Heading for the Horizon

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lifemagician

Reaction score
Stumbled across this website today... wish I had found it twelve months ago.<br /><br />As an Australian I visit North America regularly.&nbsp; Two of my children and five of my grandchildren live on the east coast.&nbsp; In an effort to establish some sort of relationship with the grandchildren, I come accross as often as I can.<br /><br />My first visit was in 2001, for my son's wedding.&nbsp; That time, in order to see some of the country, I relocated cars for the AutoDriveAway company, mostly choosing vehicles which were going to destinations of which I had never heard.&nbsp; That was a thirteen week visit.&nbsp; In 2004 I requested, and was granted a visa which allowed me to stay up to six months.&nbsp; Once again most of my travelling in between visits with family and friends was done relocating cars.&nbsp; That visit was for 19 weeks.<br /><br />Those two visits saw me relocate some two dozen cars covering almost 50K miles - three coast to coast trips and two border to border, as well as many other trips in between.<br /><br />When I again visited in 2007 my son had a 'spare' Toyota Camry which he loaned me for the six months, so that I could do some more sightseeing.&nbsp; 2009 Saw another six month visit for which friends offered to loan me a Dodge Caravan which they were going to sell.<br /><br />It was with the Dodge that I got my first taste of van living.&nbsp; With the seats removed, a mattress and a cooler it became my comfortable little home on wheels.&nbsp; <br /><br />But I needed a vehicle of my own.&nbsp; I needed the independence and freedom which it would provide.&nbsp; Having finally overcome the hurdles the US puts in place to prevent non-residents from registering and insuring a vehicle in their own name, I was now on the lookout for a van... a Campervan!<br /><br />After months of searching a suitable vehicle was found in PA and bought over the internet from half a world away.&nbsp; How this was done, the process and all is documented on another forum.&nbsp; (I am not sure what the protocol is of including a link to it.)<br /><br />The 14 year old one-owner Ford E150 HiTop Conversion Van had a mere 62K on the clock.&nbsp; It is in excellent condition.&nbsp; I could not be happier.&nbsp; Over the last three months it has been from the east coast to MN, to MO and through western Canada to Deadhorse in AK and Yellowknife in NWT.... and back.&nbsp; Next week it heads down the east coast to Orlando, Ft Lauderdale and Key West.&nbsp; Most of its nights are spent at 24 hr Truck Stops / Travel Plazas.<br /><br />So that's a little about my life and how/why I became a vandweller... and as I said at the beginning, I wish I had found this site and forum a year ago.&nbsp; I have learned so much already, just reading of other people's experiences.<br /><br />Lifey<br /><em>Heading for the Horizon</em>

<p>Greetings!&nbsp; It sounds like you are enjoying some awesome travels...&nbsp; I hope to do the same some day.<br /><br />If you come through Iowa (MN to MO), say hi along the way.&nbsp;&nbsp; *smile*<br /><br />Have a good one!</p><p>Brad&nbsp;</p>

Thanks guys.&nbsp; Yeah, my kids are convinced I have lost my marbles.&nbsp; I get up in the morning, see which way the wind blows, and head out to follow it.<br /><br />Brad, will do!&nbsp; ;-)<br /><br />Some great truck stops in Des Moines, and of course, wifi at all the rest areas, albeit limited to one hour.&nbsp;&nbsp; :-(<br /><br />As of tomorrow, all my efforts will go into finding a place to store the van, till my next visit.<br /><br />Lifey