homelessness rate rises for elderly

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Compared to living on the streets, the trailer in a junkyard could have felt like a condo. And there are some people who enjoy the junkyard environment because you can search for abandoned treasures. What a blessing though, that he got that free meal delivered!

I have been homeless several times over my life, some where extended periods times,,, years in some cases. This because I've had disabilities all my life. I never done drugs or been an alcoholic, which is the standard first question. During some of these times I've worked full time, once working two jobs while being homeless. That's just the reality of being homeless in America. When a supervisor once saw all my stuff, back pack and so on and question this; I told him I didn't want to leave my stuff where I was staying because it would be stolen and denied I was homeless for fear I would loss my job.

Churches; My experience is that they are not set up for people that work and are homeless. They also (my opinion) many if not most, provide service so they can be in control over people and the money. The government hands churches large sums of money so they can distribute help as they see fit. An example is attending a church service to get a meal. I also was never willing to leave my cloths, bedding and personal items at the front door to board a bus or van to an unknown location to sleep for the night.

Just a different perspective...

Then again, he might have been abandoned by the children he raised. He might have disabilities that make it hard to communicate. He might have to make choices between spending his $757 Social Security check on his diabetes supplies (that Medicare doesn't pay for), or transportation and groceries. There are so many stories out there, so many lives that we have no way of knowing about if we don't ask.

In the various parking lots that I inhabit from time to time, I ask people about their stories. I'm a stranger who they will likely never see again, so they usually tell me. I'm totally floored at the number of destitute senior citizens living in disintegrating trailers and vehicles, who have functional adult children, who were functional adults themselves at one time, who are not alcoholics, yet somehow have ended up at the fringes of society, with no one taking care of them, until they die and someone notices the odor, and their bodies are carried off. What does this say about our civilization?

The Dire Wolfess

Sorry for your hard times, Ed.

I’ve had them too, tho I’m fortunate to have never been without a place to call my own.

Most of us have lived at least part of our lives near the bottom of the food chain, one meager paycheck away from disaster, whether we had a home or not.  A “there but for the grace of a God go I” thing.

I’m not familiar with churches that get money from the government to funnel to people.

I am familiar with churches that can and do provide limited amounts of emergency assistance to people in need, who take up donations for needed items after natural disasters, fires in their community, etc., have a tree at Christmas with foster child needs on tags for parishioners to take and fill, things like that.

I don’t go to church, but know people who do and who participate in these things.  There’s a church here that sponsors a food pantry and soup kitchen, too. 

I have also taken donations to churches who trucked them to areas after hurricanes, tornadoes and floods.

Like people, I guess, not all churches are the same.

Churches differ as much as people do. Have to gauge each one on its own merit, for an accurate perspective. Some dogma dictates attempts at conversion, others not so much. Non-denominational entities seem to be 'open'.

Interesting - well, I go to a church (nondenominational) so I'm not up on what all the denominational churches are doing to help. I know the Catholics take care of a lot of homeless people and there's a Union Gospel Mission for homeless women nearby and one for men and well, everyone, in Spokane. I don't know what their policies are on getting preached to when being helped. I know that's a problem for some, in some places, but not all.

The church I used to go to down the street has a food bank for anyone in the community, and has been known to help with rental deposits and utility bills for non-Christian community members. Probably every church is different so you'd have to ask.

In general, my feeling about it is that in Matthew 25:31-46 there's a parable that leads me to believe Christ wants us to provide hospitality, feed the hungry, give water to the thirsty, give clothes to those who need them, visit the sick and those who are imprisoned. That's what constitutes a good Christian and I think most Christians know that, so most are very willing to help people if they can.

WanderingRose said:
Sorry for your hard times, Ed.

I’ve had them too, tho I’m fortunate to have never been without a place to call my own.

Most of us have lived at least part of our lives near the bottom of the food chain, one meager paycheck away from disaster, whether we had a home or not.  A “there but for the grace of a God go I” thing.

I’m not familiar with churches that get money from the government to funnel to people.

I am familiar with churches that can and do provide limited amounts of emergency assistance to people in need, who take up donations for needed items after natural disasters, fires in their community, etc., have a tree at Christmas with foster child needs on tags for parishioners to take and fill, things like that.

I don’t go to church, but know people who do and who participate in these things.  There’s a church here that sponsors a food pantry and soup kitchen, too. 

I have also taken donations to churches who trucked them to areas after hurricanes, tornadoes and floods.

Like people, I guess, not all churches are the same.

Thanks for your thoughts, hope you understand I was trying to put my comments in context and not trying to gain sympathy. I don't wish my life on any body. But I have skills that are unmatched by but a few. I have never been found by law enforcement when sleeping. And there are maybe half a dozen places within walking distance I could sleep tonight,,, if I had to. I can't help to seek them out and make a mental note of these places wherever and whenever I'm out.

As far as blending as mentioned on this thread. I'm now an old guy with grey hair and a white beard (neatly trimmed). With my walker if I fell asleep on a bus stop bench hardy anyone would give a second thought. But if I was in my twenties with a back pack it would get some attention. Not that I would spend the night on a bus stop bench,,, too risky.

But I can fit everything I need in my walker and survive without drawing any attention to myself. As I said yesterday I'm very grateful, when rains I'm dry, when I sleep I'm warm and when I wake the coffee is hot. More then many have in this world. I will admit (although I don't own a car or drive) it's still amazing to me when riding in a car and it raining - that I am perfectly comfortable and dry, yet it's pouring. How lucky, still hard to get use to however.

Latest posts