Gonna Putts around soon!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Putts

Reaction score
Hiya folks! Total FNG here. Long time member over at ADVrider.com talking about adventure motorcycles, but getting old and need to switch over to four wheels. Got about 14 months 'til I can push the button on social security (at 62), sell the house, and go live in my new home.

20160507_122506-L.jpg

I'm in the midst of doing the conversion. I'll start a build thread where people can tell me what an idiot I am and point me in the right direction hopefully before I do stupid shit. Anyhow, this is what it looks like on the inside now. 

IMG_1690-XL.jpg

'Course I'd start the thread at the beginning and work my way up to where I are now. 

Plan on basically boondocking in the West and Central America...maybe even put it on the ferry and go to South America.  Who knows?

Me? Um...here's a weird pic. 

MTBBSawsallAtFire-L.jpg

What a badass.  (Don't be fooled...the tatt is in Sharpie.)

Anywho, howdy!

PUTTS!!!! Tell more! I've been thinking of driving South at a meandering speed as well. Plans so far are Baja in Feb but afterwards I just don't know. I lived in Peru a few years working out of our Embassy and traveled to a few countries down there and a trip back might be fun. It's just a seed planted so far as I'm not even out of my house yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats and welcome over to this side. I like your choice of a step van. I hope you're still bringing a bike with you.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Putts! While we make everyone refrain from calling anyone else stupid we're more than willing to try to help you from making stupid mistakes! Don't be afraid to ask questions and we alway want to see pics of new builds.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Thanks for the welcome, folks. Imma spend a few days reading and getting a feel for the place, and then post up my build.

I hope you like photos that arn't particularly artful.

20160424_124128-L.jpg

Breathtaking, isn't it?

Cammalu said:
It's just a seed planted so far as I'm not even out of my house yet.  

That's the way it starts...I'm right with you. But, one foot in front of the other towards the destination and you get there eventually. 

I hear the whole vehicle ferry transportation thing can be a hassle, but it would be a hoot to travel for a few years in North and Central America to get things all sorted out, and then jump on a ferry to Ecaudor and to start wandering around South America.

Been trying to learn Spanish in my spare time....Ha! Riiiiight.  

Yeah, one step at a tiime.

Bud Smiley said:
Congrats and welcome over to this side. I like your choice of a step van. I hope you're still bringing a bike with you.

Thanks. I plan on bringing a Yamaha TW200 as my bumper thumper.

Here's the one I used to have.

CRW_2249-M.jpg

Just a liiiiiitle overloaded. But it got me down the road 'til I bought a proper adventure bike.

Properly kitted out with racks though, and they're a spectacular little bike for getting to town and back without having to break camp.

TW200%20Bike.JPG

Milkcrate anyone?

Do many people around here travel with motorcycles?

Nomadventurer said:
...we're more than willing to try to help you from making stupid mistakes!

You may be in for more than you bargained for.

Don't be afraid to ask questions

How the heck do you break up someone else's quote so I don't have to write in blue?  Is the a way to view and edit the code in your post?

and we alway want to see pics of new builds.

No problem there, I'd rather the picture punch out the thousand words than my fingers.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Thanks. And thanks for doing the mod thing here.

I do the ADV thing. Currently have a few DR350s and looking towards a KTM EXC. My step van was acquired because it seemed like the best longterm base camp for offroad motorcycle exploring. Are you adding a window to the side of yours? I thought I saw something rectangular in that area in one of your posts.

Well Putts, thankfully Spanish is way easier to learn than English. I was immersed in it and also sent to school for several months so I get by fine. I don't know if Rosetta Stone is any good or not but I might be able to swing some courses at your local community college.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bud Smiley said:
My step van was acquired because it seemed like the best longterm base camp for offroad motorcycle exploring. Are you adding a window to the side of yours? I thought I saw something rectangular in that area in one of your posts.

That's what I'm thinking too.  I'll just be toodling around on a TW200, but it'll be perfect for just wandering the environs around a campsite.

Yup. Window is in. Friends sometimes call it my taco truck.

Cammalu said:
 I don't know if Rosetta Stone is any good or not but I might be able to swing some courses at your local community college.

Been using Duolingo on-line, but it's hard to retain if you're not actually able to use it. I think I'm just going to learn numbers, dates, and basic words as best I can 'til I leave, and then maybe attend one of those language immersion schools they have.

Hi welcome to CRVL. Van is off to a good start. Can't wait til I'm converting something. Waiting for some funds to be freed up in a family owned property changing ownership to my cousin.

I'm planning on a TW200 as well. They are an excellent little bike that should be very easy to transport. I've ridden a few hundred miles on a friends and was impressed every time I got on it.

I use 4 wheelers.  I can carry a lot more gear and my dog.  plus they are a lot more stable.

135 - Copy.JPG

highdesertranger

Attachments

• 135 - Copy.JPG
    135 - Copy.JPG
    285.7 KB · Views: 5