Feedback on Victron MPPT Install

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkK

Reaction score
Bluetooth dongle not pictured.

This is for my portable 80WX2 panels. I wanted to mount the SC sideways but Victron said it needs to be vertical.

All I have to do is pull out the coiled section and drop it out where I connect to the line from the panels using the SAE 2-pin connector. Short run from the SC to batteries, both legs include inline fuse, 20A. Wire is 12AWG.

OK? Fire hazard? Better to do it another way?
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    283.8 KB · Views: 39
I think what we are looking at is a slide-out battery drawer...so when it is closed, is there airspace just above the Victron for airflow?

Although it probably wont ever get warm with just 160 watts max input. But you never know.

I like how you marked the positive leads with red tape.

MarkK said:
Bluetooth dongle not pictured.

This is for my portable 80WX2 panels. I wanted to mount the SC sideways but Victron said it needs to be vertical.

All I have to do is pull out the coiled section and drop it out where I connect to the line from the panels using the SAE 2-pin connector. Short run from the SC to batteries, both legs include inline fuse, 20A. Wire is 12AWG.

OK? Fire hazard? Better to do it another way?

If it were my install I'd give it a thumbs. Looks good.

tx2sturgis said:
I think what we are looking at is a slide-out battery drawer...so when it is closed, is there airspace just above the Victron for airflow?

Although it probably wont ever get warm with just 160 watts max input. But you never know.

I like how you marked the positive leads with red tape.

Thanks, and yes, enough airflow over the top I believe.

The back of the controller has what appears to be aluminum bacling but set in from the plastic housing which makes contact with the aluminum on the slide out drawer.

And the bluetooth dongle has been connected. Needed a firmware update that took less than 2 minutes. Very cool to see the battery condition on a smart device instead of running wires and cutting holes in things.