FLA battery charging and maintenance

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TooManyDogs

Reaction score
So, I bought a group 31 Super Start "maintenance-free" battery for my solar setup. It's hooked to the 100W portable kit from Renogy. A couple of questions:

1) If it's maintenance free, can /do I still pry off that cap to check electrolyte levels? Any risk I would damage it (or hurt myself, though I'll be sure to wear goggles and acid-proof gloves)?

2) Equalization: According to the manual, the controller will apply an equalization charge every 29 days. Since it's designed to charge to the point of off-charging, won't I HAVE to add di water to the battery?

3) If my battery is now fully charged (I have no load on it yet. I'm playing with the 12 v fridge on AD), what do I to with it? Hook it up to the solar panel every month or so? I plan on taking a few weekend camping trips in a month or two but I'm too busy at work right now. I'm only in the exploratory phase of van dwelling.

4) I think the Viewstar controller is time-based. Meaning it moves through the different charging phases by time, and not by the actual battery voltage. (There is a screen with boost phase and equalization phase times set of 120 minutes.) Does anybody know if this is correct? Do chargers know to reduce the boost voltage time down if it takes only an hour to recharge what was used overnight?

Thanks for your help.

I don't have any answers for your situation. but a friend of mine just pried the top off his sealed battery on his Harley. after that, the top would no longer stay in place. they told us at the battery shop that a lot of the sealed batteries are that way, that the top has one way clips once in place can not be removed. highdesertranger

I would either talk to the Viewstar people or check the manual (or both).  My Midnite Kid has voltage based charging that can be set up.  I just haven't done it yet so it is still time based.

The battery you bought appears to be an engine starting battery and is not designed for deep cycle use.  Most would recommend a marine battery as it looks like you are trying to keep costs to a minimum.  Better yet would be two golf cart batteries.  Marine batteries are meant to be discharged and recharged (think trolling motors).

I agree with Brian, it sounds like you have an engine starting battery.  If so, it's not going to last very long in a deep cycle use.  Does it SAY " marine battery" or "rv battery" on the case anywhere?

I would not attempt to pry caps off a sealed battery, nor would I equalize it.  There is usually some way to disable "automatic" equalization cycles on most charge controllers.

Regards
John

Did your battery come from O'Reilly Auto Parts?  If so it may be OK, not the best choice but will work.

Other than their commercial line these were the only group 31 batteries listed.

SUPER START
AGM BATTERIES
Capable of both starting and accessory power. Ideal for
on-board electronics, stereo systems, off-road vehicles
and marine applications. No need to add water, very
vibration resistant due to the tightly packed construction
of the plates and separators. 

O'Reilly Auto Parts Battery pdf

Part # SSB AGM31T   
(CCA) @ 0˚ F    925 
20 AH Rate       100 
Min @ 25 A      190