Hi, any suggestions for storing important Documents like birth certificates and Socia

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gnfshn603

Reaction score
Hi, Any suggestions as far as how to store important documents such as Social Security card birth certificates things of that nature? Thank you

I was thinking about a small fire safe bolted down, but a firefighter friend of mine said they could not withstand a vehicle fire because they get so hot with all the fuel and rubber tires. He suggested a DIY firebox made with many, many layers of drywall. Since I'm doing a van conversion, I've been thinking about where I could fit something like that in.

I live dangerously, I guess. Or maybe just stupidly. I figure if I can carry important documents like registration and insurance in the glove box, and never lose them or have them stolen in 50+ years of driving, then my other documents are safe, too, in just an envelope in the van. I guess if I were actually worried, I could leave copies with a family member.

I understand there's a tendency, when leaving the old life with its familiar levels of risk and danger, to imagine the new, unfamiliar levels of risk and danger will be worse. But they're not. They're just slightly different.

Take them along with you but leave a backup legal copy of your birth certificate and a duplicate social security card with a trusted individual. That way if there was something such as a car fire you could get those documents sent by priority shipping to you. You can get more than one copy of your birth certificate and social security card.

Of course if you do something such as spend the winter in Arizona you could rent a small safety deposit box in a bank for the season. That way you have a secure place that you don't need to worry about for fire or theft. Good place to keep a digital copy of your financial records such as tax documents. Just be sure you pay the rent on time!

Latest posts