Ford or Chevy Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachel

Reaction score
Hi,

I am pretty new to this forum and am saving up to buy a van.
Been looking at vans and would like some input from some van dwellers.

Which van would you recommend a chevy or a Ford?

I am looking for something dependable, low repairs etc.

Someone on this thread recommended a Chevy cargo 3500 to me.

I keep seeing Ford vans and was wondering, what others with experience have any take on them?

Thank you,

Rachel

Welcome Rachael,

Go look under the mechanical subforum and at the top is Gideon33’s sticky on common vans. Read that over, it should help.  Otherwise you’ll get some of the usual “I never would own a x brand” comments, though not nearly as bad as on make specific automotive forums. 
I don’t have a dog in this hunt, I have a Toyota...  :p

Hi there.  I have a Class B RV that has a Ford chassis (E-350).  Mine has some issues, not that they can't be overcome in time, but many love their Fords.  My hunch is that more folks will favor the Chevy and be able to give you the pros and cons.  It's pretty popular for mechanical reliability.  Will come down to the exact model though as there are differences there as well.  Will you be in one town or plan to travel?  Good luck in your research, lot of good info in the forum.

I own a Ford and a Chevy, not vans but 4 wheel drive trucks. I would say Chevy. highdesertranger

had both just do not like how fords drive.

thanks for asking this, Rachel!
I have been wondering the same thing, albeit truck not van. Am realizing my fabulous Subie just will not cut it for the TT I want. Have been driving a Subaru AWD vehicle since 1990 -- dependable and able to handle the steep Vermont mountain road I used to live on in, even in deep winter - never did NOT make it home.
But know now I need something with better tow capabilities and have been reading all I can about the pro/cons of cargo van vs truck. I think I have settled on truck and pretty sure I will go with  GM over Ford.  And def want to stick with AWD (does GM make an AWD? -- or do you just put it in 4wd and leave it there?). I would also like thoughts on stick vs. auto. Yes, I know stick puts you more in control, have driven stick for years. But as I get older, would be nice to give that clutch leg a break and am wondering if it is easier to back up, hitch & un hitch with an auto transmission.

So your Q is perfectly timed for a kind of "this or that" survey!
thanks to all for your .02

I have a 2001 Ford E150 4.2L that was my Dad's since 2003.
I looked at Dodge, Chevy and Ford vans mid-90's to mid 2000's in my area before deciding to go this route.
I am a firm believer that in these years the overall mechanical condition and mileage is a bigger factor than the make when it comes to the Big 3.
I made my choice based solely on the fact that I knew more about the history of the vehicle because it had been in the family and because it had done solely passenger duty it's whole low-mileage life. I found other vehicles with better engines (performance-wise and mileage-wise) with similar miles and mechanical condition, but they had either been contractor or fleet vehicles or had done unknown amounts of towing.
I came close to a few Chevy express and one Dodge, because I focused on year, mileage and mechanical condition more than brand.

Some say don't get a Ford because of the spark plug issue.
But I've been researching that and while it is a known issue, the more I look, themore it seems that the rate of occurrence is on par with other mechanical failures across the Big 3.
It's isn't a catastrophic failure (meaning it won't total out your vehicle if it occurs) and the fact that it is kind of a known issue, dealerships and mechanics know how to repair it.
I wouldn't let the sway me in the least.

You can go to sites like carcomplaints.com and look at specific reported problems by year and make. Keep in mind the sheer numbers of vehicle produced when you look at the site. People may be reporting 10-20 issues with a certain make...out of 10's of thousands sold. Also a vehicle that outsold another 2 to 1 may have twice as many problems reported...but in reality the failure rates are the same. That's why info like that should be weighed carefully.

In the end I think you should just go with the lowest mileage, best condition van that you can find that fits your needs. While low miles is no guarantee of reliability, it's been my experience with vehicles that a few thousand spent for lower miles generally pays for itself over the length of ownership.

tav-2020 said:
And def want to stick with AWD (does GM make an AWD? -- or do you just put it in 4wd and leave it there?). I would also like thoughts on stick vs. auto. Yes, I know stick puts you more in control, have driven stick for years.

None of the Big 3 make a factory 4WD full-sized van in the mid-1990's to mid 2000's range.
They are available but usually as aftermarket conversions or homegrown solutions.
They are not usually full-time systems and have to be selected when 4WD is needed.
They add a considerable premium to the price of a van and get scooped up for making "off-road adventure vehicle" builds.

