FOR WOMEN ONLY: Necessity is the mother of...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ella1

Reaction score
The sliding door in the van is finally working again. I've been out a few times to paint. I generally park, get out and set up within a few feet of the door. There's rarely a rest room where I am, and there's (too) often, people hiking, biking, driving by within a few feet. Privacy is an issue when I need to go. I used to have to attach the curtains all around, a job in itself for me. Then, since I don't have a hightop, fight with clothes and positioning.
Last year I bought a P-Style to use and carry it with me. Recently, due to situations, I've been staying closer to home, using the outside edges of local parking lots to paint the scenery, and have used my pstyle and a plastic jar with a wide lid and bag to pee into. With the pstyle I can stand between the front door and van, and don't have to drop my drawers.  Using the jar, nothing goes on the ground, so no one would know what I'm doing. Using a bag in it, keeps the jar clean(er) and the fluid is easily disposed of.  What a relief!

Glad you found something that works!! I have wondered about the P-Style, thank you for your insight!! :)

Wish I had invented it years ago--or knew of it years ago.
It's right up there with the wheel as far as inventions go. Better than sliced bread, for sure!

When "out" I carry it in a colorful sock pinned to a belt loop so it's handy. Otherwise it resides in the car door pocket. The jar is close at hand. I probably over think, but I plan to place something "interesting" such as a map, local guide, snack, on the driver seat just in case of unexpected interruption, such as security guard.
Those times I might be able to get farther away, I made a case large enough for it, a bit of TP, a small vial of hand sanitizer and plastic baggies to attach to a belt.

What an awesome plan!!! (Makes me a tiny bit envious of men ...)

I've always wanted to try one but was worried about leakage, no issues with that?

Each one has an instruction card included, it's pretty simple. Apparently most people have no issues. I practiced using it at home, first without panties or jeans just in case. It took me a few tries to trust and to get it back far enough. After that, I used it with panties, and I learned how to move them aside (not lower them) and hold them out of the way. No problems since. Just a short learning curve!
Now, I unbutton, unzip, and lower the jeans slightly to get the base of the zipper low enough. I pull the Pstyle out of the sock, insert into position, and let loose.
I've spent a lot of years sitting to pee, so had to convince my body and muscles that it's okay to pee standing up. THAT took as long :).  Now I use it in public restrooms and at home. (frugal living--it saves on TP) When sleeping in the van, I generally just use a jar.
I thought of placing something on the car seat because of a surprise visitor . I was alone in a large parking lot to paint. I checked, and the nearest people were 40 yards or so away, and apparently not paying any attention to me. Both the passenger side doors were open, my setup was next to the sliding door, and I went to the driver side, checked again and the people were gone. So I stood between the open driver door and the seat, which on me, is quite high.
Next thing I hear a male voice calling hello! LOL! Suddenly the security guard was looking at me through the sliding door, then moved to the passenger door. I smiled at him,  swiftly placed the pstyle on the step, buttoned my jeans, straightened my large tshirt then walked around the front of the van.
He had NO idea what I was doing, (because I was a woman, and standing.)  He really couldn't see over the seat) but I would have preferred a "socially acceptable" reason to be on that side, hence the "interesting object."
Holding a bottle in front of my jeans--not a big deal.
I bought them for my daughters, and recommend them to you!

I'll give one a try, seems like it would be perfect when we go boating.

Before I bought, (from the company at http://www.thepstyle.com/?gclid=CKvvlLSa2MYCFciFfgodLcsE_g) I made one using a plastic wishbone salad dressing bottle. Almost any slim, long necked bottle might do. I cut a wedge from the bottom of the bottle to the neck, leaving the neck and opening intact. It's about the length of the pstyle, and worked. I bought the pstyle because for me, the cut plastic was too sharp on my tender parts. That's not a problem with the pstyle. There's testimonials at that site and a long thread at http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/81876-Female-urinal-use discussing various brands. responses include a few from women and boating. Do read that thread, tells about successes and failures re various models. If you buy from the company, she used to give a small discount for buying more than one.

Thanks, I'll read up on it. I keep thinking about not only the convenience of it, but feeling less vulnerable when you're out in nature.

Some other options, hopefully one for everyone or spurs a new idea. Sorry that some are duplicates, others got them posted before I finished creating this.

Home made FUD/STD like the P-Style using a jug with an off set neck like a Heet bottle: free if you need the contents and are just going to throw away the bottle.
Just cut a portion of the side & bottom off so it looks like the  P-Style type devises & use as such. Still need toilet paper like with using a toilet because urine will still soak your lips.

Mini Home made FUD/STD using a child's liquid medicine spoon: $1 from the Dollar Tree store.

