Hello from Texas

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoyceN

Reaction score
:shy: Hello everyone, just a quick intro...I am 58 years old and I am 11 months away from leaving my factory job. I have been planning and reading and planning for this new chapter of my life and I can hardly wait for the next year to come! I recently bought a 2012 E150 ford cargo van and I love it. Have been working on the layout and I think I have change my mind a hundred times already! I am here to learn and just enjoy people of like mind.

Hello? Don't you mean, "Howdy."  I escaped Texas a long time ago...glad to hear you'll be making your way out on an adventure soon.  I hope it will be everything you've imagined.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Joyce! We all love to see new builds so don't forget to post pictures as you progress. It's an exciting and fun process -hope to see you on the road next year!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hi, Joyce, and welcome.

The silver lining to having another 11 months on the job is that it gives you plenty of time to refine what you think will work for you. Maybe you can do a couple of basic things like your bed and try that out on short weekend camping trips? Also I've seen some recommend making paper or cardboard cutouts of the "footprint" of each item you will have... lay those on your van's floor to see the floorspace that is left, etc.

Use they time to play with ideas and do more research.. I bet the time will fly by.

Welcome, :) 

So you're fixin to get a Van set up and hit the road !  Well, I think you will enjoy it and you've landed at the right place for information.  

With 11 months to go, you could have that E 150 set up for some week end "shake down" trips to get
your feet wet and have a better working idea of what will suit you and serve you.  (and still have 10 months
to experiment on the days off   :D )

Take a look at the links in my signature line below.  The first one could get you set up in a week or so worth of
work and just a few bucks of investment. (Just for starters)

Welcome from another Texan  :)  There seems to be quite a few of us on here.  Born in Iowa and raised in Texas.  I hate mowing the grass less than shoveling snow :p  You will find a wealth of knowledge here.

Welcome aboard Joyce
Step 1: get a van......check

Hi Joyce, nice to meetcha. 2 years ago this Feb I bought myself a Valentine's present -- 2002 E350. I love it so much if I could wrap my arms around it and give it a big hug I would. Built in some simple stuff (Sassypickins Van) and it's been my little slice of heaven ever since.

I hope you will have oodles of fun preparing for your next life adventure!

Sassy

Hi Joyce and welcome. About 8 months ago I began my final plans to become a full time van dweller and finally 2/1/16 I will see my dreams come true. I bought a 22 ft used Class B van, put in retirement notification for Feb 1, got insurance, and the day after my last day of work I'm heading to Texas. I will need a permanent address for SSA and Medicare so I'm going to become a resident. The planning was delightful, challenging and worth every moment. So enjoy the journey and know you will see your dreams come true.

WriterMs said:
Hi, Joyce, and welcome.

The silver lining to having another 11 months on the job is that it gives you plenty of time to refine what you think will work for you. Maybe you can do a couple of basic things like your bed and try that out on short weekend camping trips?  Also I've seen some recommend making paper or cardboard cutouts of the "footprint" of each item you will have... lay those on your van's floor to see the floorspace that is left, etc.

Use they time to play with ideas and do more research.. I bet the time will fly by.
Thanks! Great suggestions and as soon as this o/t at work stops I plan on some weekend trips.

B and C said:
Welcome from another Texan  :)  There seems to be quite a few of us on here.  Born in Iowa and raised in Texas.  I hate mowing the grass less than shoveling snow :p  You will find a wealth of knowledge here.

Born in Indiana and moved to Texas at 19. I couldn't agree with more on the "shoveling snow" part! Thanks for the welcome.

sillysal54 said:
Hi Joyce and welcome.  About 8 months ago I began my final plans to become a full time van dweller and finally 2/1/16 I will see my dreams come true.  I bought a 22 ft used Class B van, put in retirement notification for Feb 1, got insurance, and the day after my last day of work I'm heading to Texas.  I will need a permanent address for SSA and Medicare so I'm going to become a resident.  The planning was delightful, challenging and worth every moment.  So enjoy the journey and know you will see your dreams come true.

Thanks for the welcome and I am so excited for you...your almost there!

Joyce, I just realized I should have qualified my comment by saying I'm not in my van full-time. That makes a difference, I'm sure, in how what I said might be received. Sassy