Unless you plan on a lot of off-roading, a 4WD in a van is not needed. If a little extra traction is a must, you can add a limited-slip differential or an air locker to the rear axle of any full-sized van relatively easy and for much less than a 4WD system will cost.
The added traction is almost as good as 4WD.

Most full-sized vans have automatics, both new ones and mid-90's to mid-2000's.
Some manuals are available but they are rare.
case in point...a Carfax search of my area showing 1995-2005 vans for sale within 50 miles...27 are automatic and none are manual.

BinDerSmokDat said:
None of the Big 3 make a factory 4WD full-sized van in the mid-1990's to mid 2000's range.

Thanks for your detailed response! I really do appreciate it.

I actually was asking the same Q's about trucks...probably should not be hi-jacking Rachel's thread here!

tav-2020 said:
Thanks for your detailed response! I really do appreciate it.

I actually was asking the same Q's about trucks...probably should not be hi-jacking Rachel's thread here!

GM made an AWD 1500 series cargo van during the 2000’s all the way till 2014 when they dropped the 1500 line, a couple forum members have one.  They do just fine.

This world isn\ said:
Welcome Rachael,

Go look under the mechanical subforum and at the top is Gideon33’s sticky on common vans. Read that over, it should help.  Otherwise you’ll get some of the usual “I never would own a x brand” comments, though not nearly as bad as on make specific automotive forums. 
I don’t have a dog in this hunt, I have a Toyota...  :p

Worth noting that I'm a Ford guy and even I buy Chevy vans. 
Cheap and easy to maintain plus all the important bits are solid.
Plus, you can get modern r134a refrigerant and a pushrod motor.
Ford only had that combo for a couple years before updating.

Rachel, are you looking for a mini-van or a cargo van ?

We have the Nissan Cargo Van NV 2500 hightop. I love this van
and drive it everywhere... Great vehicle... :)

This world isn\ said:
Welcome Rachael,

Go look under the mechanical subforum and at the top is Gideon33’s sticky on common vans.

Thank you very much for posting this.  I came across that subforum earlier and have been looking all over for it.

Imo, saying "Ford" or "Chevy" is too general. Both have great engines and terrible engines. Both have rock solid transmissions and crap transmissions. You need specificity. For example, I love the Ford E150 with a 300 straight six and a C6 transmission. OTOH, the Chevy 350 engine and transmission combination is likewise excellent. I would not own any Chevy diesel motors, same with Fords when they were using their old International diesels. Answer? It depends.

wanderingfreeman said:
Imo, saying "Ford" or "Chevy" is too general. Both have great engines and terrible engines. Both have rock solid transmissions and crap transmissions. You need specificity. For example, I love the Ford E150 with a 300 straight six and a C6 transmission. OTOH, the Chevy 350 engine and transmission combination is likewise excellent. I would not own any Chevy diesel motors, same with Fords when they were using their old International diesels. Answer? It depends.

Yep thats true. You can't kill (or atleast you'll haveto really TRY) a Ford 300 and C6... Dodge slant-6 and 727, Chevy 250 and Turbo350. Same thing.

I never understood why Dodge never offered the Cummins diesel in their heavier B-vans...

Have owned multiples of vans from all three homegrown flavors.
3 From GMC/Chevy.
1 Ford.
1 Dodge, currently.
I'm having decent luck with the Dodge.
Do motorhomes count? Had real good luck with my old P30 chassis class A. 454 Chevy.
Never had any luck with the Ford, 2 transmissions later, and it was history. :dodgy: 
Have to say I had the best luck with Chevy/GMC, although the Dodge is hanging in there so far..........

"I never understood why Dodge never offered the Cummins diesel in their heavier B-vans..."

because it's so long the dog house would be huge. the whole dog house would need to be redesigned just for that engine. it is an excellent engine though. highdesertranger

Ballenxj said:
Have owned multiples of vans from all three homegrown flavors.

1 Dodge, currently.
I'm having decent luck with the Dodge. 
Have to say I had the best luck with Chevy/GMC, although the Dodge is hanging in there so far..........

Nobody ever, EVER give Mopar the credit that they really deserve, I am a die hard Mopar guy. Especially the older stuff!

Latest posts