Flippin' Campers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mouldy

Reaction score
So, I was wondering if there was anybody that knew of someone that takes older campers, fixes them, and then sells them for hopefully a profit?<br>I know that there are "classes" for RVIA and other "official" RV associations that want people to have "certified" repairs and modifications.<br>Would you be worried about being sued if you fixed up and sold a camper or anything else for that matter?<br>I really enjoyed fixing my camper up and believe I did a high quality job (i'd do even higher quality for something I'd sell) . I would like to do it on my spare time but fear that if something were to go wrong, I could be sued.<br>What do ya think?<br><br>

Hi Mouldy,<br>I know that FourWheel and AllTerrain campers both refurbish their own and each other's used campers when they take them on trade or buy them from previous owners. I think the FourWheel campers who owns SixPac campers does it with those too.<br><br>You won't have any problems as long as you are just a private party doing it as a hobby. If you became a business there may be some liability issues, I am not certain though.<br>As a private party you sell the camper "as is" even though you may have refurbished it....just like any vehicle....<br>Have fun,<br>Bri<br><br>

My brother in law used to buy cars at auction, fix them up, and sell them.&nbsp; He did have to get licenced as a car dealer.&nbsp; (California)&nbsp; This is one of those things that probably varies state to state.<br>

yeah, in CA, maybe other states too, you can only sell a set number of vehicles each year, before you're considered a dealer.<br><br>&nbsp;i've been trying to do this too, only with trailers. the problem i'm having is that i can only pull small trailers with my truck, and there aren't many small ones out there. <br>

Well, what (how much) do you have to lose? Freedom's just another word...

As mentioned, I am sure this would be fine as long as you are a private party selling them and not doing too many units a year according to your state laws. That shouldn't be a problem if you are taking time to do them right and only one person doing the work. I think it would be a fun, I love modding and restoring stuff!

I have a question about this: If you buy a camper, motorhome whatever to fix and resell...how do you get around paying the taxes &amp; registering it, tags etc. only to resell and maybe these costs eat up any profit you might make...or do you not register/tag etc in the time you have it?? But then how to get it "home" with no tag?? Yep, I am obviously confused about the logistics of buying and selling without the luxury of a Dealer Tag...<br>