or affection, or to unite or procure lovers, husbands, wives, lost relatives or friends, for or without pay, by means of occult or psychic powers, faculty or forces, clairvoyance, psychology, psychometry, spirits, spiritualism, mediumship, sayership, prophecy, astrology, palmistry, necromancy, graphology or other crafts, science, cards, talismans, charms, potions, magnetism or magnetized articles or substances, oriental mysteries or magic of any kind or nature, or numerology, or engage in or carry on any business the advertisement of which is prohibited by this section.

(b)

Exemptions. The provisions of subsection (a) of this section shall not be construed to include, prohibit or interfere with the exercise of any religious or spiritual function of any priest, minister, rector or accredited representative of a bona fide church or religion where such priest, minister, rector or accredited representative holds a certificate of credit, commission or ordination under the ecclesiastical laws of a religious corporation incorporated under the laws of any state or territory of the United States of America, or any voluntary religious association, and who conforms to the rights and practices prescribed by the supreme conference, convocation, convention, assembly, association or senate of the system of faith with which he is affiliated; provided, however, that any church or religious organization which is organized for the primary purpose of conferring certificates of commission, credit or ordination for a price, and not primarily for the purpose of teaching and practicing a religious doctrine or belief, shall not be deemed to be a bona fide church or religious organization.

(Code 1962, §§ 28-700, 28-701)

Gigi said:
Is it really illegal in some places? UGH! I guess I need to check on that.  I've been reading Tarot for about 30ish years now.  I have several lovely & beautiful decks. I made extra money in college doing readings but read only for friends and such now. I think if you have disclaimer that it's for "entertainment purposes only" you should be okay.  I don't use it for "fortune telling"more of helping people understand their own symbology and archetypes on the subconscious level.  It's really a great tool.   

Gigi :heart:

Tarot is considered fortune telling. When I called my city after finding the law, they said disclaimer or not, I could not legally give any type of readings. I know some tarot laws have been over turned in other states. I would just check the states/counties/cities you plan to visit and plan to be in places where it is legal. It's the con artist people charging to remove curses or bad auras who make it hard for genuine, helpful people who do nothing of the sort to harm people.

SaltySeaWitch said:
I read it is illegal in 11 states. There are municipal codes all over TN against it. I do know there are some places in TN it allowed but around here, no.

Sec. 19-186. - Fortunetelling.

(a)

Prohibited acts. No person shall advertise by sign, circular or handbill or in any newspaper, periodical, magazine or other publication, or by any other means, to tell fortunes, to find or restore lost or stolen property, to locate an oil well, gold or silver or other ore or metal or natural product, to restore lost love or friendship or affection, or to unite or procure lovers, husbands, wives, lost relatives or friends, for or without pay, by means of occult or psychic powers, faculty or forces, clairvoyance, psychology, psychometry, spirits, spiritualism, mediumship, sayership, prophecy, astrology, palmistry, necromancy, graphology or other crafts, science, cards, talismans, charms, potions, magnetism or magnetized articles or substances, oriental mysteries or magic of any kind or nature, or numerology, or engage in or carry on any business the advertisement of which is prohibited by this section.

(b)

Exemptions. The provisions of subsection (a) of this section shall not be construed to include, prohibit or interfere with the exercise of any religious or spiritual function of any priest, minister, rector or accredited representative of a bona fide church or religion where such priest, minister, rector or accredited representative holds a certificate of credit, commission or ordination under the ecclesiastical laws of a religious corporation incorporated under the laws of any state or territory of the United States of America, or any voluntary religious association, and who conforms to the rights and practices prescribed by the supreme conference, convocation, convention, assembly, association or senate of the system of faith with which he is affiliated; provided, however, that any church or religious organization which is organized for the primary purpose of conferring certificates of commission, credit or ordination for a price, and not primarily for the purpose of teaching and practicing a religious doctrine or belief, shall not be deemed to be a bona fide church or religious organization.

(Code 1962, §§ 28-700, 28-701)

I love how they know that religions do exactly the same thing so they have to write in an exception for them.

SaltySeaWitch said:

Good luck and if you start doing it,  let me know how it goes.  Great idea.

Always been interested in hypnotherapy.   I will have to start reading up on it again.  It would be cool if you interested to start a thread on your experiences with it if you wanted to share.