Hello from JamesAdam

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesAdam

Reaction score
The cost of living in Seattle is outrageous!  I have been living in my 1991 Toyota Previa mini-van since December 23, 2016.  I've watched numerous YouTube videos on vandwelling and have learned that there are quite a few people living in their vehicles.  I would like to thank the many people for the tips and suggestions I've learned.  

I'm James Adam.  Originally from Tulsa, Oklahoma, I've traveled by Planes, Trains & Automobiles to just about every state in the USA.  Living in Seattle for the last couple of years, I realized that the vandwelling lifestyle is the most economical way for me to live and enjoy the things life has to offer.  
When it gets cold, my plan is to head south to the California/Arizona border on I-10 that Bob Wells highlighted on a YouTube video.  
Have a great summer, I look forward to meeting you in person.
JamesAdam

Welcome to the tribe JamesAdam!

Keep us posted on your progress and ask any questions you have getting set up ...

Welcome to the CRVL forums JamesAdam! We have many members who live in the PNW so you're in good company. :) Any tips you can to share about vandwelling in Seattle?

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

rvwandering said:
Welcome to the CRVL forums JamesAdam!  We have many members who live in the PNW so you're in good company. :)  Any tips you can to share about vandwelling in Seattle?

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.   We look forward to hearing more from you.
I use Planet Fitness for showers, WiFi and bathrooms.  The local Churches have free community meals everyday.  I stay in a church parking lot's Safe Parking program at night.  The Seattle area's weather is very comfortable, even the Winters are mild here.  The Seattle mayor declared a State of Emergency for the homeless problem here.  The cost of renting a no bedroom apartment starts around $800.00 per month.  In my opinion renting an apartment is a bad investment. The Gangbanger problem is really bad here.  The younger generation doesn't make enough money to survive so they have turned to Anarchy for survival.   I live out of my van, it works for me.

(Waves)
JamesAdam

Welcome to the forum you will enjoy the people they really do their best to share the information. I do my best to find the lowest plausible life and so far that is possum living. You look at our books/finances and say OMG you people are spending a lot we are too. But we are set where if we needed to we could live here on very little. Owning your home debt free in a place where taxes will not eat you is key Louisiana cost nothing in house taxes if your place does not show a worth of $75K you pay no taxes so we learned that fact and said what is the point of getting the 2nd home we stuck with the starter home and called it good. 2nd to that is being in proximity to the health care you require to remain healthy if you live out in the stix and it is going to cost you hotel every time you get a suggestion to get test you are going to go broke or die younger. If you are a van dweller this means you will want to almost have dual residency? Health insurance is strange almost as if you are not suppose to leave the area you live in that or claim residency in a state that you are most likely to be closest to TEXAS is a huge state not hard to get to the border of TX from almost any state in the union except NE. The lowest cost to live IMHO would be living out a back pack no car at all. Living out a back pack with a scooter is all one would need reason is a scooter cost me just $75 a year insurance fuel is comparable to a Prius. Insure that bike for loss due to theft. Follow the weather and keep that PLNT-NYSE membership. IF the MC is too hard then go for an economy car my choice is the Prius V for more space but I still own my Prius gen 2 that I purchased new in 2007 gen 2 is enough room if you remove the center console passenger seat and the 60% out the rear seat. . If it is still running , I will keep running it. Live by the motto never let perfection get in the way of good enough. IF you can accept that motto then you will get a low mileage used car vs a new one. Cars are not like buying a bus pass they cost a lot more. WELCOME.

I lived in my van for two years. I moved back to Tulsa, OK in Dec. 2018. My All Bills Paid Apartment cost less than living in my van. I have a company car I bring home. I have owned my Toyota Van for Eight Years now. I have added 400 Watts of Solar, 40 Amp Mppt Solar Charger, a 20 Amp DC/DC Charger, Two100ah Lithium Self Heated Batteries, and a Ceramic Heater.

If I get into a situation that requires me to live in my van again, I'm much better prepared now.

Glad to hear things are working out for you! Thanks for the update. It took me almost 30 years to be able to feel comfortable financially before going back on the road and then it was only a few years before I found snowbirding between a couple home bases worked. Now at 70 years old I'm about ready to live on the road again, I guess you really never get the feeling it gives you totally out of your system! LOL!!! Keep us updated, sounds like a good set up you have discovered.