Entering a vanlife retirement.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobPeters61

Reaction score
Well, after all these years, I've recently gone from working for the man to living in a van. Living and working in Nashville just got to be one major stressor, especially with my decade-older roommate whose spare bedroom I was renting was slipping off into some form of dementia and his daughter wants to get him into an assisted living situation.

Now, I'm camping on my acre of land in Apache County, AZ where permanent camping on my own land is allowed and I'm in a "subdivision" where all my neighbors live in RVs or "tiny houses."

I'm living in a 30 year old van with a past history of sitting idle for years and only 110K miles. My camping land is a 1.04 acre parcel with a short (less than 300 yards) overland stretch off the road. Luckily, my van is a one-ton with the accompanying ground clearance.

Still working out details such as a new domicile ASAP. My land came with no address, just an outline on the map. I have to drive an hour each way to pick up mail from my new UPS mailbox. Closest that service is to me. I'm really out in the desert with once- or twice-weekly trips into a small town just under 20 miles away.

Well, after all these years, I've recently gone from working for the man to living in a van. Living and working in Nashville just got to be one major stressor, especially with my decade-older roommate whose spare bedroom I was renting was slipping off into some form of dementia and his daughter wants to get him into an assisted living situation.

Now, I'm camping on my acre of land in Apache County, AZ where permanent camping on my own land is allowed and I'm in a "subdivision" where all my neighbors live in RVs or "tiny houses."

Still working out details such as a new domicile ASAP. My land came with no address, just an outline on the map.
Congratulations on your new home base! I guess you will be taking that deed, map and GPS coordinates to the county accessors office to get some type of a domicile street address. Fees will be involved! Look along your road to see if you can spot any street number signs at the entrance driveways into other properties. That would be very encouraging for getting a street address for your land. The “neighborhood” might have a central location somewhere within a few miles with a set of mailboxes on posts. If so that will make life easier for getting and sending mail without a long drive.

No street addresses in this piece of the desert. If I got a building permit, I would get a 911 address, but that would be stated in some rural addressing system foreign to anything that requested an address. Might as well enter my GPS coordinates in the middle of my land. Lots of RV homesites and a "tiny house" or two, but no rural route mailboxes on the road I take home.

Not to mention that getting a building permit would first require certain surveyor fees and then establish the expectation that I then build when I can't afford to.

I'm zoned recreational - agricultural - residential with an open pasture law so I keep company with a different herd every day or two.

My deed does list a legal description of the land as:

LAND RESELLING SUBDIVISION, UNIT x, lot y

That isn't a legal domicile, either.

No street addresses in this piece of the desert. If I got a building permit, I would get a 911 address, but that would be stated in some rural addressing system foreign to anything that requested an address. Might as well enter my GPS coordinates in the middle of my land. Lots of RV homesites and a "tiny house" or two, but no rural route mailboxes on the road I take home.

Not to mention that getting a building permit would first require certain surveyor fees and then establish the expectation that I then build when I can't afford to.

I'm zoned recreational - agricultural - residential with an open pasture law so I keep company with a different herd every day or two.

Or you could just restate the physical location as being “between a rock and a hard place”. 🤣

You might be able to obtain a 911 address from the local sheriff office. They are responsible for doing that in most states. But as you said.........once you start down that path, the tax man will soon follow.