Hey ya'll from older guy in desperate need to get away for awhile.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeker

Reaction score
To start I am married to a lovely lady and my best friend. We live in Saint Augustine, Florida a very fun place to live. I and others refer to it as a quaint little drinking village with a fishing problem. My wife a state employee works for the Florida National Guard Command Center. Her boss usually retires every 2 years as they are normally 1 or 2 star General and they are forced out at 64 years old. She is basically a secretary.

The best part was when she took the job I got free state insurance and could drop my group policy at my job. Thanks Tax payers!!! It was like getting a $4000.00 raise for me.

With health problems i really appreciated the insurance. Although i look and act fairly normal I have had MS (Multiple Sclerosis) for over 20 years. Because of my health and working more than 40 hours a week i would be pretty much an empty shell and done for by the time I got home of the evening. It was starting to affect the relationship with my wife and although I resisted she finally made . . . talked me in to quitting. So I am on disability now and my funds are very limited.

Sorry for the long winded history. I had a 1986 GMC Safari cargo van for 22 years. Never did anything other than throw a futon mattress in the back and it was great for travel or camping. Motor locked up one morning as it was idling while I watered some plants before work one morning. I think at around 160K. I put a Jasper motor in it myself even though i am not much of a mechanic. Got rid of it in 2008 when the transmission was going and got a hole in the fuel tank at the same time . . . mostly because i was wanting a Truck. I should have fixed it.

Now I just bought a 2006 Chevy Express 2500 cargo van with the 6.0L. It has 150K, the front grill smashed up and bumper tweaked pretty bad. The rear doors smashed beyond repair. Sounds bad but I got it cheap. I already fixed the bumper with a come along to a tree and beating the side supports back to shape, put a new grill and some Truck-Lite LED headlights that I paid too much for but really like them. Found some conversion van doors with the windows that open a little ways. Doors where black so they are at the paint shop and should be on the van by next week. Also found some almost brand new cargo racks on Craigs list for 50 bucks.

Now for the hard Decisions I need help with. I will seek your advice on insulation, Solar, battery banks, vents, fridge and ac maybe last as summer will be cooling down in several months.

I want be full time unless the wife makes that choice. She is Ok with me going 3 weeks or so at a time before coming home. My wife is looking forward to van camping again like in the Safari. I am going to get it ready to live in full time as you never know and I have been married several times. What can i say be prepared.
A SEEKER

Welcome! There are already numerous threads on insulation, Solar, battery banks, vents, fridge and ac... which I am sure you will find useful.

Yeah I have been reading almost every thread up to about page 18 so far. Will only seek advice to narrow down my choices some. This forum has great info and is very helpful. Some post are several years old and there may be newer products available now yall may be familiar with.

Thanks in Advance

A SEEKER

I have to question your choice of van. 150k miles is a lot, and the 6.0 liter engine won't get real good mileage. A lot of your choices will depend on how much you plan on driving, where you plan on driving, how much stuff you'll be hauling, etc. Everything in my last van could come out, there wasn't anything "built in". I had a cot, a little frig, a deep cycle battery and inverter, my bicycle, and several hundred musical instruments. I could empty the van in about 10 minutes and do whatever. My daughter moves every summer, so I'd use it for that. I go to Florida in the summer. There are lots of places you can camp in a van cheaply.

yeah lots of miles on it but hoping the 6.0 can make 250k at least. I have been driving a Nissan Quest soccer mom van and the 6.0 gets mostly 14MPG exactly same as the little Nissan. It got 18MPG with non ethanol gas. I picked this one up really cheap because of the body damage and that will have been totally fixed cheaply by the end of next week. Also 6.o motors can be found fairly cheap if it craps out but that's the last thing I need right now. I am more worried about the transmission holding up. It's fine now but I don't know how long they go in these Express vans.

I am keeping build simple. I want a very comfortable full size bed maybe latex on IKEA slats or home made., a fridge that sips on the batteries, roof vents at least 1, LED lighting, Maybe built in sink and water tank. Enough solar to power everything. I will not be full time in van yet but it will be in it too many weeks a month that it has to be liveable.

