For the above 60 year olds - how old?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offroad

Reaction score
Am fascinated by the older folks who travel on the road to live full time. Since most do not like to admit their own age, can you tell me the ages of the top three oldest persons you know living full time on the road? And also how does their health look, and are they overall happy ( or just tolerant due to circumstances).

Not you personally. But if it is you, pretend it's someone else. To maintain anonymity.

Read an article last year about those forced to live on the road when over 60. But thinking it's mostly a choice.

I have a couple of friends who are on the road half the year, during winter. They rent out their NC mountain cabin during that time, travel the nation in their Class A. Both are married, in their upper sixties, and also carry a couple small 250cc dual sport bikes on a custom rear rack. They like trail riding. I admire their spirit and spunk! Not 'full timers' but as close to it as makes little difference.

Lee- that sounds like an awesome story. Have read about folks who built a tiny house in NC mountains for less than $20k. Sounds smart to just rent it out for winter, and go travel during that part of the year. If you can find some young student to rent during winter months.

I think my friends, living on the road, are almost split evenly down the middle.

There are too many to count but I'd make a quick (under) estimate of 10 over and 10 under 60. All are on the road by choice, and are happy and healthy to the best of my knowledge.

I have met a woman who is 78, fulltiming in a Winnebago View and several others in their 60's and 70's. I am in my late 60's. It seems more common in the West for women of any age to fulltime solo but most are widows, like myself.

For those that I know (a few), correspond with (~dozen):
They keep going until something forces them to stop, usually health related issues. Sometime in the mid to late 70s. Oldest is 76 and still going.

-- Spiff

I haven't found people to be that reluctant to share their ages, specially after I mention that I am 72. Here is a blog post I did about a couple I met:

http://simplegreenliving.com/5539/chat-19-year-full-time-rvers/

If you do the math in the article, you might think they were 78 or 79 but they both recently turned 80. Both very sharp and physically active.

Have met several others in their later 70s.

I'm 71 this year, not full time though I spend a couple of weeks a month traveling in my van...

Yesterday was my 70th birthday. Reading these posts have made me feel more sure of myself. Maybe I'm NOT too old to start a new life; a VANDWELLING life!

We have a friend who is 67 and has been fulltiming for about five years along with his wife who is 62. They're fulltiming by choice and love it but aren't as healthy as they would be if they ate better and exercised more.

Another couple are in their early 70s, aren't fulltiming yet but they've been on the road since November with no real plans to go home. They're in excellent health and could run circles around people younger than themselves.

I can’t wait until I get to 60 because I will get 5% off on Tuesday at the White Haven Food Market.

Woo-hoo we goin Sizzler!

Since I plan to do this the rest of my life, I do wonder whats going to happen when I get old. I'm in my 40s now. If I manage to do this into my late 80s... what after that? I wont have money for a retirement home and I dont want to burden my kids.

One of my favorite road friends hit the road about the same time I did in the early sixties. Ev & Jim will turn 99 & 101 this year. They have been living in their Bluebird Wanderlodge since they sold their house and bought it new and hit the road. When they got too old to drive about 20 years ago, their son, now in his 70's I think, joined them on the road and does the driving.

Jim is starting to slow down now, Ev can still run circles around anybody I know. They have ate what they wanted all their lives, and both drink and smoke. Their son was a health nut, and now has many health problems.

Like myself, they would like to die on the road parked in some beautiful spot. They want their ashes to remain on the road with the survivors, and I guess sometime this summer their grandson will be joining them to take over the driving responsibilities.

I'm one of the youngsters of the group, approaching 69 years old, with a worn out body. I'm beginning to regret all the exercise I did when I was younger to stay healthy, because all of the now spry older people, did nothing to stay healthy, and they're in far better shape than I'm in.

Most of my traveling friends are mid 80's and up, and didn't hit the road until after retirement. I've spent almost my entire adult life on the road, either as a truck driver or delivering vehicles. Lived out of my sleeper cab for over 20 years, and RV's and vans the rest of the time. Bought an off grid cabin back in the 70's, but find myself spending less and less time there, the road is more enjoyable. The highlight of my life is now the van and RV rallies, followed by spending time with friends around the country.

I will turn 62 later this year (retirement!) -- yes, I know, when you all meet me you will simply NOT believe I am that "mature." Young looking from good family genes. hahaha ;)

I spent more than half of last year boondocking in my primitive extended van and loved it. Lost some weight, learned to relax deeply -- can't wait to get out to the Rockies again later this year.

Any particular use for this survey?

Mr.LooRead said:
I can’t wait until I get to 60 because I will get 5% off on Tuesday at the White Haven Food Market.

Woo-hoo we goin Sizzler!

Mr.LooRead...all kinds of wonderful things can get revved up when one reaches the magic 60. You'll see. :p

Just came back from a get together in AL - at least two of the women there were over 70 - one was in her 'late seventies'. One of the men there was probabling in his 70s as well. Another three women were at least in their 60s. Several men in their 60s as well. Out of 13 - 20 people, at least 10 were over 60. Most of the rest in their 50s, most likely, with one 'near' 21.