Hard knock life - harder than thought

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think my biggest complaint about the "workkamp in exchange for a free site only" people is that they forget to mention they have a alternate source of revenue while they wax on about how wonderful it is to "give back". Every person I have spoken to (in person... not online) has eventually told me either they have a hefty income from a pension or two and/or stocks OR they were running on the last of their savings to their next planned workkamping location because they "didn't realize" they couldn't live on free sites alone (3 different folks... are you kidding me? and no, I did not ask if they were idiots or if their momma dropped them on their heads as babies). Too many folks don't realize that you can actually work a "regular" job and still live in an RV. Nor do you have to work at a the much loathed "big box stores" since the little box chains and mom & pops also hire on cashiers, etc. On many of the fulltimer forums, David & I are not considered to be "real" fulltimers becasue we have been in our current location since 2011. And we will not leave here until Sept 7, 2015 (just 348 more days!!!!!!!) and start drifting back east (with $$ saved from that pesky big box store). But since we don't move every few days, we aren't fulltimers. We live fulltime, 24/7/365-366, in our Residential Vehicle. I do believe that is fulltime. I even told that to some silly person who was complaining that she couldn't go "fulltime" yet because she has a house and job. Silly person doesn't realize that she is in the perfect position to get all set up to fulltime/travel while she has the luxury of being in a place where she can find reliable folks to do what ever remodeling or mechanical work needed while she is unloading the house and stuff.

As for the silly boy complaining about the older RV. We lived in a much older RV than he has. It was a 1976 (still is being lived in but really needs work again). We did a lot of work on the Class C before we moved into it. When buying a used RV (motorized or towable) you need to assume that it leaks and/or has rotted framing. It has NOT been taken good care of. The motor needs a good extensive tune up at minimum. And all the motor hoses/belts need to be replaced. And the batteries need to be replaced. Even brand new, off the lot RVs need work.

I would recommend that some handy folks buy an old towable or motorhome (a Hunter's Special) and I have, often. In some states, it's hard to title a home built RV. Those states are where it would be advantageous to buy a towable or motorhome, strip it down to the frame and rebuild. Not a whole lot different than building from scratch. Save all the working parts and put it all back in, upgrading or replacing as needed (put a slight curve on the roof to shed water and prevent ponding). Then you have a new (but titled old) RV that will have lower taxes on it. Much of the time the siding can still be salvaged and reused (or at least most of it). If the car restorers can do that, then why can't you do that with an RV? All you need is a place to do it at. The old Class C we used to live in , and that my daughter currently lives in will be sold before we leave here (she wants a skoolie conversion too). The RV part of the Class C is what needs to be rebuilt. The Van part (cab body, motor, tranny) is in good shape and could last for many more years. The body has a bit of rust around the windshild and that could be easily fixed. But it had a roof leak that she chased for about a year before finally getting the sucker sealed up. But we have no place to strip the thing apart and rebuild it (it's all stapled together 2X2 construction and the staples have rusted... at least the part we rebuilt had rusted staples so I assume it all was rusted). If you are handy enough to think you can build from scratch, then you could rebuild an RV.

Vonbrown said:
Everything is harder the first time you attempt it. The difference is your attitude.

AMEN to that!!! ^^^

CR...you may have your system set-up and running, which is good...but I'm sure this didn't happen overnight either, so count your blessings.
That's not necessarily the way it is for everybody else, and (like Bob said) what works for you, may not work for everybody else. That doesn't make them 'Silly'.

...and I hate to tell you this, but that 'little' leak you had on your Class 'C's van windshield??? That's the kiss of death for a van.
It means that rust has gotten into your van's inner body and has to be removed. It cannot be stopped, only slowed down. (ask me how I know this!) :s
You can 'repair' it all you want, but over time, it's only gonna get worse unless you cut out, remove, and replace the metal on the entire thing.

Talk to someone who builds hot-rods about windshield frame rust...they'll tell you what a nightmare this really is.

Patrick46 said:
...and I hate to tell you this, but that 'little' leak you had on your Class 'C's van windshield??? That's the kiss of death for a van.
It means that rust has gotten into your van's inner body and has to be removed. It cannot be stopped, only slowed down. (ask me how I know this!) :s
You can 'repair' it all you want, but over time, it's only gonna get worse unless you cut out, remove, and replace the metal on the entire thing.

Talk to someone who builds hot-rods about windshield frame rust...they'll tell you what a nightmare this really is.

Where did you find that the windshield leaked? I never said the windshield leaked (it doesn't). Never mind. Not worth the hassle of explaining.

The oilfield security guard job at the Reddit link didn't sound bad, $150 a day.

If you are making specific plans for your life that depend on the existence of external factors not controlled by you, you'd better make sure those factors exist.

Re The Perfect RV, does it even exist? When we bought our Independence, we thought it was perfect - except for a little tweak needed here and another tweak needed there. Then, we realized that the couch ( on the starboard) and dining area (to the port) needed to be reversed. We also realized that the tables and chairs were uncomfortable and that the couch we had wasn't working for us. So, out went the table and chairs and into that alcove went a twin sized daybed with massive storage underneath. We just got rid of the couch (it took 3 men and the removal of the handrail to get that heavy thing out) and we'll be building a 2 person booth with more storage and cushions shaped to our bodies, and a table sturdy enough to hold my sewing machine. When we are done with that, DH wants to lower the daybed by a few inches. It never ends.

Actually, while we were just at Camping World getting our air conditioner drain unclogged, I saw The Perfect RV, except that it needed some reupholstering and a little tweaking here and a little tweaking there ......