By next summer I need some kind of AC in it that a Honda 2000 can push as that is all I can afford and the bigger generators would use too much fuel also. I am trying to not have the rear window ac unit for different reasons. Wish the coleman 9200 rooftop would work with the Honda 2000. Have a friend that is a wizard with AC systems. He thinks we can take the condenser out of a window unit and install it under the van with an added fan and install the ac unit on a shelf or some kind of mount in the van and make it work. I questioned dirt and all under the van and he thinks I can just hose it off occasionally. Anyhow I know I can make everything but the AC work with some advice from ya'll on what I need for the solar set up. This is all I can afford and if I could afford an RV I would still go with a van for the stealth factor alone.
A SEEKER

I fully approve of your van! I bought my 2001 Chevy Express 3500 with 350 (5.7 liter) and it had 150K also. You're 6.o liter gets better MPG and has more power.

That van gives you more choices than most. When you're ready to go even if your wife is reluctant to live in the van she will probably be willing to go in a small travel trailer. Your van can easily tow one! I'd suggest you turn her onto RVSue and Crew. She's a retired lady who lives and travels all over in her van towing a Cassita Travel trailer. A very good choice!
http://rvsueandcrew.net/

My guess is you have the same 4 speed trans as I have in mine (the 4L80). If so it has the reputation of one of the BEST trans ever put in an American vehicle. It's built to work hard and last a long time.
Bob

Yea. Mini vans do well if there empty. Loaded there on par with the full size models. Good choice.

The AC unit in the window wasn't working for me either. I hid mine behind a spare tire carrier I made. At 5000btu it struggles with the heat of the day in Florida.
vuru2ygy.jpg

On paper the small Honda could power this AC unit. Think it specs. at 4.4 amps.

The location isn't the best for circulation and I keep a fan running also.
y9egegyv.jpg

Bob, yeah I searched for a 6.0 on purpose and they are a little harder to find. Took a plane ride several states away to purchase it. Found it in the middle of Nowhere Tennessee. It was a tiring way to purchase a vehicle and if it had not worked out would have been a long bus ride back to Florida. Drove it from Tenn. over a lot of Mountains to a buddies in North Carolina and the right front wheel hub probably only had a few miles left because it started hell of a noise a few miles before I got there. His buddy had a service shop owed him a favor and worked on it replacing the hub, all the brakes, front end alignment, Rear end conditioner and checked it over good. All it cost me was close to $300.00 in parts. This guy worked on my van while my buddy and I walked a few blocks to a fun little tavern and ate and drank beer most of the day and had a great time in the middle of the day. It got me back to Florida and my new to me conversion van doors will be installed by middle of next week so I can start the build. Thanks in advance for any advice I may need to ask.

Bdog1, That is a very nice install in your rear door. It probably would not work for me because I will have a full size bed across the back. I saw some ones post where they installed in a cabinet and vented out the side I am considering now. One of my concerns is my battery banks I am considering building in behind the driver seat up against the metal bulkhead divider that came in my van. Don't know if could install AC on that same side also.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's advice as this build gets started.
A SEEKER

Bdog1 said:
Yea. Mini vans do well if there empty. Loaded there on par with the full size models. Good choice.

The AC unit in the window wasn't working for me either. I hid mine behind a spare tire carrier I made. At 5000btu it struggles with the heat of the day in Florida.
vuru2ygy.jpg

On paper the small Honda could power this AC unit. Think it specs. at 4.4 amps.

The location isn't the best for circulation and I keep a fan running also.
y9egegyv.jpg

I run the 5,000 BTU ac in my Aliner with a cheap 1,200,1,600 watt Triron camping genny. It's pretty quiet, but a Honda EU2000 (a 1,600/2,000 watt inverter genny) is even quieter (though 3 times the price of my cheap, yet reliable Chinese genny I got from Home Depot about 4 years ago. Reflectix over the windows (held up with velcro) helps insulate it quite a bit in both hot and cold weather. It stops light escaping and prying eyes too.
10mlhyv.jpg

Chip

My work van is a 2007 3500 with a 6.0 in it. It has about 90k on it and it runs like brand new I love that engine. I regularly tow 8 to 9k with easily.

The Express is a great van, sometimes MPG is really not something to factor in, the difference between say 12 and 15 over 1,000 miles, meh, who cares if you enjoy driving it. And as Bob said, the 4L80e is an awesome trans!

As for solar, I love 24v battery banks, 2 of the lower cost grid tie panels running at 48v into an MPPT charge controller and four 6v golf cart batteries should handle any and everything you throw at it.

You can do and get away with less for sure but that would be a nice, easy system to put together.

Latest posts