GPS to stop working on older phones

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whew, looks like I squeezed in under the wire with my old iPhone 5c.

hahaha this is to funny they say,

"mobile devices manufactured between 2006 – 2016 may have their GPS accuracy impacted due to Global Positioning Service (GPS) Rollover."

like you could ever depend on them being accurate to begin with. please when out of cell range don't depend on your phone as your sole source of navigation.

highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
"mobile devices manufactured between 2006 – 2016 may have their GPS accuracy impacted due to Global Positioning Service (GPS) Rollover."

like you could ever depend on them being accurate to begin with.  please when out of cell range don't depend on your phone as your sole source of navigation.

The GPS rollover week happened back in April...and one of my older trail (hand held) GPS receivers now gives the date from back in the 1980's...and cant be updated. 

I wonder why this Verizon notice is so late?

But I agree 100%...no matter how someone feels about the 'cool' GPS performance of their smartphone when they ask it to take them to the nearest Starbucks in town or grandmas house...when you REALLY ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY NEED IT... (in the boonies with no cell towers, no nearby towns, no good roads, its dark and foggy and you are nearly out of gas)...that damn phone, or the battery, or the app, or the gps receiver in it, WILL FAIL...and you will be royally screwed if you dont have a good stand-alone GPS unit.

A few years ago I expected a delivery (in town). I always ask if they know how to get here, they answer "I have GPS". The man finally showed up hours later. He got sent to a way different area!
First time my DD was here, she was sent several blocks in the wrong direction. DD2 last weekend, used GPS to find a local destination. Siri told her it was 23 minutes away. DD2 wouldn't listen to me. The next day, her husband searched, and learned it was close to 2 hours. They did make it on time, but were rushed.

Your doppelgänger was in Lisbon. A glitch in the matrix.