Geminid meteor shower: When and how to see one of the best meteor showers of the year

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That map was awesome. Alas, I'm in a fair/poor viewing area but will still gaze.
Thanks for the heads up.

OOHHHMMMMGGG! That was the most incredible meteor shower I've ever seen! The night of the 13th we were 20 miles or so north of Las Cruces, NM. Having totally forgot about the meteor shower, I decided to randomly glance out the window while lying in bed around 11:30PM and saw a huge one streak across the sky. This, of course, sparked us to open up the windows, screens and all, and stick our heads out for the next hour or so. It was amazing! There were meteors every 10 seconds or so and, for the first time in my life, I even saw two meteors streak across the sky at the same time! The most incredible meteor shower i've ever seen. And also a bit scary...almost apocalyptic...3200 Phaethon seems to be getting closer and closer to earth on each pass. :-O

At City of Rocks State Park, NM which isn't far from where you are, a star gazing group meets to look through big telescopes and give talks on out there.

Sadly, it was overcast several nights where I am, but I managed to see a few.

Latest posts