The wider end of the spoon (the "scoop" end) is held against you, between the labia, to create a seal around the urethral opening. This is the end that you pee into. Cut off the tip at the other end (the handle of the spoon) at a 45 degree angle, so that the tip points downwards when the spoon end is up against you or drill a hole (start smallish cause you can always make it bigger, not smalker. This is the end the pee flows out of. You will have to practice at home to find the correct placement, & preasure you hold it against yourself (too much will cut off the flow) for the spoon so you don't have leakage. Some people trim/sand down any sharp edges they may find on their medicine spoon, or may otherwise modify it to suit their needs. Very fine grit sandpaper can be used to smooth out any rough edges. If you desire it to be longer you can add a length of tubeing where it's outside diameter fits snuggly inside the spoon's shaft once the tapered end is cut off if you drilled a hole rather than cutting off the end. You can glue the 2 together but not necessary if the fit is snug, then it's easier to clean.
No need for toilet paper if you use it like a squeegee when you remove it. Just be mindfull of where you're aiming because the suction may hold a few drops. Well pays for itself. Very   discreet.

Coffee Can Lid/Flexible Plastic Disc: free.
This is a rather simple device that can be easily made at home. Take the flexible plastic lid from a can of coffee grinds, or from a similar package (like a cottage cheese container or large yogurt tub), and cut away the lip so it is flat. The lid needs to be flexible enough to roll into a funnel shape or a U-shape for use. Hold the funnel end/U-end far enough back so that you position it behind your urethral opening. Aim the pointed end down toward the toilet bowl, and pee. You will have to practice to get the hang of it. You can also experiment with trimming and rolling the device in a manner that works best for you. Very fine grit sandpaper can be used to smooth out any rough edges.
These devices are the easiest to carry and conceal in your back pocket, or even in a small pocket in your underwear.

Turkey Baster: $3-15 from Amazon.
Remove the bulb from the end (usually pulls right off). From there you may cut the tube to a shorter length if required and sand or melt the cut end smooth. Practice trying it out in the shower until comfortable. Position the wide end over your urethra (Hint, its not in the front. Its more near the bottom) and press to create a seal. Let a little out to test. If you have the right hole, a stream should come out the end of the turkey baster. Now let loose! When you're done shake it to get rid of any drips pull it up and out. (Note: There is often a suction depending on which device you use so when you pull it out there might be a small stream that comes out). If no one is looking, take your device to the sink and rinse it off and stick it in your pocket . If you're not comfortable with that just stick it in your waistband and rinse it later. After awhile you'll get the hang of it and find your sweet spot and have no accidents.

Flexible tubes
A creative use for a flexible oil spout found in the automotive section of many retail stores. Modifying one of the ends to fit (and smooth the edges) is often all that is needed.

Thanks for that information. I really like the pstyle. Most of those others seem way to messy to me, as well as potentially functionally inoperative. I would not trust any, esp when getting clean dry clothing is either not an option, or time consuming and difficult.

I got a pStyle, and once I got the hang of it (really- no pun intended.. I promise) it was easy and simple to use.

I don't find the need for tpaper, because I gently use the pStyle to squeegee myself after. aka scrape gently and slowly forward...

I may have to try the one I have again. I used to drive truck and peeing in a wide mouth bottle was easy. Then I got into kayaking and the female urinal devices that you are talking about was easier and smaller to carry around. BUT, as I have gotten older and the parts flabbier, well...... I tried the bottle in the van and made a mess. I was horrified to find some urine running down my leg. It was like it had no downward direction if that makes sense. It worked when I was wide awake, but first thing in the morning was when I had problems. Too sleepy to figure it out? Thanks for this thread. Going to try it out again.

Ever try finding a bush at the side of a busy interstate where there were no bushes after the vehicle died?  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Thank GOD for the Pstyle--and a bottle!  
Used it before calling  911, not knowing when a cop or tow truck would show up! And so glad I had it, it was a l-o-o-o-n-g time to the nearest pot!    :D

I've started carrying an extra home-made one in the van in case of emergency for a friend if needed...  :angel:

Checkthe shape of the P-style at http://www.thepstyle.com/ .
Others I've tried include: One was a small plastic pepsi bottle. I cut a (___) shape out of the body/side. Problems, really sharp plastic, and the neck was too short, but it does work.
Another was a sugar free syrup container. The problem there was the shape as the body of the bottle entered the neck , same somewhat with the pepsi bottle. It didn't occur to me until just now to cut off the very top where the threads for the lid are.
The bottles with syrup for snowcones, slushies, and drinks are probably an appropriate shape.

The first home-made one I read of, and tried, was made from a plastic wishbone salad dressing bottle.
I cut it to leave about 1/2 the base intact, then cut toward the neck. Again, refer to to the shape of the P-style.

Ella - this sounds awesome! I'm going to give it a try. This takes recycling to a new level! Thank you!

Had to tell you all this: Last trip I stopped at a Wendy's for lunch, after which I followed a woman into the ladies room. It was a 2 seater, and now both stalls were in use. The woman I followed in took the empty one, and soon the other was vacated. I decided to use the P-style. The woman in the other stall was either having a really hard time or was using a couple of whoopie cushions. I did my business and left, stopping to wash hands, of course. Before I turned the water off, the other woman burst OUT of her stall.
I KNOW she was expecting to see a male, as it was obvious I was not sitting in the
prescribed manner. Her expression was priceless, and I'm still giggling about it.

There is a youtube video where the instructors at a survival school teach their female students to make one out of a heet bottle with tape around the edges.  I haven't tried it, I use my pstyle and love it.  Check out the video it is funny to watch as he actually demonstrates how to put it in your pants to position it against your body starting at 2:15 ...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mzxF-TMYrU