how do I assemble my new two-canister water filter kit?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamk

Reaction score
I'm looking for ideas on how to assemble my new two-canister water filter kit.

Right now it's just a pile of parts: the two canisters and their filters, hose fittings for the canisters, a metal mounting bracket, pressure regulator and two hoses.

I have in my mind that I'd like to mount it in a box, maybe like a milk crate if I can find one, so that I can conveniently stow it in the back of my van when driving, but then easily take it out when I stop to fill up my water tank.

I have a standard RV water connector on the outside of my van that goes directly to my water tank, so I want to insert my new two-canister water filter between it and my water source.

I wonder if anyone has a good solution they'd like to share. A picture would be wonderful.

K

I have these:

"Essential System" from "RV Water Filter Store"

Dual Std Canister Mounting Bracket with Screws

that kit you posted is for the pressure side of your water system. the fill on your tank is gravity feed that filter will not work there. highdesertranger

Not enough information to be much help. Didn't instructions come with the filters? That would look bad for RV Filter Store, they do charge a lot of money. Here is my guess; Hose from yard bib to filter #a. Filter #a to filter #b. Hose from filter #b to rv fill port. Use the carbon filter as the last in line. I guess the gauge would be helpful to notice the filters are getting clogged. Put that on the hose from the yard bib. Mounting the filter assembly is a simple mechanical construction using nuts bolts and screws.

highdesertranger I am sorry for breaking the rules.

Weight you said "Mounting the filter assembly is a simple mechanical construction using nuts bolts and screws.". It's the "... simple mechanical construction ..." that I'm looking for ideas on.

I took a picture of my water filter kit. Is it ok to add it to my question? I think it would help people help me.

K

yes you can post pictures just no links that take you away from the forum.

like I already said that filter is for water under pressure(the pressure side) of your water system. your tank fill is gravity feed it is not under pressure. now you could put it on your city water hook up but that doesn't fill your tank.

highdesertranger

This is a picture of my water filter kit.

water_filter_kit.png

I put a banana in the picture to set the scale.

I wonder if anyone has ideas on how I can mount it in a box, maybe like a milk crate if I can find one, so that I can conveniently stow it in the back of my van when driving, but then easily take it out when I stop to fill up my water tank.

I have a standard RV water connector on the outside of my van that goes directly to my water tank, so I want to insert my "water filter in a box" between my van and my water source.

Does anyone have ideas on how I can build my box?

K

Attachments

• water_filter_kit.png
    water_filter_kit.png
    2 MB
Look at the top caps on the cylinders note that each cap has four holes that screws insert into, that is how the cylinders are going to be hung from the bracket.

Look at the bracket at the upper surface it has two holes with slots extending out from the middle of the hole. Those holes are where you put screws into secure the bracket to the sidewall of an RV cabinet. The large hole in the middle allows you to set the bracket over a screw that has been driven most of the way into the cabinet side. The slots are narrower and then you move the bracket to one side or another so the screws go into the narrow slots so the bracket does not slip off the screw. When you have it located just right you tighten the screw snug on the bracket so it can't move. Remember the bracket has to be mounted high enough so that there is room for the cylinders to be removed to service them. That distance is likely in the instructions for mounting the bracket onto a wall. If not measure the length of the cylinders and add another 3 inches or so to give you the height above a surface to mount the bracket

Now note that there are two sets of 4 holes each on the flat surface of the bracket. The set of four holes is where the screws to hold the caps to that bracket go through. Once again it has slots to allow for adjusting the location of the cylinders. Then when it is all adjusted tighten the screws.

It was not designed to be set loose into a box and moved around the Van. You risk cracking the plastic parts if they are not secured in place while the van is on the move. Also of course you want it to be upright as the design was intended.

Where you place the bracket will be determined by where the water enters into your van and where the water that goes to the faucet is located. This should be explained in the assembly directions that show the parts that belong on the intake side and the output side.

What maki2 has said. plus. You could mount the filters to a board. I would use a plywood panel appropriate size. If the filters mounted on a bracket were less than 12 inches, a 12 inch wide board would fit into a milk crate. As HDR has said, The filters are pressure filters. On a hose feed they can be used to fill any container that can be filled by a hose. Pressure filters can be in any orientation to filter water. But it is better to have them somewhat vertical. Like on a board leaning against the van. Packing the filters away would not be any more difficult than any other item you carry.

highdesertranger, maki2, Weight, thank you that helps a lot.

Weight I'll try your idea of just mounting the bracket to a board and securing the board to a milk crate.

K

Latest posts