Hello from Kansas

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As a child, my family always camped, lakes and the Rocky Mountains.  We camped quite a bit as our children were growing up.  It's always been my dream to hit the road & see this beautiful country we live in. We've owned & camped in just about every type of arrangement from tent & most RV types.  I've never camped in a van (my dream) or a Class A

We currently own an older Class C, which we have traveled quite a bit in, over the last year, since retirement.  However, The Old Farmer would prefer a 5th wheel or travel trailer.  As with all RV types there are pros & cons.  I like the drive ability of our Class C & the fact that I can go directly from the cab to the camper, without getting out.  We were able to get into some off the road sites, that I prefer.

My hubby wants to be able to set-up camp and be able to drive off to explore.  I do like this.  My concern is being able to navigate to those off the road places.  The 5th wheel we are looking to purchase, in only 25 ft.

I'd be interested in hearing others thoughts on navigating in a smaller 5th wheel. The selling point for me, is a separate space to sleep  Due to some minor health concerns, we need a north south bed

You can always tow a car with a class C. But you have your choice of which vehicle to tow. With a 5th wheel you're buying a truck and most will get 8-13 MPG with a gas engine. It'll be better with a diesel but much more expensive repairs.

With a Class C you can tow an economy car and get 40-50 mpg, or a Jeep and go truly anywhere, or a Tacoma and have more storage--your choice!!

Welcome Old Farmers Wife to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Welcome aboard !
You and the Old Farmer have found a good place to get and share info.

Welcome! Options are hard to pick from...Im still trying to decide. Even with 5th wheels you can get to some back country. Maybe not as far with a van but even seen some Class Cs get out far. Id too like to know how well your Class C is running

Putts said:
How well is your Class C running?
He runs very well.  And was totally refinished when we bought him a couple years ago.  He's a 1983 Chevy Tioga.  My husband likes to work on older vehicles, so is very particular about keeping him in good mechanical condition.  We've several people wanting to buy him, but weren't ready to sell yet.

I did a couple videos on him, on my YouTube Channel.  Eddie the RV :)

akrvbob said:
You can always tow a car with a class C. But you have your choice of which vehicle to tow. With a 5th wheel you're buying a truck and most will get 8-13 MPG with a gas engine. It'll be better with a diesel but much more expensive repairs.

With a Class C you can tow an economy car and get 40-50 mpg, or a Jeep and go truly anywhere, or a Tacoma and have more storage--your choice!!

Thank-you.  He bought a 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually, diesel, getting 20-22 mpg now.  Bought it from a friend who pulled a 40' 5th wheel.  
We just got home from making a deal on a 25' 5th wheel.  He promised it was small enough to get to the boondocking spots I prefer :) 

So guess we'll be selling Eddie (my class C)  I did a couple videos on him, on my YouTube Channel.  Hubby is able to work on older vehicles, so has kept him in good condition

We do have some members that are looking for a vehicle.
You should post a price and pics here in the Trading Post forum (lots of us don't have bandwidth to view ytoob vids). maybe add where it's located too.
Once you have made 10 posts you can add a link to the vids !

What is your CURRENT surface transport? (your everyday car)

Economy car? Large pickup? Generic sedan? And if you trade it and sell your Class C how will you fare?

Lots of ways to look at the situation.

Let us know!

:cool: