Everything under the hood

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick

Reaction score
So, if I use the Jay Corp Duel Battery Isolation Kit With Voltage Sensitive Relay, and a deep cycle Battery, all the action is under the hood? 

The relay automatically switches to the secondary battery no matter what is being used inside the van?

Can I totally drain the secondary battery and not worry about it?

Seems fool proof if you set it up correct

got a link?

nothing is 100%

you should never totally drain any house battery. it will have a very short life if you do.

highdesertranger

http://www.livinginavan.net/dual-battery-system/

I was reading that.........thinking hard about doing it in a day.

I think I see the simplicity of it.

I'm guessing the battery just automatically flips to secondary when the right volts are hit.

Nothing to do with key on/off......

How does it know to switch to primary when starting the engine?

well I don't know how this device automatically senses and switches but it seems to just add more complexity. I have always used just a good quality contentious duty solenoid. highdesertranger

""I have always used just a good quality contentious duty solenoid."" HDR I had my solenoid-keel hauled until it was no longer contentious. It now very agreeable.

How does a CDS not overcharge, or is there such a thing?

oops dang spell check.

"How does a CDS not overcharge"

automotive alternators are self regulating. they don't overcharge the same way they don't overcharge your starting battery.

highdesertranger

So I liked the simplicity of the voltage sensitive relay.

Two batteries under the hood, and I don't have to pay attention to which one is being drained because the voltage sensitive relay trips to the secondary automatically.

I wonder does it trip to the starter battery according to the pull of the starter?

Just wondering if anyone uses this "Jay Corp Duel Battery Isolation Kit With Voltage Sensitive Relay"

Sounds cool and simple.....not more complex at all.

but it is more complex. instead of a simple electromechanical relay you have some voltage sensing circuit, in other words something else to fail. but if you think it's simpler who am I to say, go for it and report back. I wonder if that sensing circuit draws power? highdesertranger

Pity the poor mechanic that has to trouble shoot a no start low voltage when the next owner has problems and no knowledge of the installation of that device!

Should be an easy fix....take out the battery isolator.
What mechanic could miss it?

Have been using a VSR for 4 years now with no problems. I used it as part of a build up over time as funds would allow.
Nothing is foolproof, but solid state electronics are pretty reliable in my opinion.

So I was looking under the hood of my 87 g20 Sportvan and it does not look like I can get a second battery in there real easy.
So it is going to have to be under a seat or in the back.

My question for those who might know these things................

If I install this kit, with a battery, is that all I should need?
Will the secondary battery automatically do the work when the Van is not running?
How does the starter use the primary battery? is that part of the technology?

Here is another link to the kit.
https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Battery-Isolator-KeyLine-Chargers/dp/B00WTAFR5W

Should just need the kit, and a battery.

I'm starting from scratch here on a Van that has not been messed with.