Hello from NY

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopeful70

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am a newbie here and I am happy to meet everyone. Hoping to find some good info here as I am looking to stay in my car in the northern parts of NYC (upper Bronx/Westchester) soon. I know I am not picking the ideal time to attempt this as winter is approaching, but I am really without much of a choice at this point. I will be looking for ways to deal with the cold. Its really your typical story of employeed but cant afford the sky high rent. Last week my landlord asked for my last fifty bucks to my name and that was it. I snapped. They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome lol. Getting off of this hamster wheel once and for all. 

Like one of the previous posters, I hope I am not breaking any forum rules here by venting. I am a domestic violence survivor and have been struggling to financially keep it together for the last few years. I have two older children who are now off to school. They have an affordable apartment in an affordable area that is in my name, so I will have a home base so to speak (for mail and such). I am just really thankful that they are settled somewhere and doing ok. 

Bobs videos have been a God send for me. I see that I am not alone and many people are dwelling in vehicles (some by choice and others forced). One thing I have noticed is that most who are forced usually end up liking or loving it. Some say they wouldnt return to a brick and mortar home. I also have an aunt who is a full time rv nomad who LOVES it. 

I have decided to purchase an inexpensive car just for the purpose of having some security here in the city and then saving money to upgrade. If anyone has any tips on finding inexpensive cars and which cars are better for car dwelling I would welcome the advice. Going to get myself a zero degree sleeping bag, a 12 volt heated blanket, a gym membership, and a memory foam and just see if I cant get my life back on track and get off of the hamster wheel. I also want an emergency fund to go inside on super cold evenings or during storms. When I do get a better vehicle I may make my way out west to meet some other people doing the same thing. Nice to be here!

Welcome.. I wish you luck with that. Any chance you could move somewhere warm? I just came out of a cold climate in North Idaho where mornings were below freezing. Very hard to wake up into. Hope your van will have a space heater and good insulation.

Hello. I will actually most likely be car dwelling in the beginning and I am looking at safe ways to remain warm. I know it wont be a picnic but I figure it cant be any worse than the crushing money anxiety that wakes me up at night. The fear of not being able to pay the "lord of the land" lol. I do plan to put a little aside for super cold nights. I would either get a hotel room or crash with a friend for nights when its dangerously cold. I have considered moving but I have a new job opportunity and I really dont want to leave. I grew up in a warm climate but have adjusted to the cold over the last few years somewhat. Funny thing is last year, my heat went out during a storm. I was like I am literally paying 2000 a month to camp in my apartment lol. There is a lovely campground just north of the city that I would like to spend some time at as well when the weather is better. Looks like a nice community of folks stay there year round.

Welcome to the CRVL forums hopeful70! You can do this but it won't be easy. Please feel free to come to the forums for help with questions that you have and make sure to keep us updated!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

rvwanderingThanks so much for your welcome and the encouragement. I appreciate it a lot.

@hopeful70

Welcome to the forums! I read your situation and dang! It's your decision, and you know best, but I can't help thinking you might be better off in a small minivan. You're going to pay about the same, and you've got so much more room than a car. It's easier to be stealthy in a van. I had a 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan for a while, got it cheap; it had the sliding doors on both sides, and If I took all the seats out of the back, you could fit a full-sized refrigerator with room to spare because I did. I moved it for a friend. With the 3.0 V6, it got 19 city and 29 highway. I'm down in Houston at present, be on the road by spring, and if I can be of any help, feel free to call on me.  James

Thanks so much! I have considered the mini van and I havent marked it off my list. If I can find one priced really well I will definitely go with it. I have been watching tons of videos on insulating etc. but well lets just say I\'m not really that handy lol. I can learn though if the situation calls for it. It would be super nice to be able to really stretch out and make it my own. Tonight I was walking around my current block looking at places I would park. This particular area of the Bronx has loads of parking and its super quiet. Really unusual for NYC. Just wish I wasnt paying 1400 for a garage apt with no windows LOL. I'll be off work in the summers, so I can head down to hang with the kids in the air conditioning lol. I figure weather wise there will be two months that will be really tough. Its super nice here right now. Thanks for the warm welcome!

I will second the Dodge Caravan idea. I had a 1999 Chrysler Town & Country that I could put a full size air mattress in the back, and still have room behind the seats for clothes, and a cooler (with the rear seats removed). These vans are cheap, and reliable.

Hiya hopeful70, I'm also based in NYC.

I had to let my apartment go, too -- just last month -- and could not afford anything else, so I essentially became homeless. Fortunately, I received some money that I'd been due for several years from a court settlement, so I was able to fly to another state to stay with a relative. I bought an SUV there, where cars do not rust - but then I drive back here and suddenly I'm confronted by a "bomb cyclone" storm and rainy days ever since arriving! Go figure.

Last night was my first night sleeping in the SUV I bought. I decided to start in a suburb outside the city, but will spend time sleeping in my car on NYC streets as well, in Manhattan which is familiar to me (all these years in NYC and I never really got to know the outer boroughs). I have a lot of stuff in storage that I need to deal with, including inventory for a micro-business I was trying to get off the ground, so I do need to be near NYC for now. I'm a little afraid that rats might get into the car, but hopefully that won't happen.

I plan to travel a bit and have several ideas for getting work on the road as well as another micro-business I want to start. I'm hoping I can also find a way to manage my existing business if I can figure out what to do with the inventory.

After never having owned a vehicle EVER, I bought one. After rarely ever driving during the 30+ years I've lived in NYC, I drove through several states, and through mountains, to get back home after buying the SUV. I'm a single woman with a slight physical disability doing this. You can do it, too. Stay positive!