Fraternal organizations - Moose, Elks, Eagles, etc

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayble

Reaction score
Van-Tramp's post mentioning the Moose Lodge jogged my memory. https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Van-Tramp-adventures-2017?pid=302086#pid302086
I've seen a few references here and across the web to camping at these places, and it sounds like a great idea.  I'm thinking of joining one or more, for the parking spots and a little social interaction on the road. 
Any particular recommendations/reviews/experiences (good or bad) with these organizations, as far as staying at their lodges across the country? 
I searched the forum but didn't turn up anything, which surprised me.  Sometimes the search function is wonky, so if there's a thread already please point me to it.

I didn't think we were allowed to join? Maybe that's changed since my dad was a member though.

That depends on who "we" are lol
As far as women, I don't think it's a deal breaker anymore.  I knew a couple women who are either Elks or Moose, I don't recall.  Some organizations might still have "ladies auxiliaries".
I'm atheist, so technically I don't qualify but some of them seem more open minded in their requirements (Supreme Being vs God).

edit: quick web search seems to indicate that they've changed policies to allow women, with a little encouragement from the courts and the aclu

Good to know, I'd never even considered joining because of the policies, but might be worth a look now. And yup, I meant women, although when I was younger I remember black people couldn't join the Moose, my dad dropped his membership until they changed the policy.

My dad was a member of the Moose, Elks, VFW, AMVETS, American Legion... I enjoyed cheap beer with him everywhere we went. :p

My ex husband was an Eagle many years ago, so I thought they were only good for cheap drinks and video poker ;)

We met Van-Tramp (great guy  by the way) when he was staying at the Moose Lodge in Longmont, Colorado and he sponsered our membership. We were members for two years but dropped our membership because we found that we weren't using it enough to make it worthwhile. I think we stayed at two other Moose Lodges in the two years. The lodges where we would have liked to stay either had parking lots that were too small or did not offer overnight parking.

It looks the the Elks are  more organized and promote RV parking more than the Moose.  It may be a little harder to join the Elks. As far as I know women can join both organizations.

You can check the Elk facilities here - http://www.elks.org/lodges/LocalFacilities.cfm?LookFor=3&Submit=Facilities#script_name#

Moose here - www.mooseintl.org/portal/pdf/LodgesWithCamping.pdf

the Eagles are nation wide,the Eagles in alton IL. would let you stay there as long as you want, no cost no problem. no hookups, no elect. but a safe place tho.

All the Fraternal organizations are in need of members. So badly, that they will just about all overlook the 2-referral requirements to become a member. Just walk into any of them and ask to become a member and I'm sure they will get you in.

Moose has about 2600 lodges around the country (and Canada) with the vast majority allowing at least overnight stays in their parking lots. About 10% of them have RV spots and will allow longer stays. 

I've also stayed at a couple Elks lodges, which *seem* to be a little more luxurious (it may have just been the few that I have been too). Those few had some nice RV sites as well as more lively lodges. Again, it may have been just been the ones I was at and not representative of them all.

It is definitely worth the $70 a year I spend on my Moose membership. I plan to join the Elks too when I come across a lodge

VTs right, and the best part those orgs. is a lot of the times they are in kind of outlying areas of big citys or if they are in cites its always free parking for members, and they love to meet out of towners, in the eagles i was a member of of you were from out of town, your 1st beer was free.

gs they all do the god thing, just ignore it (they all do).

Funny now that I think about it.
My Dad was a Shriner, went to meetings, had the funny hat, the whole 9 yards.
My Mom was a Rainbow Girl and they met at a social the two groups had.

But......
He had four Sons and he never encouraged one of us to join........

Odd.........

Dave

Djkeev, maybe join the "Intl Order of the Oddfellows" then.

They sound more like CVRL types!   :D

Interesting that Charlie Chaplin, Earl Warren and Franklin D Roosevelt were members...

See the Wikipedia article on them, notable people were listed at the bottom.

Side note - I read up on the Elks, one nice thing about them is they have no "degrees" like the Masons or the Oddfellows have, everyone is the same except the serving officers.

Not sure I'd ever join but hey, if they offer free showers...  :p

I agree with Van Tramp about the Fraternal Organizations being in dire need of membership.  Problem is that going to Lodge meetings doesn't translate into too many younger people's idea of life. 

