Future vandweller? Maybe?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elcameraguy

Reaction score
Hello to everyone,

I read bob's book and am deeply intrigued with the idea of living in a vehicle.  I have faced some financial hardship over the past year that has caused me to have to stay with family.  I love 'em but am looking to get back on my own asap.

I live in Maryland, and rents for apartments are out of control in the National Capital Region.  I have no desire to pay 1000-1300 per month for an apartment.  I'm looking into some options, such as getting a smaller space/studio and rooming up with some fellow bachelors.  But what if I found a way to live rent free? 

So I'm looking to buy a used Cargo van and begin building a living space within.  I have 3 small parrots so ensuring their safety and comfort will be a big part of my design.  I'm in the process of flight/harness training them so they can get some outside time.  Right now they're able to fly freely around the room so I'm concerned about the space issue in a van.  But I'm sure with some planning and creativity this project will take flight!

I may end up renting an apartment anyway and having the camper van on standby in case I find myself without work again.  I'm excited to embark on this project and look forward to sharing tips with everyone here. 

Peace,

Felix

Welcome aboard Felix
I've seen some folks with travel trailers with bird pets in the closed off bedroom but it would be a big challenge in a van for sure.......
Hope you find the right solution for your situation.

No doubt about it popeye,

So the bird cages themselves should fit in an astro van just fine along the wall with some rigging.  3 parrots will actually be 2 in one cage and 1 in another.  When I'm with them they are outside their cages.  Enough to climb and play in a van with toys and perches.   Flying around...not so much.

So this will entail me needing to harness the birds and allow them to fly outside under my supervision.  They'll need the excersise anyway so It will be good for them to be outdoors. 

Other concern is climate control.  My birds hail from south america and australia so I think cold will be a greater concern than heat.  But either way I'll need to do insulating, fan vents.  I don't want to rig an AC unit unless it's absolutely necessary.  For them I mean.  I'm from Puerto Rico so I can take a little heat!

These are my feathered kids....aka "fids"

Attachments

• tango.jpg
    tango.jpg
    157.2 KB
  • mooney.jpg
    mooney.jpg
    119.4 KB
  • niko.jpg
    niko.jpg
    149.8 KB
Welcome to the CRVL forums elcameraguy! It might be tough to find stealth camping spots in National Capital Region. Even if that doesn't work out the van will be great for trips and as an emergency dwelling. Remember to post pictures when you find your van and keep us updated as you work on your build!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome, elcameraguy!

I'm intrigued by parrots. They're extremely intelligent and I've heard they become quite attached to their humans! Sure is a challenge housing them in a van, though.

Good luck on your build - we'll be here to help!

rvwandering said:
Welcome to the CRVL forums elcameraguy!  It might be tough to find stealth camping spots in National Capital Region. Even if that doesn't work out the van will be great for trips and as an emergency dwelling.  Remember to post pictures when you find your van and keep us updated as you work on your build!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.   We look forward to hearing more from you.

I figured the DC Metro wouldn't be the best area for stealth camping.  When you have dozens of Law Enforcement agencies patrolling the area (Secret Service, Capitol Hill, National Park, ect. ect.) things can get hairy.  I actually work in Frederick County so things may be easier in the area around there.  I think a custom van would be a great DIY project and the idea of having a contingency plan to cover layoffs, firing or needing to leave a toxic working environment is a wonderful option.

If it weren't for my birds I actually would consider a smaller vehicle.  So I'm going to work to provide the best life I can for the entire flock!  A chevy express would be a good template for my mission.  I'll be posting vids and pics of the project.  Estimating late summer to purchase the van.

elcameraguy said:
Hello to everyone,

I read bob's book and am deeply intrigued with the idea of living in a vehicle.  I have faced some financial hardship over the past year that has caused me to have to stay with family.  I love 'em but am looking to get back on my own asap.

I live in Maryland, and rents for apartments are out of control in the National Capital Region.  I have no desire to pay 1000-1300 per month for an apartment.  I'm looking into some options, such as getting a smaller space/studio and rooming up with some fellow bachelors.  But what if I found a way to live rent free? 

So I'm looking to buy a used Cargo van and begin building a living space within.  I have 3 small parrots so ensuring their safety and comfort will be a big part of my design.  I'm in the process of flight/harness training them so they can get some outside time.  Right now they're able to fly freely around the room so I'm concerned about the space issue in a van.  But I'm sure with some planning and creativity this project will take flight!

I may end up renting an apartment anyway and having the camper van on standby in case I find myself without work again.  I'm excited to embark on this project and look forward to sharing tips with everyone here. 

Peace,

Felix

i would worry about the heat and the cold while your at work you might come back to dead birds

Temperatures are definitely a concern of mine.  Parrots are hardy animals but certainly have their limitations.  I plan on consulting my vet on this. Since the van will be an adventure/emergency vehicle dwelling I will have a contingency plan for my pets if they can't live in the van with me.  I have a few family members that can play foster parrot parents (although I haven't told them yet!).  Worst case I may need to re-home my parrots but I really don't want to do that!

I've shared my idea with some family and they are NOT happy about this!  I don't want to keep this thing a secret but I do worry that I'll be causing them stress from changing my lifestyle!  But I'm sick of paying rent!!!