Haitachi "Cool My Camper" split system A/C

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eDJ_

Reaction score
Has anyone seen one of these in operation ?   They are supposed to be quite energy efficient, super quiet,
and deliver about 7000 btu of cooling.

Video:

http://www.coolmycamper.com/

I've been looking for a propane fired A/C unit with a 12 vdc fan system that would be window mounted
when I found this.

Anyone seen one of these or anything like it ?

Outside

Swift-Challenger-Caravan-AIR-CON.jpg

Inside

inside%20unit.jpg

When running the units will draw 1.53 amps. Users need not worry about tripping MCBs when the unit is first switched on as the intelligent system soft-starts the electrical motors and thus keeps start-up (or inrush current) under 3 amps for less than a second.

So to calculate amp hours, do you just 1.5a x 60 = 90ah ?

Quoted from their website: "Cool My Camper portable air conditioning units run on a 220-240v mains supply. The unit only uses 350 watts when cooling. That’s only 1.52 Amps on 230 volts."

Campgrounds here only have 110v at either 30 or 50 amps.

What are you going to power it from?

It looks like you'd still be stuck with having to have a generator with an output that could power it.

And I bet what the Haitachi has to offer in terms of quiet operation the generator will spoil with it's
noise. :huh:  Unless you have one of those ultra quiet Honda outfits.

You could use of these, Step Up/Down Voltage Transformer if you have shore power or a 110 inverter.
Or you could get one of these, 1000W 12v/220v Inverter
But from their FAQ page.

Power consumption:
1.53 Amps 220-240 volts
Power use: 350 Watts
Minimum suggested inverter size 700w (we recommend a Pure Sine inverter) 
Start-up current under 3.0 amps for < 1 second

Q  Do you have a distributor in USA/Australia/Africa?
A  No, not yet. We are a UK based and deliver to all European destinations served by our logistics company.

Pre-Order Cool My Camper Air Conditioning CMC2400
£135.00 deposit

Ensure you don't miss out in 2016. By pre-ordered your unit before the 28th Feb and we guarantee the price will remain at £540.00 and you only need to pay a 25% deposit.

New stock is typically available at the end of March or very early in April.

At 1 British Pound equals 1.49 US Dollar that is $ 804.17 for  a 2,400 Btuh AC plus shipping 

Here's a Youtube video showing installing a similar unit.  No worries if you don't speak Dutch - it's pretty self-explanatory.

Europe uses the 240V/50z standard.  There are travel adapters available for us rich globe-trotting Colonials.

I was hoping to find  a system where the cooling was accomplished with propane (like a refrigerator in an rv) and a coolant (like automotive antifreeze) was run through an indoor coil circulated by a 12 vdc fan.

The cooling unit would have to be nearly level in such a system and the way that the Haitachi unit sits on the outer wall would allow for such adjustments. 

Again my Industrial Design thinking at play.   I would imagine it could be a small light weight "absorption" system and the flame should be rather small within it.  Using modest amounts of propane.

It could easily be modeled after the Haitachi.

An absorption unit to provide that kind of cooling would be huge.

I saw the tiny splits when I was setting up my A/C. They look really cool and a 220v inverter wouldn't have been a big deal but efficiency wise, size wise and output are all sub par to the 5000 BTU window shaker I use. It takes up less space, weighs less and for just a 100 watts more while running, you get twice the cooling ability, all for a quarter of the cost.

jimindenver said:
An absorption unit to provide that kind of cooling would be huge.

I saw the tiny splits when I was setting up my A/C. They look really cool and a 220v inverter wouldn't have been a big deal but efficiency wise, size wise and output are all sub par to the 5000 BTU window shaker I use. It takes up less space, weighs less and for just a 100 watts more while running, you get twice the cooling ability, all for a quarter of the cost.

Could you post up the make and model of that window AC please?

50 or 60 hertz probably will not make a big difference.  The electronic part is running off some dc power supply and the compressor should run at a little faster speed.  Certainly not ideal, but should still run.  Of course it would void the warranty.

I don't think anyone could say this is a practical solution to RV AC.  I found on line four 5000 Btu window units that draw 4 amps or less.

highdesertranger said:
but if it's 220v 50hz how do you get around that 50 hz.  highdesertranger
I would just make sure whatever inverter I bought met the spec of the A/C.

Latest posts