European Community

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Wandered

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been avidly following Bob's YouTube channel and frankly I'm insanely jealous of the opportunities, community, availability of vehicles and the sheer length and breadth of the country you guys have to roam.
I'm an English guy living in Switzerland and here if it's not forbidden it's compulsory. It's a stifling place that is completely rule bound. Following Bob's channel has brought out an urge to roam and I wondered if anyone was familiar with a similar scene in Europe? I would love to connect with likeminded people.

Kind regards,

The Wandered

Welcome to the CRVL forums The Wandered! We have several folks here from Europe; so, I hope they can provide some answers for you.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

PS--Glad to see you successfully got your avatar (profile pic) posted :)

I always wanted to live in either Switzerland or Canada , I always had the idea that Switzerland was like a Aristocrat society with all kinds of beautiful houses and Luxury work shops with the most elegant tools to build some really cool stuff , I don't know what its really like over there or where I got that idea if I'm wrong. 
I also always wanted to move to Canada into the wilderness and become a Lumber jack and build and live in a cabin , I don't see that happening now since I'm 47 year old .
After reading your post I feel more grateful for what I have,  thanks

I'm petty sure the people in Europe are into building camper vans bigtime , I think they build Fiat vans and probably Sprinters , I'm not sure if there living in them .

Welcome aboard Wandered !
While you wait for European savvy tribe members ask a few questions that the rest of us can answer for you!

I've spent some time researching "full timing" in Europe.  One of the things that I see there as opposed to the states is that "full timers" live 100% in their vehicles.   The refer to those vehicles a "Motorhomes" and see the term "RV" as an American term.   In Europe it seems that a fully contained motorhome is the vehicle of choice opposed to a converted Van or Truck where one doesn't have all the comforts and conveniences of a bricks and mortar home. (perhaps this is driven by the culture or even laws which would try to prohibit "vagabond's")

From what I've found there are two distinct groups who pursue this life style.  Those over 60 and retired who may full time,  and the younger set who work and travel.  I've read where there are websites that post jobs
for these people who live in a vehicle where they can "Camp" for periods of time and work. (called Square Wheeler's)

A friend of mine whose family is of French origin was always talking about Eurail Passes.  They had to be purchased here in the States he told me and much has changed with the offerings over the years.  But as he
described it to me that there were Bath facilities where travelers could clean up and laundry service available in the stations as well.   Nothing quite like this exist in the States.  But where we are looking at syndicated "Gyms"
here for bathing while enroute,  if public transport there offered such facilities affordably it may be a solution
as well as offering rail transit back home if there were problems with a motorhome,  or you had to go back home urgently. 

My father once showed me one of his Travel magazines which spoke of European young people purchasing VW Van's (set up as Camping vehicles) and touring.  The article noted something referred to as Camping A,  Camping B, and Camping C.   A was on the move camping at a different location each night.  B was manner of staying in one place for perhaps a month before moving onto another place for a month etc where those
involved in this may spend 4 to 6 months of the year away from their regular house.   C was more like what we in the States refer to as "Snowbirding",  which is going south for the winter and staying in one place for several months in that one place each winter.  I understand that those in Europe often find a 50% discount if they stay in one campground facility or wilderness area (wild camps or what is called a rough camp in the states) for more than 3 months.

A European Travel Brochure (like this one) may provide some insights also.

http://www.statravel.com/europe-travel-guide.htm

Mobilesport said:
I always wanted to live in either Switzerland or Canada , I always had the idea that Switzerland was like a Aristocrat society with all kinds of beautiful houses and Luxury work shops with the most elegant tools to build some really cool stuff , I don't know what its really like over there or where I got that idea if I'm wrong. 
I also always wanted to move to Canada into the wilderness and become a Lumber jack and build and live in a cabin , I don't see that happening now since I'm 47 year old .
After reading your post I feel more grateful for what I have,  thanks

HI, Your post reminded me that in my 20's I wanted to move from TX to WY, of course the baby would go and the husband/huntin' dog, pick up/ boat/ guns/ etc..... I'd never even been north of Okie City at the time!.  I just now counted on my fingers to see what year I was your age.  In 1997 I was your age, 2yrs into a new career and making more money than ever before.....It wasn't about the money so much,  it was about being able to living above the poverty level for the 1st time since 1979...18 years is a long time to struggle...I did it because I'm a tough old broad  :D  I call those my "Beans and Bologna " years,  and I still eat B's & B's.  

In 2000 my body crashed, the job went belly up and 4yrs later my S.S.D. was awarded and I'm still alive and kicking.  To me life is just never static and often needs fine tuning or a attitude adjustment on my part  :p

My point is {yes there is a point} our lives change and our needs and wants change too.  I don't know your present situation, maybe there is a compromise you can make between your past dreams and your current life, if that is what you want to do.   Imo Our dreams from our younger days are sometimes just that and I try not to beat myself up with too many "if onlies".  I have had to adjust my goals about full- timing,  & buying/converting a van or cargo trailer in the just the  last 5mo.  I am determined to get wheels back under me & to spend time outside in the woods even if it's only in my 25yr old truck and 19yr old Viking pop up trailer & within miles of my apt.  I may be down at times but I ain't whupped....yet                                                                   Jewellann/TJB

If I hijacked this thread I apologize....I started at eDJ's last post and read backwards to this one....and couldn't keep my mouth shut....not the first time.   tjb

judging by the number of youtube channels I have seen of people from Europe living full time and wandering around camping for free there is a fair amount of it going in Europe.

What might be keeping people from finding those videos and websites are the keywords are different in the use of the words in English in the USA versus Europe. In Europe you need to use the keyword "campervan" or for trailers "caravan". Then tag a second keyword which is the name of the country where you want to visit.

It is easy to find most anything on the internet ...if you use the right keywords

If your interested in European RVing full time, check out WorldTowning.com. They also have a vlog. Their establishing a community as well.

You might want to check out this guys youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCznJZk82zZ42jTRGuh6Afyw

And you might want to look at this facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/332174737227455/

Unfortunately each country in Europe have their own set of rules about sleeping in vehicles.

I live in Denmark, and here it is illegal to sleep in a vehicle, unless it is to just recover from being too sleepy to drive. Or unless you are parked on private property - like a camp ground.
So boondocking in Denmark takes skill and finesse, where you essentially need to park at a different location every night - or find some private property (and make an agreement with the owner). 

For tax reasons it is also very expensive to convert a van to have sleeping options.
Privately owned vehicles essentially pay a 210% license plate tax for first time ownership. Where commercial vans can get away with a 60% first time license plate tax. So the cost (in Denmark) for getting caught sleeping in a commercial van, is to pay a fine AND the tax difference.

So I very much agree with your statement: "It's a stifling place that is completely rule bound".

But each country has different rules, and thus the only way forward is to do thorough research for each country.