G'day

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanhellsink

Reaction score
Hi all,<br /><br />I'm a 45 year old Aussie who is most grateful for the wealth of information the members of Cheaprvliving have offered up about living on the road. For the last five years I have found myself wondering in India, Nepal, Thailand and &nbsp;Cambodia, with me presently in Indonesia from where I'll soon be heading back to Australia to adopt the minimalistic free life of of a van dweller. The hope will be a few months seasonal work before disappearing into the bush as well a bit of beach combing for the majority of the year.<br /><br />Thanks once again for everyone's input into the site and I look forward to interacting (read, asking lots of dumb questions ) with you soon.<br /><br />Vanhellsink

Welcome and thanks for posting....best of luck and good stuff while you are doing your thing...<br />Bri

Ooh, Australia! India, Nepal, Thailand, Cambodia, Indonesia! I wish I'd had the courage to travel outside the U.S. when I was younger and had some money. Now, I can only dream, but at least I'll be traveling N. America soon. Welcome, and be sure to share your adventures in the Outback with us!

Wow! What awesome travels Id love to hear some tales! Welcome to the group.

bk2 - Thanks for the welcome. I think we are all people with with the desire to "do our own thing", but societal, family, tradition &nbsp;and cultural expectation stifles that individuality as well as personal freedom. Those that choose the road less traveled (pun intended) are to be admired and respected as I see it.&nbsp;<br /><br />blueberry - Without having dreams, how are dreams able to come true? - keep dreaming. I have from an early age always been a lone wanderer in my homeland and abroad with a life crammed full of experiences. However, if there is one thing I've learned it is as the old saying impresses "Where ever I go, there I am." The biggest and most exciting journey is often within ourselves. I'm envious you will be traveling north America as many have told me how beautiful it is. Be sure to share your adventures with us as well.<br /><br />HoboBreg - Hi Hobo. One tale coming up. Meeting Aji in the Indian Himalayan mountain town of Manali.<br /><table class="tborder" style="color: #3c3c35; border: 1px solid #a1a199;" width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="5" align="center"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="font-size: 10pt;" colspan="2" align="left">Aji sat on his shoe-shine box, his eyes alert as he scanned the jam of tourists moving through Manali's main thoroughfare.<br /><br />"How about him?"I asked,pointing to a large bellied Indian man dressed in businessman-like clothes and expensive shoes.<br /><br />"No, him no good. Spend money on food, not shoe-shine". I wasn't about to question this ten year old street urchin's client spotting ability as he had proved time and again he had developed a keen eye for profit.<br /><br />"Him?" Another middle aged Indian , this time drressed in less costly attire.<br /><br />"No, him local man, never have shoe-shine." Aji seemed annoyed at my inability to spot shoe money and let out a heavy sigh. It was lunch time and he had made only twenty rupees all day from one customer.<br /><br />I had first seen Aji shortly after I arrived in Manalli on my way to Vashisht, a small mountain village in northern Himichal Pradesh. It was raining heavily and I was exiting a shoe store after purchasing a pair of waterproof boots, the slushiness of snow on the streets causing my feet to almost freeze with the ill suited canvas shoes I had brought with me from Australia. He was then, as he was now, sitting on his shoe-shine box, a shop-front awning protecting him from the downpour. Looking at my shiny new boots I wondered if I my see him again.<br /><br />Now sitting with Aji on the roadside kerb I realized we had now known each other for two weeks, Aji having the uncanny ability to find me the every few days I walked into town. Our first few conversations were mostly driven by Adji's insistance all shoes should be shined regularly to avoid disrepair. Two weeks on our chats were more varied with Aji's only shoe-shine request coming when he raised his shine brush and eyebrows in unison if it looked like I may be readying to leave.<br /><br />I'm not entirely sure Aji was an orphan as he claimed, but looking at his dirty bare feet, grubby yellow jumper and torn jeans it was evident that this enterprising man was far from wealthy. I once asked if he had any fees or charges enforced on his shoe-shine business from some type of shoe-shine mafia boss, to which he replied,"No, money for food" Perhaps he was orphaned.<br /><br />I slipped my newly polished boots onto my feet and paid Aji the twenty rupees for my first use of his services, stood up to leave, then reached into my pocket again and gave the young businessman another twenty rupees. I would pay for a shine in advance.</td></tr></tbody></table><br />Hey Peacetara - My life is travel, always has been and always will be. It seems I have no choice in the matter with some innate wanderlust driving me. The drawbacks are many (finding a life partner one of them) but I become intolerably anxious and impatient if I am restricted in any way. Having the option or choice to travel taken away from me is a bit like what I imagine a caged animal must be experiencing. I will travel even if I am reduced to only a blanket and a can of beens. Yes, there is perhaps something not entirely normal in my ways. Viva la difference. Thanks so much for saying hi and the kind wishes.<br /><br />blkjak - Hi there. Appreciate the welcome. It seems to me that this community is a very generous one when coming to offer support, whether it be rv/van advice, personal assistance or just simple welcomes. I'm looking forward to getting to know you better and thank you for taking the time to say hi.<br /><br />Vanhellsink

Hello and welcome to the group.&nbsp; Were you by any chance known as Hammockman in 2010?&nbsp;

Hey ttpadilla - &nbsp;Thanks for the welcome. It seems my cover is blown. I have the username of Hammockman on Indiamike where I kept a small journal/blog of my time in India during the first half of 2010. Or perhaps we have we bumped into each other somewhere else?&nbsp;<br /><br />I have a tendency to ramble on a bit in the interweb world so the writing thing, as bad as it is, I find a great avenue for release, or probably more like therapy as I'm somewhat erratic of thought. Interestingly, my personality in real life is somewhat reserved and shy.<br /><br />Thanks again for saying hi.<br /><br />Cheers<br />Vanhellsink

Your story sounded really familiar to me, so I searched for it, and found it on Indiamike.com along with some other great stories.&nbsp; I enjoy your writing style very much.&nbsp; Sorry for blowing your cover.&nbsp; Wish we had bumped into each other somewhere, as that would mean I hadn't spent all 46 years of my life being dull, responsible, stable, and "people-pleasing".&nbsp; Changing all that now, although admittedly I have had "Adventure" thrust upon me, more than choosing it.&nbsp; I do intend to embrace it, though.&nbsp; Not tightly, or anything.&nbsp; I've given up trying to hang onto things and control all the variables.&nbsp; Looking forward to hearing more of your adventures.

tt - How great for you to have had the realization, forced or otherwise, that there is other paths open to a content, happy or fulfilled life, other than a western conditioned belief that a lifetime of debt and work is the American/Australian dream we should all lust after. Sadly most don't even realize they have a choice, or if they do, they have yet found the courage to pursue it. You should be congratulated and admired. I raise my glass to you.<em> hic!!</em> Thanks for the compliments on the writing, you are very sweet.<br /><br />Hey blueberry - Thanks also to you for the generous compliment. At present all my short stories have absolutely nothing to do with vandwelling, so I don't believe it to be the forum just yet. Of course that will be changing very soon, and with such kind supportive members such as your self, I look forward to penning a few of my experiences. There's a Captain's Blog I believe.<br /> Anyway, enough about me.