Floor Coatings

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paisley777

Reaction score
Hello,

I have finally gotten back to the van and the floor ready to be replaced.  I have access to some elastomeric roof coating leftover from another project.  It seems like this might be a good material for adding a bit of insulation/coating for the floor.  Has anyone used this?

Best,
Paisley

I put some on over automotive paint and it wasn't long before it peeled off down to the primer. 

We are fixin' to rip out our old (temporary) carpet to install vinyl flooring. Gonna go with 1/2 foam board and tempered hardboard with flooring installed with mastic.

Best reviews I've read were for Monstaliner.  It's a liquid truck-bed liner that doesn't have to be sprayed; you can roll or brush it on.  Tough as nails and looks good; comes in a lot of colors and it doesn't have crumb-rubber in it like some other brands so it goes on more even and smooth.  That elastomeric stuff wasn't designed to take load and wear; this stuff is.

Paisley777 said:
... I have access to some elastomeric roof coating leftover from another project.  It seems like this might be a good material for adding a bit of insulation/coating for the floor...

I don't think you want to do that. If you want to paint the floor, buy some 1 part epoxy garage floor paint. You can get it tinted in many colours.

Fun tip: There's really no such thing as a one-part epoxy paint. It says that on the can, sure, but epoxy is a two-part system. Anything else... just has bits of pre-bonded epoxy in it so that they can put it on the label...

TMG51 said:
Fun tip: There's really no such thing as a one-part epoxy paint. It says that on the can, sure, but epoxy is a two-part system. Anything else... just has bits of pre-bonded epoxy in it so that they can put it on the label...

Even funner tip: once you mix the catalyst into the paint with a 2 part epoxy, you had better get it on quickly because it starts setting up. I rarely recommend 2 part epoxy because too many people would not read the directions, would mix the catalyst into the paint and then get all upset because it set up before they could use it or use it all (you don't stop to take a break with 2 part epoxy). 1 part epoxy paint is more forgiving. Tougher than porch/floor paint. And don't use any to the textured exterior deck paints inside (Restore, Deckover, etc).

No matter what type of paint you use, no matter where you use it at, with paint, prep is EVERYTHING.

DISCLAIMER: This is merely what I did. I am not telling you to do this. I am just saying what I did. This may or may not work for Vandwellers. I am not a Vandweller. I live in a converted school bus (skoolie). I do not boondock so this may or may not be suitable for those who do boondock.

I put Trafficmaster Ceramica (with 1/8" grout lines) on my floors. It's a self stick on a finished floor/substrate but I put it down on raw OSB so I had to use PL375 adhesive. I also used caulking not unsanded grout. Feels like tile but not as cold. Tougher than tile (I have dropped the circular saw on it more than once) but glasses don't break on impact. Easy to install (cut with a straight edge and a sharp razor knife - also you can use the razor knife to shave off for close trims). I have installed this stuff 6 tiles at a time. Easy to clean (I damp mop with a Rubbermaid Reveal mop and use a solution of water/white vinegar with a couple drops of the ProForce Pink Dish washing detergent). I buy the tile by the box as I need it. I put it down as I need it or feel like it. It will get cold during winter freezing temps. I have those $7 blue sleeping bag pads from Wal-Mart on the floor as throw rugs. It was 36F when I got up this morning and I walk around in my socks. So the floor is not that cold.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficM...yl-Tile-Flooring-30-sq-ft-case-5312/202191235 30 (12X12) pieces in a box $35.70 ($1.19/sf).

2 part paints are definitely harder for the average person to work with - that just happens to be the only way you actually get an epoxy coating. There are other single part paints that are easier to work with such as emulsified and urethane blends that give interesting bonding options in an easy application. But no coating excuses the prep work beneath it. I think the vinyl tiles are a good option. I'm not sure if OP is talking about coating the channeled floor of his van directly and building a floor on top of that, or if he's talking about a finished coating for a new floor.