I'm an Elk and Free Mason and can tell you of the difficulties.   We just sold the  Lodge building in my home town which was nearing 120 years of age. Many wanted to keep it but it had just grown to be a money pit.  (in a part of town that was potentially dangerous after dark)  It is integrated now so anyone who wants can be a member can if they pass investigation.   Free Masons in Ohio have held what are called "One day Classes where for several hundred dollars you sit and watched reenactments of each degree and you could be a 32 degree Scottish Rite Mason.   That's how hard up some Fraternal organizations are now days when so many younger people just don't see how it translated to their kind of life.  It's like they feel that this is for old men who are military veterans, alcohol consumers,  politicians, sales types hunting for customers,  and they just don't relate to those types of people.  It's like these places are fountains of youth for old people.  These young people would rather stay home and socialize via the internet.

Some of these Lodges have good leadership (main thing to look for before joining)  where the lodge thrives and grows.  New ideas are welcome.   One of those ideas has been to find places in shopping centers with Grocery Stores, Discount Stores, Barber Shops,  Beauty Salons, Insurance Agencies,  Discount Stores,  Restaurants,  Auto Service Centers etc.   Here you have a large parking lot with plenty of space.  The Lodge is one floor so access is assured.  These Lodges are set up with restaurant and tavern so food is available there at reasonable prices.   In my area the Moose Lodge has set a great example for this.   Many Fraternal Lodge members belong to more than one Lodge so as they travel they can avail themselves of a safe place to park at night while visiting the lodge.  Some have separate buildings with parking lots and have gone the distance to accommodate RV's with traveling members.  They have Sewage Dump and hitching post with electric and WIFI for a set fee each night.  They could also come into the Lodge and enjoy the company of members, have drinks/food and interact with others.   This may hold more appeal to older folks.

Younger people may just choose the National syndicates of Gym's like Planet Fitness. 

But it's a way of having some social life while on the road for those who are more sociable.  

What I'm finding in my Lodge is that there are many "old school" older members to whom new ideas don't come to easily.   They cannot wrap their minds around making our new lodge accommodating to RV traveling members who are recently retired and wanting now to see America.   They are still thinking Flag Day, public speeches,  Parades,  Volunteering Lodge Members at VA Hospitals,  and community outreach.  They don't realize the economic gains that could come from catering to traveling members.

Want to suggest ideas about RVing Members or those interesting becoming a member while on the road:

Moose International

https://www.mooseintl.org/

Elks USA org

https://www.elks.org/elksmag/contact.cfm

Fraternal Order of Eagles

https://www.foe.com/

International Order of Odd Fellows

http://www.ioof.org/

Masonic Service Association of North America

http://www.msana.com/

Each of these websites has "contact information" listed in them.   If you wish to email them expressing interest in being a member who travels in an RV and would like to know more about Lodges with facilities for RV/overnight parking facilities,  the addresses are available at these links.   They are always claiming to be looking for new ideas that could grow membership and ways of bringing money into the Lodges.

eDJ_ said:
 That's how hard up some Fraternal organizations are now days when so many younger people just don't see how it translated to their kind of life.  It's like they feel that this is for old men who are military veterans, alcohol consumers,  politicians, sales types hunting for customers,  and they just don't relate to those types of people.  It's like these places are fountains of youth for old people.  These young people would rather stay home and socialize via the internet.

That's gotta be pretty accurate. Honestly, until reading this thread, I don't think I've ever heard of the Eagles or IOOF. I really have no idea what these types of organizations are about...I kinda lumped them together with VFW's, a place where old guys go for cheap beer and company.

I believe they all require you to "believe in a higher being" but they do not say which higher being you must believe in. Not that they ask you any questions about that nor do they pray or anything like that in the meetings or get-togethers. Basically, it has never come up in the 4 years I have been a Moose.

The Moose and Knights of Columbus used to be where the Catholic guys hung out since they couldn't be Masons, not sure if that's the case anymore.

Since this thread started I read up on the various lodges and don't think they're really my thing, but a decent travelers choice for those who are interested. I should just re-join the Amvets (if I ever find my DD214 again).

Queen I think you can apply on line for a DD214

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Kiwanis have a nice rest area on rt 200 just East of Lewiston Montana.

No membership is required, it is both a place to stop and rest during a long lonely drive and a campground too.

It is funded by user donations. It sadly is located by the airport runway......

Dave

Latest posts