Formal introduction and some help.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luisafernandes

Reaction score
I have written a post but haven't introduced myself properly, so let me do that. My name is Luis Fernandes, I'm 45 years old, I'm in the final months of a two year divorce, and I live in the northeast; mainly PA and Jersey.
I've been married since 1999 and ever since then I been dealing with my wife's schizophrenia. On four different times she has decided to throw me out of the house. The third time I waited three and a half years for her to come to her senses. Then after getting back together, a year or so later, I bought a $260K house on 5 acres in PA. For three years everything was fine, then, out of the blue, I find myself homeless again, save for my parents, who graciously took me back into their home.
I work with heavy equipment, so I make pretty good money, but after paying spousel and child support half my check is gone. On top of that we owed state and federal taxes that fell upon me to pay. The good thing is that by the end of the year they should be paid in full.
As of December 2013 she abandon our house and rented a place of her own. Through the courts I was able to take back possession of the house, and should be able to stay there until the foreclosure is final. That could be one year, four, or a month. The only certainty is uncertainty at this point.
But I have another problem with the house; if she had told me she was moving out, and the house needed fuel, I would've been able to either put some fuel in the tank, or drain the pipes so they wouldn't freeze. Well they froze. I was able to get water running to some parts of the house, but I'm uncertain regarding the copper pipes connecting the baseboards. I really don't want to invest money into a sinking ship. If I have to, I can heat one room with no problem.
If I didn't have to file for bankruptcy and my credit wasn't shut, my first choice would be a small house or cabin, but in this world we live in I'm able to get a car loan but not a mortgage in the same amount. Go figure.
Back in late 2008 I was working in upstate New York on the pipeline, a little more than an hour and a half from home. The cheapest place I could find to stay in was a bread and breakfast run by an older lady who lived alone. That cost me $50 per night. So I started thinking. How can I work up here without having to drive back and forth after twelve hours of work, and costs nothing? Then an idea came to mind. I would take my wife's Honda minivan, take the back seats out, cut some room darkening fabric and velcro it to the windows. And that's what I did. For the next three months I slept comfortably on an air mattress, sometimes in minus 15F weather. One night in the parking lot of some nice hotel, another night in the parking lot of a smaller motel. For three months I basically lived out of that van going home once every three weeks to take a shower and see the family. In the end I saved $350 per week, and $4200 total.
I did this before I knew people actually lived in vans. So when the time comes, even though it won't be easy, I think I can do it.
I just don't know what I should do. Should I stay at the house for free until I lose it? If I do I'll have to travel at least 150 miles per day and spend $400 to $500 on gas per month, plus the electricity bill. If I buy a new vehicle it could cost me about $500 a month, but I won't have to travel. If I travel, my car has just over 140,000 miles on it, is ten years old and don't know how long it will last. If I trade in now I might be able to get some good money for it since it's a diesel and is in excellent shape, outside and inside.
Why would I buy a new van and not a used one? If I buy used I risk having problems with it that I don't really want to deal with. I haven't had to make any car payments for a few years now, the thought of starting again doesn't sit well with me. I like not having to dish out my hard earned money at the end of the month. On the other hand, renting closer to where I work would cost me anywhere from $500 for a single room plus utilities, to $700 or $800 for a small apartment plus utilities, and I would still have to buy fuel for the car. In the end even if I have to pay $500 per month on a new van plus insurance it'll most likely be much cheaper than renting.
Hopefully I can get some ideas on this.
Here are my cargo van possibilities: GM savana 2500 extended, gas.
Nissan NV 2500 HD high top.
Ford ecoline 250.
Should I buy with some windows or none? Should I buy diesel or save the money and buy gas? Should I buy passenger or cargo? Should I buy any other type of van?
Any input will be very appreciated.
Thank you all.

Depends on your needs.

I'm in a similar situation and we've been in foreclosure mode for nearly 2 years, so depending on when you stopped paying on the house, you could be in there for a while longer. Use the time to build out a van. That's what I'm doing, but I found a used van with decent mechanicals, didn't want to get into a loan situation.

