Found a TC....now what???

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rasta, I think you're getting good advice from willy and seraphim. These guys have been there, done that, got the t shirt. I bet you're handy with tools and I'm looking forward to some pictures too. willy, expoportal, one of my favorites. I was at the SoCal Rendevoux with those guys 2 weekends ago.

I will second the idea of the clear elastometric. I like it over the butyl rubber sealant which work excellent, but alaway seems to make a huge mess. The elastometric is also available in white, and is paintable when cured. Ment for gutters and flashing on roofs, it was designed for use with aluminum. I have had very good luck with it both commercially as a builder, and for repairs on the skin on my Shasta travel trailer and my bus

That clear elastomeric is some tough and sticky. I've glued brackets to the roof, which hold my solar panels, and it's holdin' good. I like the clear stuff cuz it's not so 'obvious' that a repair has been done and the unit looks neater. ..Willy.

I've fixed leaks on class c, both metal and rubber. I used that black tar stuff,it said it was reinforced with fiberglass strands for extra strength. It never goes real hard...stays rubbery, especially on hot summer days. I'm happy with the stuff, I think on the hot days it goes semi liquid and reseals into any cracks that may be underneath ? It's not sticky to the touch when it sets. My 2 cents...

I've used the black fibrated stuff, but no longer. Maybe it's the desert sun up here in the Okanagan, but it doesn't take too long before it hardens/cracks. Also, removing that stuff is an unpleasant experience. ..Willy.

Your right Willy, in the summers I'm parked in the coolest place l can find, usually in the shade. On those few HOT evenings we get, number about 10 per summer.You guys in the OKY sure get the heat. The heat bothers me more than the cold. I suppose all the U.S readers are in a hotter climate also.

Yeah, and here it's the southern tip of the Sonora Desert.. HOT!! Might mosey up to around 'Loops. and more HOT! I remember picking there one summer, and it was 110 deg/F in the shade. Still, with my solar roof fan and the insulation added (plus reflective window film), it's nice 'n cool in the camper. ..Willy.

Latest posts