Hello

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treesprite

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Thank you for making this forum available and useful.

I finally got an old van today, a 1996 Ford e150 cargo van, to do a conversion. I currently have a converted Kia Soul which works for short camping trips but would be difficult to live in should this pandemic make me unable to pay the rent. A few weeks ago,  when I was pretty certain I might have to live in that Kia, I ended up taking money out of my retirement to pay the  back rent, and took out a few extra thousand to buy a cheap old van to convert in case I need to move into it.

This is the link to my Kia Soul camper video 

it was too dark when I got home with the van to take pictures of it but I'll try to document what I do with it , and keep praying then I don't ever have to actually live in it. It runs well and the outside isn't terrible for such an old vehicle, but the interior is dirtier than sin - it will take me at least a month to clean it up before I can even begin the conversion. I specifically wanted a 1996 because it has a "straight six" engine (I figured if I'm gonna use what little cash I have to buy a cheap old van, it should have the best a great engine that will last a really long time).

Welcome to the CRVL forums treesprite!  Those old Ford 300 inline sixes were the bomb.  Since this is a 150 (1/4 ton), please keep your build light as in no 2x4 construction.  Check out the Van section for ideas and to ask specific questions.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. 

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome tree sprite, There are lots of folks in your situation right now you’re planning ahead is smart but I’m praying that none of the folks in this situation are going to end up with nothing.. I don’t always get what I want so I’m glad you are preparing for the worst. It’s been said many times but your plan for the worst and hope for the best. I am a van dweller because I wanna see the country and the only way I can do it on my limited income is the CRVL way. I moved out of inefficiency apartment so I could afford a van and now I have been living in it full-time since June 1. I’m keeping warm in Florida now, Pennsylvania was too cold to stay for the winter. .I’ve run into some health issues here but I’m going to try to conquer them to. Best wishes in you planning and preparing.

Welcome to the forum, treesprite! Nice kia conversion, can't wait to see what you do with the van.
-crofter

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome and sharing your experience!

I read the forum rules before registering. I have run forums in the past, so I really wish more people would read first.

I can't express enough how happy I was to come across this forum. I felt a bit out of place on forums for people who have simply chosen to live in campers and camper vans even with plenty of financial resources. People shouldn't have to feel bad or out of place just because they don't have a lot of money.