FOR WOMEN ONLY: Great Confidence Booster for the Solo Lady Traveler :)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katelyn

Reaction score
I definitely agree with this article, and I've heard all the negative comments from friends and family: "someone might kidnap you" LOL!! "can't you take someone along" umm...NO "it's not safe for ladies to travel alone" should I dress like a guy and buy a fake beard then?

Since I've started part timing on my own 2yrs ago, I've only ran into one creepy dude asking me for money in exchange for his license, but wth, that happens anyway if I drive downtown to a crappy gas station.

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/blog...easons+you+should+go+solo&utm_source=Facebook

Good article! I'm surprised at the number of single women who are fulltime travelers. I haven't seen any negative comments about traveling alone from any of them. Years ago when I camped with female friends and traveled with my preteen daughter we were pretty much a rarity. It's nice to see all of the women out exploring the world today!

I agree - good article!

As someone who was raised with all the confidence fully intact, I'm constantly amazed at both the number of women who are fearful of doing things on their own and the far out comments from people who think we should be afraid.

That's not to say that I don't pay attention to my own safety, I do, but not at the detriment of getting out there!!

Thanks for the link to the article. Your list of negative comments made me chuckle. I've traveled alone most of my life, even when I was attached with a SO. I even traveled alone as a 13 year old on an international flight that I needed to change planes and also get through customs by myself. I've found most people are friendly and open. Those that are not just usually for their own reasons want to keep to themselves. I'm not a pollyanna. I know there are bad things that happen in the world, but if you keep your wits about you and take some basic safety precautions, generally you will be safe.

GypsyChic

I've been traveling solo for four years now and have not (knock on wood) had a single negative incident. I do avoid sketchy areas and stick to large chain gas stations and commercial campgrounds so maybe I do play it safe.