First Police Encounter...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One Awesome Inch

Reaction score
Earlier tonite I was working on my van for about 3 hours. Around 11:30pm I see red and blue lights flashing into my rear windows and then the dreaded knock. I'm a very law abiding citizen and a speeding ticket is about the worst infraction I have had. So I open the rear door and hop out. I guess the cop was at the driver door. He told me someone called in about seeing a flashlight moving around in a van and it was obviously me the caller was referring to. I fashioned a headlamp out of an old baseball cap and an LED bike light. It as still on my head when he was talking to me. I told him I was working on some renovations on the van and the only time I could do it was when the kids are are asleep... all of which is 100% true. He asked if I was the registered owner of the vehicle and to see some ID. 30 seconds later he was back with my license and drove off.

This was definitely a strong reminder to follow the advice you often hear about your parking spot for the night. When its time for bed drive to your overnight stealth spot and just go to sleep.

In my case I was obviously doing nothing wrong, but now a cop in my neighbourhood knows my van and knows who I am.

I'd rather that were not the case. :s

On the other hand, he knows your van and who you are, that you are NOT a threat, and will just skate on by next time instead of rousting you........ Look for the bright side! :)

I drive my van to work and park in the lot. It's an E350 with Stahl utility body and the office from which I work is located in a light industrial complex, about half small manufacturing or services, half office space. There are other work trucks at other businesses which park overnight all the time. My van fits right in.

The other night, I was working late and accidentally hit the panic button on the alarm system. Eventually cleared it, but not before the security company called the cops for a driveby. I was sitting at the end of the lot, checking my phone when a cop drove up and stopped beside me, rolled down the window:

Cop: "Hey, did you just set off an alarm in Unit 7?"
Me: "Yes sir, accident, fumbling in the dark..."
Cop: "Well, OK, we got a call, just checking."
Me: "Great, need to see an ID or do a walk-through or anything?"
Cop: "Nope, I've seen this truck parked here before, you're good to go."
Me: "Thanks, officer!"

And that was it -- he did a sweep of the lot, I exited and went elsewhere.

Funny thing is, I've slept over on occasion when working late or I needed to be there early. And apparently, cops noticed, but didn't think someone was actually sleeping in it. Good to know that A) they are familiar with the vehicle, B) assume it is sometimes parked overnight as a work truck associated with an existing business, and C) don't suspect (or maybe don't care) that someone is sleeping in it when it is parked overnight. (I've discussed my situation with my boss and not only did he suggest using the lot to park/sleep, but also that I should clean up the unused shower for use.) Wicked stealth!

Agreed - the cop might know you're in the van and that you seem a little odd, but on the other hand he knows you aren't a tweaker or thief or child molester or whatever fear he might have in his head about some stranger in a van. He probably won't take the initiative to roust you on his own and if someone calls in with a complaint he'll just knock and tell you to find another spot.

The only lesson here is to black out your windows so people don't see your headlamp!

Yeah the rear windows are tinted, not that dark though, and I placed a curtain over them for double light blocking. However, the front is completely open as I have yet to build the partrition.

This spot is on a public street with a fair amount of traffic and right next to a bunch of (newly built) condos. I was considering working at the local walmart parking lot from now on, but I'd rather not as right now the spot I was in is only a 5 min walk from my current residence.

One thing for sure is once I am ready to move into the van I will be apprehensive about sleeping there now. Too bad as it was a good spot, but I guess there are others.

After you have everything set-up and some experience sleeping other places, sleep there when it wouldn't be a big deal to not have a full nights sleep, i.e. like when you have the next day off. don't sleep there the night before a big presentation. If it's a problem, you know you can't put it in your rotation. If it's not, then you can put it in your rotation.

Good point. However, its never a fun thing to be woken up in the middle of the night... especially by cops. So its best to just not use it at all for sleeping.

One thing unique to my situation is that in my job they do a criminal record search every 3 years due to the nature of my employment. If I got arrested, though unlikely, my career would be over.

Yes, I see how the stakes are a little higher for you. Understand not wanting to take a chance.

Cops are smart, we generally aren't fooling them, they know we live in our vans. Unless they have a reason to suspect a problem they just leave us alone. I suspect that happens the majority of the time.
Bob

I certainly hope that is true. I just want to be left alone in peace. I wont be parking in front of people's houses or in suburban neighbourhoods where people have a "reason" to complain about my van.

I agree the cops know more than we realize. They're out there all the time and can easily spot something that doesn't quite fit with normal. And they've seen it all so pretty much can assess what's going on.

Improving the barrier to light exiting the vehicle is not the only thing to be concerned with because you can still be spotted by sound and movement. BTW just a suggestion on working in one locale and sleeping in another, if you are somewhere near a city line think about working in one city and sleeping in the other because it might interrupt communication between cops about what you're doing.

I would say it is a good thing. I treat every LEO like I am glad to see them, and thank them for being willing to do a hard job. This usually results on them telling about how rewarding it is to be able to help people and get paid for it.

I would say it is a good thing. I treat every LEO like I am glad to see them, and thank them for being willing to do a hard job. This usually results on them telling about how rewarding it is to be able to help people and get paid for it.

I believe it's always better to meet the leo's before hand if you are going to be in an area for any length of time. this way if for some reason they see you parked or someone calls on you they know who they are dealing with. once I repaired a vehicle right across the street from their station. I went into the station before hand told them I had a problem and needed to fix it. I could look right into the front desk to see the person at the desk from where I was parked. when they had a shift change the Sargent came over and told me he let the next shift know I was there and if I was going to spend the night there. I said no, I was almost done and would be leaving soon. it sounded to me like he was saying I could spend the night there. highdsertranger

ah, if you got nothing to worry about, you have nothing to worry about. highdesertranger

I live near Seattle right now (in a house, will be selling and joining you guys on the road this year) and I see scores of people living in tents under the various overpasses in downtown Seattle. I don't mean one or two, but rather 10 to 20 tents in some locations.

If these people don't get hauled off, I have my doubts that police officers are really concerned about someone minding their own business in a legal, registered van.

I agree with these sentiments too.

LEO's are just trying to do a job (one you couldn't pay me a million bucks a year to do)...and a lot of their contacts are with very unpleasant folks.

I try to be the one where they leave feeling good about their day, and maybe even with a chuckle under their breath.

this is why I also don't believe in stealth. You ain't foolin' anyone. Just be your positive self.

Had another incident the other night. I needed to clean and organize all the materials in the van but it was pouring rain so I went to Ikea which has a very large covered parking garage. I got things all tidied up (much, much better) and decided to work on the van some more. I was parked way off away from the other cars. I working on the floor and looked up when I noticed some fancy Audi park 10 metres in front of me. Some well dressed young got out had a cigarette and looked at my van. Then he did a double-take and looked right at me and my headlight / flashlight gave me away for sure. I just ignored him and kept working. A minute later I look up and he is still staring right at me. So I go back to work, then look up again. Now he and his car are gone. I thought heck with this, I dont need more confrontation or hassle so I got in behind the wheel and started to drive off. Just as I was leaving the parking lot, I noticed a security guard running to the spot where I was. Good thing I thought to leave before I had to deal with some god-complex security dude.

Privacy curtain has now become priority number one.

Next time you are at IKEA, just spread out some complicated instructions on assembling trendy wooden furniture on the hood of your van and people will just think you are trying to put together something you just bought. :D

Ikea parking for ikea customers. Technically if you are not buying you are trespassing. another reason to like wal mart.