Hacking it all together

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings Everyone!

I've been lurking around this site for the better part of two months and have been enthralled by all of the helpful information. I didn't actually visit the forums until just a couple of weeks ago, I was so caught up in the how-to's and articles. I'm a 35 year old software developer with a background in construction who dabbles in mechanical work and music.

My foray into vandwelling was spurred by necessity but fueled by extreme enthusiasm. For many years, I've had an interest in the mobile lifestyle and a strong desire to simplify my life (I've also always _really_ hated paying rent). For several years after college, I lived in a small room on a chicken farm on an off-grid ecovillage deep in the appalachian mountains. I loved it and miss it, and am accustomed to occupying a small space and being frugal.

Being forced into "homelessness" (it's a long story and I may perhaps share it someday), I didn't have a lot of time or resources to plan. In early Feb., I moved all of my stuff (including myself) into a 10'X20' storage unit. It's little more than a metal box and, in the frozen tundra of the north, has been veeeery cold; thankfully, I have good winter gear (and even more thankfully...it's finally starting to warm up).

Last month, I traded my beloved 17' Wenohnah canoe for a '97 Town and Country and shortly afterwards rented a second 10'x20' unit to act as a (very cramped) garage. Over the last several weeks, after work and on the weekends; I've gutted the interior, bypassed the rear heating unit (the lines were rusted out all the way up to the firewall), installed new valve cover gaskets, an intake manifold gasket, all of the gaskets associated with the upper intake manifold, put in new spark plugs & wires, replaced the PCV valve, and rewired the aftermarket stereo that someone had wired wrong. Mechanically, I just need to do a full brake job and plug the rear AC lines so that I can completely remove the rear AC/Heating unit (it takes up sooo much space). It's been a great excuse to buy a lot of mechanics tools that I've needed (wanted) for a long time. And yes, I realize y'all like seeing build-outs, so I've been taking pictures and will eventually create a post about it.

As for the build itself, the van is old and rusted and I don't intend for it to last more than a couple of years. So I'm only going to do the basics and invest only my time and energy...salvaging and scavenging what I need (I've already hauled in a bunch of nice (free) lumber to use).

Currently, I'm leaning towards eventually purchasing a nice cargo trailer and doing a solid custom build on that, but my plan seems to be changing weekly or so as it molds.

Anyway, I'm excited about this new adventure (and to get the hell out of this metal box) and looking forward to getting to know more of you fine people!

Welcome Hacker to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Keep an eye out in junk yards for vans and wrecked trailers with roof vents. They are all ... well .. mostly the same size and you will want it even in cool weather for air circulation. Easy to test, just find the power leads and attach to a 12v battery.

A roof rack with a solar panel can be moved from one vehicle to another fairly easily. For basic power you should be able to build this out for a few hundred bucks (100watt panel, cheap PWM charge controller, $90 for a new deep cycle battery ... much less for used or salvaged, cables and a couple fuses). It will run lights and your fan and charge your phone, laptop, camera, tablet, etc. You would probably want more if you run a small fridge. Don't rely on your alternator to charge your house battery and NEVER use your starter for electronics unless the engine is running.

I push these on everyone, a small pressure cooker. Hawkins is the brand I have and it is only 2 liters. You can cook rice and beans etc in a fraction of the time than a traditional pan. 6 minutes for rice. 10 minutes for dry beans. Beef stew with frozen diced beef, a diced potato, a cellery stalk, and an onion cooks in 6 minutes.

If you will be mobile in this rig and it's only meant to be temporary make certain you have towing covered either by insurance or have $1000 set aside for just that. If you MUST abandon the vehicle at least strip the panels, batteries, roof vent etc and sell it for scrap. You know going in that it's gonna have problems, plan your exit strategy now.

Sounds like you've got a decent plan already.

I feel you on the canoe. It's been a long time since I've done any paddling but I grew in canoes and miss it.

Thanks all!

Zizzer, thanks for your reply...all very good ideas! A junk yard vent is definitely the way to go. And while I'm there I need a new dash console and windshield wiper cowl (I guess there's a few more things that I need to do mechanically to this rig)! Regardless, I will definitely need to install venting.

I've been thinking quite a bit about power and intend to build my way up to a nice 600 W (or so) system. My plan was to get a couple of deep cycle batteries with a 2kW inverter and a battery meter and attach them to my alternator. I'm looking to use my power tools off of this system (some of which can pull 1.5kW), which is why I'm planning to start out with a battery bank and a large inverter. Honestly, I just assumed the alternator could handle charging this and haven't yet done a lot of research on it, but why would relying on the alternator to charge them be a bad idea? I'll eventually add the panels and charge controller but I can't do it all at once and the most important thing for me right now is to be able to run my tools so I can build out the interior. My apartage (as I've taken to call it (... half apartment, half storage)) only has power after dark when the exterior lights are on and, as there are other people living in units near me, I don't want to be running saws n' such at night.

The pressure cooker is a great idea as it'll save me a lot of propane. I had/have <a href='http://www.allamericancanner.com/All-American-21-Quart-Pressure-Canner.htm'>a really nice one</a> but it's in the possession of my ex and, although we're on really good terms and I could probably get it back, she probably wouldn't be too keen on giving it up. Also, we bought it for canning meat and vegetables and it's waaay too big for my purpose. I've never actually cooked with one but a nice smaller size would suit me well!

Roadside assistance is a must. I was actually just researching it yesterday. Well worth $100 or so a year!

And yeah, the loss of my boat has been the sore spot in all of this. I've had many great adventures in her and I already miss paddling. But she was huge (we used her for multiple week long trips) and that didn't suit my needs anymore. That being said, I'll have to add a kayak to my rig in the near future!

Welcome, Hacker. Sounds like you've got solid plans and are getting things dialed in.

Hear you about the boat, sold my kayak when we downsized and miss it terribly, getting new ones when my wife retires in the Fall, figured using her vacation payout for something important was the best idea.

Welcome aboard Hacker !
A heads up..
If you drain the batteries too much using those power tools , you could kill the alt. trying to suck to many amps out of it .

Latest posts