hot or cold?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Off Grid 24/7 said:
As far as living IN my van, what the outside temperature is doesn't really matter to me, because I can keep my interior comfortable regardless.  Shade in the summer & sun in the winter do help, but having proper heating and cooling is what really keeps things comfortable.

Now if I'm spending a lot of time outdoors, then I'd say somewhere between 70 and 80 degrees is about right.

I am trying to make decisions now about AC for my van conversion. I plan to have solar power. I was told that the batteries would run the AC for only about one hour, so how will I keep cool after that? Any suggestions? (I live in Texas where the summers are blazing hot, so I need to be able to keep cool.)

Thanks,
roaddog

ahh_me2 said:
I much prefer cold!
Pretty much everything we do produces heat, so there is usually always a way to warm up.
I can't think of anything outside of A/C that produces cold, so when it's hot out or in the van, it's
much more difficult to cool it down.
This. Many ways to generate heat; two ways to lessen heat, one of them only effective in dry climates (A/C & evaporitive cooling)
Bitty said:
When I'm too cold, my brain slows to the consistency of molasses and my body does the same. I become pretty much a useless lump that requires concentrated effort to force myself to move at all.

When I'm too hot, I cannot go upright for long without passing out.

This for me except it's all heat.

I do not want on my tombstone or urn, "Died because of heat". This is why I have a combined 17 and a 1/2 Thousand BTUs of electric Air Conditioning in the van, 12,500 of it from a portable A/C, 5000 of it from a window A/C installed above the fridge. With a generator to power both at once if in a place where it's swealtering outside.

medium cold,it's in the 50's right now and i do not have socks or shoes on

I am comfortable between 45 and 75.  This is a sliding scale depending on wind speed, sunshine and humidity.  Of course the DW's range is different :p

: ) We prefer the Pacific North West.
45 to 75 is regular clothes weather for us (i.e. undershirt and camo)
Sleep at night without bothering with heat if above ~40.

Thom

I've used my trailer from 0 degrees to 117 degrees. Above 100 it's pretty difficult get comfortable, but pretty much anything below that I'm good to go.