For those that wrench

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4RunnerBlues

Reaction score
Where can a nomad work on their own van? Or other vehicle for that matter. I understand that BLM and NF don’t take kindly to this. Parking lots? I don’t think owners would be happy with that either. So where can I change my oil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have some basic things like a oil filter wrench,  and a catch basin for the oil filter discharge when you change the filter you could change oil in short time.

I've used these quick change plugs for some time on my vehicles.  Many of them are threaded where you can put a short piece of hose on it to drain it directly into a one gallon or 5 quart plastic jug.   That can be taken to various parts stores and recycled there.

This is a quick change plugs.  They are about an inch long.  You just throw the lever and it drains.  If you have the hose screwed into it and a jug to catch the oil in it can really be a quick job.  My Vans have had enough road clearance under them to craw under them and do this in about 10 minutes. 

EZ Oil Drain Valve

I don't know where you are. but for anything more than a minor repair I ask private property owners. farmers, ranchers, small businesses any body with some property, but I get along good with most of them. once I even asked the local police if there was a problem if I used the lot across the street from their station, got the green light.

please don't make a mess, properly dispose of any waste, be a good steward of the land.

highdesertranger

Changing oil properly shouldn't allow anything to touch the ground, and only take 15 minutes, so I can't see the problem. A van sits high enough, you shouldn't need 1/2 ramps, or a jack either.

good advice and one of the reasons i have basically given up doing oil changes myself. got caught up under my 
car and accidentally tipped over oil pan making a HUGE mess :(  i can pay to have it done and it is a lot less
messy...

a point about having your oil changed at a shop. many of the oil change shops and a lot of mechanic shops use the cheapest oil and filters they can find. make sure you know what you are paying for. some of the cheap filters are junk. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
a point about having your oil changed at a shop. many of the oil change shops and a lot of mechanic shops use the cheapest oil and filters they can find. make sure you know what you are paying for. some of the cheap filters are junk. highdesertranger
That and they sell you one oil and use the cheaper oil instead in place of it. Fram comes to mind on cheap oil filters, don’t touch them...

Weldman said:
That and they sell you one oil and use the cheaper oil instead in place of it. Fram comes to mind on cheap oil filters, don’t touch them...

Or not change the filter at all....like my Dad experienced when he wrote his initials (with a sharpie) on the oil filter before he entered.  He had his suspicions about this shop, and when confronted, they apologized profusely, and promised to do the next two oil changes free of charge...."NO THANKS" !

There's a $12.99 oil shop I asked if I brought my diesel, my own oil & filter if they'd change it for that. They did & even gave me 5 qts of oil in my container & a filter for my sons car & I got to watch them do it

I get my oil changed by an oil change shop wherever I am when needed. I buy the blended High mileage stuff and don't just go sit in the waiting room. The upcharge oil I find they have to pour out of sealed factory oil containers. Their cheap house brand oil is always in a hose connected to a bulk oil tank somewhere even if it is synthetic.

I often see folks working on their vehicles in the parking lots of the auto parts stores. As long as you're buying parts from the store and are respectful of their property they don't seem to mind. Some stores will rent, or even loan you tools while you're doing a repair in the parking lot...........One evening, while I was on the road working construction, I did a complete rear brake job in the parking lot of an O'Reilly's.

Once, while working on the road I changed my truck's oil in the workplace parking lot. I used a small plastic tub, a funnel, and a  couple of plastic jugs to retain the old oil, and some rags and a large piece of cardboard to retain the mess. Proper disposal of the old oil could be problematic, but fortunately most auto parts stores and service centers will freely accept used engine oil and filters.........  I think they get a tax break or something for doing so.

^
Yes, I've replaced a water pump and timing chain at O'Reilly's, an alternator at an Autozone,etc. I always ask them first and make a point of buying something, even if I don't need it right away.

For changing oil, I just do it at rest areas. Always keeping things tidy, of course.

Many years ago I asked at a Jiffy Lube what weight of oil they had for my truck's differential. The kid said, "10w-30".

I've been doing it myself ever since.