Heading for Arizona in October

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rico

Reaction score
:D Hi to everyone!! My name is Rick. Dropping by to say "Hello" to you all. I have been living in the Northwest for the last 50 years or so and due to the economy and health reasons have decided to head south for the winter and do some boondocking in the desert. I grew up in Mesa, Arizona so the desert is somewhat of a familiar place and I loved it then and as an adult I am looking forward to the experience once again. My only reservation is that I know absolutely no one in the Southwest and I am hoping to meet some fellow nomads when I arrive. Not sure yet if I am going to be landing in Quartzsite or Ehrenburg or ???. After watching many of Bobs' videos both sound good. Anyway, I am open for suggestions and recommendations, ideas, insight, direction, and the opportunity to meet and spend time around like minded folks. I am not a vandweller and right now I have a 96 4runner and may have a small utility trailer that I may be pulling behind.....................Would love to hear from you :cool:

I'm currently in Payson for the summer, but I have an annual spot in a 55+ park where I park my class a in Apache Junction. I'm hoping to get out and travel more this winter, including going to Quartzsite in January. I'm thinking that October will still be hot to be down south. You might want to tarry a bit in the Flagstaff area where the folks are boondocked now. Stay up on the Rim for a few weeks. I plan to. I went back to the Valley in September last year and vowed I wouldn't show up till the end of October down there again.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Rico! Check the "Gatherings" section to see where everyone is located once you get to Arizona. People start gathering in Ehrenburg when the weather cools off enough to make it pleasant. Everyone spreads out so it's not as easy to meet people. There are usually some group meals and get togethers but you'll have to work a little at being social at other times.
The RTR gathering at Quartzsite is much more compact. It's really good way to meet people, learn a ton of stuff, and check out all of the rigs. It can be too intense for more solitary people but there's plenty of room to move away from the crowd if it's too overwhelming.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome aboard Rico !
You just found a huge bunch of new friends...
I agree that you should stop in the area around Flag till it starts to cool down in the Q/Ehrenberg desert.

I'll be back to the van life by the time you're down here. I'm in the southern AZ high desert though. A LOT cooler here vs Phoenix/Tucson.

rvwandering said:
Welcome to the CRVL forums Rico!  Check the "Gatherings" section to see where everyone is located once you get to Arizona. People start gathering in Ehrenburg when the weather cools off enough to make it pleasant.  Everyone spreads out so it's not as easy to meet people. There are usually some group meals and get togethers but you'll have to work a little at being social at other times.
The RTR gathering at Quartzsite is much more compact. It's really good way to meet people, learn a ton of stuff, and check out all of the rigs. It can be too intense for more solitary people but there's plenty of room to move away from the crowd if it's too overwhelming.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.   We look forward to hearing more from you.

Thank you for the information!!! Socialization would be wonderful considering that being up in the Salem, Oregon area all winter has been rather socially constipating for me. Looking forward meeting like minded people that are adventurous and nomadic!!

Gideon33w said:
I'll be back to the van life by the time you're down here. I'm in the southern AZ high desert though. A LOT cooler here vs Phoenix/Tucson.

Thanks Gideon!! I appreciate your response. When I head south I plan on going through the Flagstaff area so I may hang there for a while till it cools off enough in the Q/Ehrenburg area.

When in AZ you can winter in Phoenix or Tucson but be N or S come summer. South has the advantage of being much cheaper than north.
This entire month is supposed to be right at 90 in the high desert here by the way. WAY better than the low desert.
When AZ just had that record tying heatwave phoenix was over 120 and we got up to 105 for 1 day.

I don't do excessive heat!! Arizona temps around Phoenix are somewhat familiar from growing up down there and recalling a couple of times when visiting there in the 1970s. Flagstaff or Payson area may be a good stop over on my way to the desert.