Hooking to an r/v park outlet question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbert

Reaction score
I've never traveled to an r/v park before and am uncertain if there are restrictions as to how a user can plug into shore power. 

On my Transit 150 Van, I strung a conventional 120-volt plug with grounded wire and shove it thru a rubber grommet located at the spare tire jack compartment and then sneak the wire out underneath the van. 

Inside, the wire is connected to an outlet, which is attached to an interior wall I built up. 

I'm aware that there are not "general" rules ranging from park to park, however, I wouldn't want to be denied an opportunity to hook into an outlet at an r/v site if / when it came time to visit.

Anyone know if it is permissible to hook up a regular wire with ground straight into an outlet box? 

Thanks in advance.

They don't look inside your rig.
Most Campground power poles have a 30 amp outlet and a 15/20 amp outlet.
Some add a 50 amp outlet.

Your plug will go in the 15/20 no problemo
Some only have the 30 amp but you can get an adapter at Walmart or even the camp store if you run into that.

(the 30 is round and has 3 slots hot neutral ground and the 50 amp has 4 slots 2 hots a neutral and a ground,,,those are actually 2 - 50 amp circuits but there are also adapters for them too.)

Do Not, DO NOT, DO NOT assume that the park electrical outlet was wired correctly.  Too many of them are apparently wired by park "handymen" rather than by real electricians, and they sometimes get the wires crossed.  Savvy RVer's always check them with a simple tester like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Gear-5...5092&sr=8-2&keywords=electrical+outlet+tester

Many like to also get a small AC voltmeter that can be used to check for brown outs, which seem to happen a lot in hot weather when everyone in the park is trying to run air conditioners.

Finally, I recommend that you spend some time checking out the "No Shock Zone" videos on Youtube.

I've been boondocking for so long providing my own power that I never paid attention to that type of info in the forums. Going on the road I suppose there will be times I have to use a park even if I don't use their power.

I would suggest putting a fuse box in your van. One reason as stated above, you cannot trust someone elses wiring....and also, plugging into a 30 amp outlet with the adapter is putting 30 amps into your circuit which is likely designed for 15.

Totally agree with checking for correct wiring before you plug in. You cannot assume things are good to go.

Your 120 volt extension cord end will plug into the 15 to 20 amp outlets just fine. If you use an adapter to plug into the 30 amp outlet, you will not get 30 amps pushed into your wire. You will only take the amps your equipment uses. It is not a bad idea to have a fuse or breaker on your system. I use a quality outlet strip surge protector, with a built in reset-able breaker. Knowing how to use a multi-meter, and having one, should be a priority. The $5 tester posted above is also a handy device. No Shock Zone is a good read. http://noshockzone.org/are-little-shocks-ok/

Mike Sokol author of No Shock Zone is one of my "brothers of road sound engineering" a pretty sharp cookie !
Read the whole series 13 installments and earn some great electrical safety knowledge that you can pass on like you're an old pro too !

rvpopeye said:
Mike Sokol author of No Shock Zone is one of my "brothers of road sound engineering" a pretty sharp cookie !
Read the whole series 13 installments and earn some great electrical safety knowledge that you can pass on like you're an old pro too !

I was an amateur sound roadie for a few local bands back in the day.

I've got Mike Sokol's book on my Kindle.  Great read!