Honda's new Hydrogen Power Generator

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flailer

Reaction score
- Hydrogen powered car
- Hydrogen "Power Exporter" &
- Hydrogen Station

quote: "In addition to the FCV (car) and external power feeding device, Honda will further promote the application of the Smart Hydrogen Station (SHS) - a packaged hydrogen station unit that adopts Honda's original high-differential-pressure electrolyser"

article: http://auto.ndtv.com/news/honda-fcv...vides-electricity-in-times-of-disaster-699314

( i just thought this would interest some of you guys, even if not ready for prime time)

Hydrogen is not very practical. Highly corrosive, difficult to store, and NOT a energy source, it,s like a battery, you have use energy to make it by splitting water molecules to get the hydrogen. I would stay as far away from it as possible. Think Hindenburg.

I believe (believe, not know) it is a BAD idea, too.

Using elec to charge hydro-cells, & then back to elec again is... ahhh... well, stupid.

BUT: every energy source has an application

DazarGaidin said:
toyota just released a hydrogen car as well.

cool. I thought Honda and Toyota were in this project together , but i dont know :huh:

I don't understand why they are trying to make this gimmick a real thing. Hydrogen is more expensive to produce and sell than Gas, AND requires very specialized (even more than gasoline) pumps and charging stations that are also expensive. There is in no way this is economical or green since it burns coal in order to produce the proper hydrolysis.

Lithium is still the go to. Tesla is doing it right and showing you exactly how it can be truly zero emissions. Hell, even their new Gigafactory will be emissions free by producing all it's power through solar and wind! C'mon Toyota and Honda, step up your game!

Totally agree about Hydrogen, about as idiotic as electric cars. People who drive them thinking they are helping save the planet without realizing the coal powered electric plant 50 miles away spews just as much, if not more, carbon into the atmosphere to recharge their vehicle.

Phreedom said:
Totally agree about Hydrogen, about as idiotic as electric cars. People who drive them thinking they are helping save the planet without realizing the coal powered electric plant 50 miles away spews just as much, if not more, carbon into the atmosphere to recharge their vehicle.

That's not a fault of electric cars, that's a fault of the people charging them. Electric can be charged with wind and solar just as effectively (which is something Tesla is bringing to the table).

Electric cars actually help us nomads as well, because they can be used as our house-battery source when in need. Hydrogen on the other hand... It requires equal if not more energy be put into the car, out of the ground, to make it efficient. This makes it a bomb on wheels that's at a huge premium over electric. There's no point here as it's not truly green. Electric cars at least CAN be 100% green.

highdesertranger said:
come on nothing is 100% green. highdesertranger

As a design Eng, I worked for almost 2 decade with & within the semiconductor industry.

NEVER has there been an industry so UN-GREEN as semi. Not even earth movers; Not even off-highway industries are so toxic.

The " foot-print" of semi-devices - and YES, that includes solar - is so FAT, so HEAVY, so UN-GREEN, and TOXIC.... that it is beyond STUPID that anyone considers them GREEN.

But, that is the idiocy of human nature & politics. Hope overrides all truth & rational thought.

The least toxic substance used in the manufacturing of semi is 18 mega-ohm h2o (water. considered a solvent, a cleaning agent). In the manufacturing process, they use & waste so much that if the people knew they would call it criminal.

Lets not even talk about their use of: chemical vapor dispossession; additional solvents; hydrofloric acids, & the FACT energy consumption so high, that they can NOT rely on solar; that energy use that is so high, that they get discounts & subsidies or their operations wouldn't be possible.

Before that solar panel of yours, or other semi device, is even plugged in, before it is ever installed or used, it has 12+ years of earth-abuse to compensate for. (and that is the BEST pay-back model)

This is why what handy bob says about actual use of "green" technology interested me so greatly. What a BIG F'n waste the industry is.

Solar is VALUABLE in the proper application. And I use it. BUT -- just don't think you are fooling me when the PC crowd gets on a: Holier-than-thou, faith-based rant. The industry enjoys more faith-based "reasoning" than the church does.

If this response pisses you off, then you should consider if you are an ideologue, or not.

good pull gsfish. thanks for that review flairer I couldn't agree more. highdesertranger

Wood is green. Let's invent a car that runs on wood! It's renewable, and solar powered and with a pending global ice age, burning some wood could make it a little more tolerable. ;)