If you want to stand up in the van, sounds like the Nissan is the way to go. If you don't... I'm currently lusting after the 2014 Ford Transit Connect XL LWB, but I will wait a decade to buy used.

I'd consider an Ecoline because Ford's new full size transit will be out next year and maybe you can find a real deal on an E250?

Check out the new Dodge/Ram Promaster vans, too. I'd be happy enough with one of the short wheelbase, tall roof models -- they offer them with I4 diesel/manual configuration at about a 20% premium over V6 gas/automatic, also a long wheelbase version as well.

Good luck, man!

I've never understood buying a new vehicle. High payments, higher insurance costs. As soon as you drive them off the lot, they lose value you can never get back. With what you have saved, you should be able to buy a decent used van from a private seller. Even if you have to put a few bucks into it, think of all you're saving. Sell your car outright, you make a lot more that way. There's your cash to outfit the van. I wouldn't be happy without a high top, just my opinion but the extra storage alone make it worth it. You can add a high top to any van pretty cheaply so don't pass up a good deal on one without. I like windows myself, you have to decide what's right for you. Stay in the car (where is the minivan, can you still use it?) without the commute, buy the van, outfit it and then sell the car.

If it were me I'd buy a 2005-2008 conversion van a high top. My first choice would be a Chevy Express with 5.3 liter V8 but the Ford with 5.4 is a good van too. You'll save a LOT of money over new but if you have it checked out by a mechanic first it should give you many years of trouble-free service.

I'd move out of the house as soon the van was ready to live in.
Bob

mconlonx said:
Depends on your needs.

I'm in a similar situation and we've been in foreclosure mode for nearly 2 years, so depending on when you stopped paying on the house, you could be in there for a while longer. Use the time to build out a van. That's what I'm doing, but I found a used van with decent mechanicals, didn't want to get into a loan situation.

If you want to stand up in the van, sounds like the Nissan is the way to go. If you don't... I'm currently lusting after the 2014 Ford Transit Connect XL LWB, but I will wait a decade to buy used.

I'd consider an Ecoline because Ford's new full size transit will be out next year and maybe you can find a real deal on an E250?

Check out the new Dodge/Ram Promaster vans, too. I'd be happy enough with one of the short wheelbase, tall roof models -- they offer them with I4 diesel/manual configuration at about a 20% premium over V6 gas/automatic, also a long wheelbase version as well.

Good luck, man!

Hi there.
Thanks for the suggestions. I considered the ram Promaster but since it's a ram in name only -everything else being a Fiat- I didn't know how reliable it would be or if I could find qualified mechanics outside dealerships.
The ford 250 might work. The thing is, some people love a ford, while other say they are junk and won't last. Same with Chevy/GM.

Thanks.

decodancer said:
I've never understood buying a new vehicle. High payments, higher insurance costs. As soon as you drive them off the lot, they lose value you can never get back. With what you have saved, you should be able to buy a decent used van from a private seller. Even if you have to put a few bucks into it, think of all you're saving. Sell your car outright, you make a lot more that way. There's your cash to outfit the van. I wouldn't be happy without a high top, just my opinion but the extra storage alone make it worth it. You can add a high top to any van pretty cheaply so don't pass up a good deal on one without. I like windows myself, you have to decide what's right for you. Stay in the car (where is the minivan, can you still use it?) without the commute, buy the van, outfit it and then sell the car.

Hi.
Unfortunately the minivan was my wife's and she already sold it. Thing is I don't really have the money to dish out even for an used van. Fortunately though, I was able to get a car loan and I can buy from new, to all the way back to 2007 with no more than 70,000 miles.
And I would love some windows but I'm affraid I'll lose my stealth.

Thank you.

akrvbob said:
If it were me I'd buy a 2005-2008 conversion van a high top. My first choice would be a Chevy Express with 5.3 liter V8 but the Ford with 5.4 is a good van too. You'll save a LOT of money over new but if you have it checked out by a mechanic first it should give you many years of trouble-free service.

I'd move out of the house as soon the van was ready to live in.
Bob

Hi Bob.
Would GM be ok since it should be identical to the Chevy?
I'm just affraid of used cars. I know they can last a long time, and I don't feel like spending the next six years paying for a new vehicle. With my car loan I can only go back to 2007, and the older the vehicle, the higher the interest rate.

