Going Full Time on the Road

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spacedredd

Reaction score
Hi All,

I wanted to introduce myself to this community. For the past several months I have been looking for an inspiration in my life.  In March of 2015 my girlfriend of 2.75 years called it quite. In Aug 2015 I had a mild heart attack while I was on vacation w/my adult kids.  I just recently re-tired from the USAF after 27 years of service both active and Reserve, I have a good job w/a computer company that as long as I have a strong internet connection I can work from just about anywhere. The biggest issue, is I live in the Austin TX area.  The housing market here is over inflated.  I make a really good salary and I am very thankful of it. However, the amount I pay in rent appalls me.  So a couple of weeks ago I was surfing youtube, I have been looking at the Tiny Home concept.  Then I found a documentary about Van/RV/Car living. I found some of Bob Wells video post and a huge number of others who live in their RV/Vans/Cars and are happy and content.  Now I am inspired again!  There is nothing really keeping me here in Austin.  My parents and grandparents had RVs.  We even lived in one for 2 years while my Dad built a house.  DUH!!!  Why don't I just pack my stuff and hit the road.

So, I have until June 2017 until my lease is up.  I am looking at getting a 13' Casitas (it will pull really well behind my 05 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L engine) the manufacturer is only 2 hours away. Anyway I am open to any advice and or suggestions, hints, experiences etc...  any of you would like to share.

Thank you,

C

Welcome to the forum and the tribe. I just watched a series of videos on the egg campers. They seem a very good option. I have lived in boats and RV's but at the moment I have a house. I Still have an RV, but I am fixing up a van to be a part timer during the summers, (I live where it gets plenty hot).

Welcome, C!
You seem in the perfect position to give van/RV life a try. You already have work you can take with you and you rent.

I can tell you that for most of us, boondocking brings great stress relief, so it would probably even be healthy for you.

When you mentioned a Casita, my thoughts went immediately to Becky at

www.interstellarorchard.com

She travels in one and has tons of posts on how she's handled things including unexpected winter weather and freezing temps. See especially her Useful Stuff section with things like keeping warm in a Casita. She works seasonally at both Amazon locations and at different National Parks. I'm sure her blog posts would give you insights on exactly the type of camper you are planning for.

Keep us posted on your next steps.

Welcome to the CRVL forums, Spacedredd! I'm really grateful for your service and sacrifice. There are many places in the world where mobile living would not be feasible. Thanks to you, and those who choose to serve we have the freedom to choose this life. What better way to celebrate your life of service than exploring the countyr you gave so much for!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome aboard C!
just pack your Casita and hit the road,,,,,why not?
Seems like you have enough income to do anything.
You spent a big part of your life taking care of the country .
Now let it take care of you , I'd go for it !
(Oh , that's right , I already did !)

Thank you all for the encouragement and information. WriterMS I have looked at Innersteller Orchard and I am doing the research right now.

Latest posts