High-Performance Tuner Chip & Power Tuning Programmer -Boost Horsepower & Torque!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacks18614

Reaction score
Anyone using one of these devices? I installed a Hypertech chip back in the day during the first year of ownership in my 1992 C-1500 café special and it made it much more drivable due to auto trans shifting ridiculously early and giving the TBI more fuel and air to eat. 

[img=436x317]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71Z-EPyAlvL._SL1500_.jpg[/img]
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077DLCV1G

The old Hypertech chip was not easily accessible due it being attached to the 1992 trucks computer which was located behind the glove box liner.

It's obvious that this device is going to burn more petrol increase top end speed while decreasing MPG but with the ability to remove a plug in from the front of the dashboard to tune the engine from I-40 in AZ & NM to I-95 in an instant is real convenient.

I have decided to use the OBD2 port as a real time smart scanner blue toothed to an old android phone dedicated to just this purpose mounted with a holder to the center of dash AC vent for one can never have too much information.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075FQH8JR

61e0pBgET%2BL._SL1000_.jpg

From what I have seen, boosting HP on a gas engine with these plug-in tuners is iffy...maybe a few percent gain...maybe. A complete ECM or PCM replacement chip/module can make some more ponies, but you really need to make some other modifications to get the full benefit. 

I use a ScanGaugeII on my van and I love having the information like transmission temp, horsepower, total fuel cost, plus the normal stuff like MPG, outside air temp, RPM, error codes, etc. 

I like them so well I ordered a new one for my new truck.

tx2sturgis said:
From what I have seen, boosting HP on a gas engine with these plug-in tuners is iffy...maybe a few percent gain...maybe. A complete ECM or PCM replacement chip/module can make some more ponies, but you really need to make some other modifications to get the full benefit. 

I use a ScanGaugeII on my van and I love having the information like transmission temp, horsepower, total fuel cost, plus the normal stuff like MPG, outside air temp, RPM, error codes, etc. 

I wish I had known. I can use some explaining about the one on our E450.

More horsepower and torque mean burning more fuel. The 4.8L engine in my van is merely adequate, but I can live with that since gas is my largest budget item.

GotSmart said:
I wish I had known. I can use some explaining about the one on our E450.

I remember that she bought a ScanGauge....I never thought to ask how it was working out. 

I assume it's plugged in and working?

I have a scanGauge and love it.

If you need more power, you have the wrong vehicle.

No one really needs more power, do they? But we all want more power, don't we?

I sent my ECM and TCM of my 2.4l Chevy Cobalt off to Wester's garage to have them tune it for my mods, which include a cold air intake, header and full exhaust to help the air move in and out easier. This gave me a little more horsepower, mainly by advancing the timing giving it more "dynamic compression" (as one's static compression ratio is fixed and cannot be changed without swapping pistons or milling the head). It also requires premium fuel to get the additional HP and MPG. BTW these changes are not just "seat of the pants" hope so results, but I had my car dyno'd afterwards to see the change. HP went from 172 to 199 (a 15% increase) and a avg. MPG increased from 32 to 34 mpg (a 6% increase during normal driving) - not too shoddy a gain for bolt-ons and tuning. The most impressive seat of the pants gain was the way it now shifts, as I requested a "tow tune" which changes the shift points and reduces slippage between shifts, firming up the shifts and reducing transmission temp. It wasn't cheap, but was worth it to me. Your mileage may vary. BTW my original engine lasted almost 400,000 miles before a rod bearing failed. I now have a new engine in it, and like a Timex, "It takes a licking and keeps on ticking."

Chip

Gas MPG went up? I guess that's possible but I would think most drivers who have some extra power added to their vehicle put their foot in it a little more 'because it's there'....and get less MPG.

One cannot compare vehicles that were designed in the early part of the Nixon administration to vehicles designed in this century when using electronic tuning enhancements.

Well, if you look at the history of EFI it goes quite a ways back. Tweaking the electronics could be done to enhance performance then but I'm sure the methods to do that would be way different from what you can do now.

^
PS: In post #10 he's talking about a Chevy Cobalt and not a Chevy Nova.

tx2sturgis said:

is this type of device available for my van?? 94 econoline 150 5.8l??? I don’t even have a tach and really can’t hear my engine enough at highway speeds to know my rpms. I would love to have a plug in device that could tell me all of this info you mentioned. MPG, trans temp, rpms and such. I want one if it’s available for my van.

Jaketheone46 Wrote:
is this type of device available for my van?? 94 econoline 150 5.8l??? I don’t even have a tach and really can’t hear my engine enough at highway speeds to know my rpms. I would love to have a plug in device that could tell me all of this info you mentioned. MPG, trans temp, rpms and such. I want one if it’s available for my van.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Scangauge II plugs into an OBDII port. These ports were not common until 1996. I don't know if your van has one or not.

I'd like a little more power for my Ranger but before I do anything for the power I'd like to increase my tow capacity. I have the 3.0 coupled to a manual transmission and 4x4. The specs say 147hp @ 5000 rpm. I'd love to swap out the stock clutch for a heavy duty one. I believe that is the weak point in my tow capability. My drive train combination only has a 2400 pound tow capacity but if I had an automatic and everything else the same the tow cap jumps up to 4200 pounds. I've read more than a few reports that the clutch is very light weight.

a tip on clutches, go with a semi-metallic clutch. a couple of things,
1st do not slip a semi-metallic clutch. in or out only, no half way. if you are slipping your clutch you need to be in a lower gear, if you don't have a lower gear you weigh to much.
2nd if your flywheel is expensive to replace don't do semi-metallic on the flywheel side only on the pressure plate side. the semi-metallic material tears up the surface, the pressure plate is disposable but some flywheels are pricey.
my truck weighs a lot, like 10k, I have had 2 clutches since 2000 and still going strong on the second. highdesertranger

Yeah, something that won't come apart if my trailer happens to end up 3000 pounds. I'm convinced the Vardo I wanting to build will come in under 2000 pounds less personal gear. I can live with the horsepower and I do have 4x4 low if I really need to crawl. I might add a few things that should help the mpg a little but all in all it gets decent miles even pulling that utility trailer loaded up with all kinds of crap. I bought it brand new in 1996 and it's been a great truck and I wanna keep it but to live the nomad lifestyle I'm gonna have to futz with it a little.