Thank you.

Buy used and pay cash. Get out of that house asap. Welcome to the tribe Read often, ask a lot of questions but mostly listen to o those that are having some success at this. Those that are happiest have a pattern that works for them. Did I say pay cash!

1. Get out of the house as soon as you can. I'm sorry. I know you have put a lot of effort into the place, but the market is much better now then previous years. You can get all the money your house is worth.
2. Get some vehicle used and pay cash or use the one you have, but don't waste your quality time, your nerves, gas, wear, and tear on commuting.
3. Monitor your house because no one else will. Know the basic bills and when they are due. Follow up they are paid or get on auto-payment for the bills. Replacing a heating system in a house averages 30K.
3. Thank God you did not have to file for bankruptcy. All future purchases and vehicles need to be solely, legally, in your name or she can make you grief for all future time, effort, and purchases.
4. How CAN you rationalize with someone who is crazy? That's right. You can't. It will drive YOU crazy until you realize this. It comes down to this: It's your sanity or hers.

There is a lot of cost savings and sanity to living in a vehicle if done correctly with a little preparation and planning. It will be the one home that YOU solely own. Your off the radar and she can't find you or hurt you anymore. It will be freedom. It's better to be in that vehicle eating a can of beef stew with a plastic fork, then in a big house full of strife with your stomach in knots.

Debt free is the only way to survive when you are mobile. Sell the house if possible ASAP. Get with the bank/mortgage holder to ifnd out what is involved. Buy used. The new vehicles we have bought have not had good track records. Used has lasted us better given the $$ we spent. Even the old 1976 Class C we bought for $2K in 2006 to live in fulltime is still on the road (my daughter is fulltiming in it). It's had two tune ups, replaced tires as needed and my daughter replaced the gears in the auto transmission. It's crapping out because she just wants to patch it together and not really fix it (she wants to convert a school bus after we leave NM and the Class C will be a donor). I am not in the VAN minded folks. I think schoolbuses are the perfect platform for conversions... just not stealthy (not that the others REALLY are, some nosiy parker will know they are living in their vans). So I will recommend an older RV (class C). It's ready to go NOW. You can park it in a parking lot plus it would give you a bathroom rather than play "where's a shower" game. Parking in an RV park monthly drops site rental down to $12 to $15 per night. For short term, public is cheaper, for long term (2-3 weeks or longer) private full hookup sites are cheaper. If you have to run a generator and/or pay up to $15 to dump/fill fresh tanks, you are NOT parking for free. Buy an RV cheap (make sure AC/heat works even if you think you won't use it), live in it for a year (thru all the seasons) and keep a journal where you note down what you like, what you don't like and what you wish. Save your $$. Buy a van if you choose to go the van route. Or buy whatever you decide you need. Live in the RV while you convert the other. Sell the old RV as a HUNTERS SPECIAL for a couple hundred on craigslist. I have seen folks living in many parking lots and on the streets in RV's and trailers. You just need to keep moving. If you use the RV as your daily driver, you could find several places near your work and rotate thru them if need be. Or yopu could put an add on craigslist for a place to park your RV. Someone might want to rent out a no longer used RV pad next to their house. Just check with a commercial campground to make sure you won't be overpaying.

Just to make things more confusing, I prefer Dodge.

Any of the American three should be good, just spend about 1/2 hour online looking up things like recalls and complaints before buying any one vehicle.

Every one of my exes cost me a house. Now I am proud to say I am nobodys fool. I am my own! (fool that is!)

Before you buy, think about what you want. Indoor plumbing. (RV) room to sleep (conversion van) room to stand up (Hi top van)

So many choices, and time is short. You might be able to cut a deal with the bank to get out of the house on a certain date, and get it written off of your credit.

Just be strong and stay away from the ex that has you that way. (Personal experience.)

Best of hunting.

I would get a class “B” van camper that is turn key with a frig that still runs on propane and add a high end cat propane heater.

Many are usually available and priced right for they are just too small except if solo.