Getting unstuck off-road, and avoiding doing that

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zork

Reaction score
I am enjoying this channel.  Lot's of examples of people getting stuck off-road, how they were recovered, and perhaps some lessons in avoiding all that.

[video=youtube]http:/https://youtu.be/wmgWB65fqxs/[/video]

sorry, I don't think I added the video correctly.

haha, has anyone actually registered as Zzyzx? that would be funny.

Yes, learn all you can, but you can still get stuck (weather, mechanical malfunctions, etc.).

Be prepared, including at least a few back-up plans, and some money or very good friends.

does AAA drag RVs out of mud and snow, miles from the nearest paved highway, too? I think this tow guy works with insurance, but not sure how it works, exactly.

I sure wish I knew what you all are talking about. I and others are on limited data and can't watch videos.

AAA does not cover off road rescue/tow.

highdesertranger

Of course I had to look in on this thread and see if I could learn anything, it's just links to you - tube videos.

That guy in the second link I've seen before. He seems to do a lot of snatch-strap pulls (like me) but I don't like that he uses those tow truck hooks instead of shackles. But that's just me. I do know that there are times when shackles don't work, and soft shackles wouldn't be strong enough, then the hooks would be appropriate. But again, that's just me. [emoji4]

www.instagram.com/DirtTrackTravelers

highdesertranger said:
I sure wish I knew what you all are talking about. I and others are on limited data and can't watch videos.
Just think of all the dumb things you've seen guys do over the years off the asphalt, in the dirt and sand, and ya got it covered.

"He's also one of the least likely to need my help"

what a compliment, thank you sir. hope to see you soon.

highdesertranger

Know your vehicle and its limits is all I meant by posting the video. Knowing how to keep from getting stuck can save you a lot in potential towing fees.

Zork said:
Know your vehicle and its limits is all I meant by posting the video. Knowing how to keep from getting stuck can save you a lot in potential towing fees.
Agreed! And that's exactly why High Dez and I gave a talk a few years back on how to identify a situation where you could get stuck, when to stop from getting in to badly, and ways of self recovery if you did get in too far.

The problem w/ you-tube, like HD said, is that a lot of said van dwellers don't have the bandwidth required.

www.instagram.com/DirtTrackTravelers

Latest posts