Every time I get to thinking...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunny

Reaction score
I've been gathering the add ons for my ATV, front and rear brush guards, side skid plate and new wheels. All sitting in the living room of my tiny apartment. Oh, and a winch that box it's in weighs as much as a freaking anvil. 

Monday the ramp I ordered from discount ramps showed up in a box 7and a half feet long. I misread the ad, it does NOT fold in the middle as I thought, it folds lengthwise. All UPS deliveries are to the office, about 150 yards away. The manager called and told me I had a package, which is not unusual as all my meds go there. So jump on my mobility scooter to pick up my package...All 7.5 ft of it. Manager laughs and tells me she doesn't think it will fit in my basket. I like a challenge, carried it out and put it where my feet go and rode my damn scooter sidesaddle back to the apartment. Wrestle it into the apartment and take a pain pill.

After extensive research on a good lock and cable I invested way too much in a Kryptonite lock and cable to secure the ramp in the bed of my truck..

While I wait for it to come from Amazon I decide to put the brush guards on and at least clear a little space. I have some big honkin bricks holding the cover on the atv down in the wind. I move them and take the cover off, take the guards out of their boxes and get ready to work, I start with the rear guard, instructions show 4 mounting bolts ready to mount with no issues. I hold the damn thing up to the rear area and not one damn bolt hole matches a damn thing. i came back in, took a Xanax and checked the guards. Turns out I was sold the guards for the Sportsman 570, not the Sportsman Ace that I have. Both guards are wrong. There comes a time when you don't get mad, you just say "**** it" and go on.

So I fought the wind and got the cover back on and the brick on the cover in the front and grabbed the brick to hold down the rear and shove it under the ATV and catch the fingernail on my pinky between the atv and brick. The poor kids outside learned some new words and possibly a new dance as I watched the blood flow. The nail is history but I'll live. 

When I get back inside and call the dealership to get the parts guy (and they are all nice helpful guys) The gentleman I ordered the parts from (and a fellow Marine)answered, 
" I know you were a Grunt, right?) which is infantry. He says yeah why?  I tell him to look at the brush guards he ordered for me real close. He replies " Sportsman 570" then silence and he calmly says "shit". The right parts came in today with a $25 discount. Good guy.

IMG_0099.JPG

So my ramp is held down and secured with a high dollar lock and cable attached to a hold down on the truck you could cut with a butter knife. See, I was thinking again.

To All Be Safe.. Rob

Attachments

• IMG_0099.JPG
    IMG_0099.JPG
    239.4 KB
well on the bright side , the 25 you saved reduced the price you paid for the lock you didn't need !

rvpopeye said:
well on the bright side , the 25 you saved reduced the price you paid for the lock you didn't need !

Always a bright side. It's really no big deal, I actually thought it was funny, just part of life.

It kind of looks like you need to stop thinking for a while and give yourself a rest.

How easy is it for you to get in and out of the ace? I have the sportsman 570 and installed all the stuff you got in the mail. I went with the aluminum ramps that fold in half. Of course you have to buy 2 of those but much easier to handle.

The Ace is easy to get in and out of, the seat supports my back and that's an issue on a regular Sportsman. I have some disc issues and the Ace seems to work okay.

I should have gotten the correct ramp, but I went for the free shipping on these. They're only 40 pounds so easy to handle.

Aside from the finger nail (ouch), I'm laughing my butt off. Thanks. :)

Admire your outlook through obstacles.

Now, is the video of the new dance going to follow? Surely someone caught that on their cell phone? LOL

WriterMs said:
Admire your outlook through obstacles.

Now, is the video of the new dance going to follow?  Surely someone caught that on their cell phone?  LOL

Not much use getting mad about that sort of thing, mistakes happen and the guys at the Polaris dealer have been very helpful. 

Luckily no one caught my 'dance' on video but a few commented on it , laughingly. Surprising how fast I can move, bad back and all, at least for a few seconds.

I did the 'hot paper clip thru the fingernail' trick today, no more throbbing, life is good. 

Small obstacles compared to many, I am fortunate with what I have.

To All; Travel Safe.

Hey Gunny,

I've been looking at the ACE's. I think you made a good choice going with the 570 as opposed to the 325. Actually, I don't think they even make the 325 anymore, but replaced it with a 500 plus your 570. They now have two 900 versions. One that is on the same platform as your 570 and a 900 that has a different chassis incorporating long travel suspension. I imagine with your back issues your not looking to catch "massive air" off of jumps. 
If you can send some pics of your ACE.  
I think you said you have already been out west so surely you've seen the amount of off-roading that is possible out here. Az, Nv, Ca, Ut can all offer unmatched ATV trails. Texas from what I understand has so much private property (ranches?) that riding is mostly reduced to specific areas. 
Anyway, I love hearing anything about ATV's.

They had a 900 at the dealership and I drove both, I could not see a 3000 dollar difference. 

If my health stays steady I want to ride some trails in Utah soon after snowmelt. That's why the winch. I also have a sat phone I can activate in case I really get stuck.

I've ridden for a couple hours at one time with no issues in the back.

I've only got a couple of pictures before I covered it but here they are;

IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0218.JPG

The first is at home, the second was at the dealership.

Attachments

• IMG_0226.JPG
    IMG_0226.JPG
    277.9 KB
  • IMG_0218.JPG
    IMG_0218.JPG
    184.7 KB
Those things look like they'd be a lot of fun...other than being more comfortable seating and safer, are they much different than quad riding?

No, same engine and width so they can use the atv trails that restrict width to 48 inches. Top speed is about 60 MPH. A little easier to tip over with the roll cage. I don't have enough time riding it to give decent review but so far it seems okay.

That blue is definitely the best color...that's fact!
I was going to ask you about a winch...good that you have one. Do you carry tire plugs and a pump? With stock tires I think it would be even more essential to carry those items. 
The 900 is overkill if trail riding is your thing. The 325 I think was low on torque so you always need to be in the higher revs. The 570 should be perfect in torque and for the type of riding you're probably looking to do. The 900 would be so fast that it would quickly exceed the limits of the stock suspension...unless of course it's the new 900 with redesigned suspension but that is significantly wider...and costly. $3000 difference between the two...that's a no brainer!

I've got new wheels, ITP Hurricanes sitting in my living room,I'll stick with the stock tires until I go exploring. Keeping one steel wheel for a spare and will have slime in all of them.

I'm not sure if anyone is going with me, only my granddaughter has shown an interest but it would be over her mothers dead body. Maybe just me, a tent and some basic supplies.

I'll post a picture when I get the wheels and winch mounted this week.