electrical problem

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awjuhl said:
Did you disconnect everything when you replaced the one battery?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

no.   did i destroy everything!  :(

Disconnect panels first then batterys and inverter then, reconnect batterys to charge controler then to the panels lastly the inverter see if that works

Awjuhl said:
Disconnect panels first then batterys and inverter then, reconnect batterys to charge controler then to the panels lastly the inverter see if that works

ok i need to recover a few days bedore underraking what inalmost just did(except the inverte?).  hopefully the new 5000 watt inverter will areive soon and solve everything.  i just installed my ac ffs!!   and was hoping to wallow in ac splendor.   instead, alli can run is my maxxair fan.  

sorry for the rant but this situation aucks!   thank you all!

How did you break the string of batteries to replace one without disconnecting everything?

B and C said:
How did you break the string of batteries to replace one without disconnecting everything?

just disconnected the battery wires

I am very lost in this.

Me too. When you disconnect the battery wires, the string is broken and no electricity flows. Nothing will work unless there is some wonky wiring going on. The controller must be reset in the order given if the string was broken. Still not sure what is broken.

If it is wonky wiring, no amount of troubleshooting over the internet is going to help.

Thinking 12v system that is in parallel then it wouldn't matter can pull one battery at the end with out interrupting the system

Properly wired you don't pull off the same end battery. One connection on opposite corners. Battery A is positive and battery B is negative connection. Like I said, maybe wonky and pulling all off the same end battery. Not the proper way.

2 pages later and I still can't even figure out what the problem is.

is the controller not working?

is an inverter not working?

4 inverters? why?

it was working fine before. what was working fine before? the inverter, the controller? cruise control?

highdesertranger

Awjuhl said:
Thinking 12v system that is in parallel then it wouldn't matter can pull one battery at the end with out interrupting the system

that's exactly what i did but now all charge controllers show now amps and the inverter shows 11.4 on low loads.   where before it showed 12.8-13.5 with high loads.

ohighdesertranger said:
2 pages later and I still can't even figure out what the problem is.  

is the controller not working? 

yes but only shows voltage no amps

is an inverter not working?
yes but very week and shuts uff wit low loads
4 inverters?  why?   cheaper 
and backup.  but ironically not in my case. 

it was working fine before.  what was working fine before?  the inverter,  the controller?  cruise control?

the whole system was running fine. 
highdesertranger

ok it sounds like your control isn't working. how many controllers do you have? I ask because of this line,

" but now all charge controllers show now amps"

I am assuming that should read "all charge controllers show no amps" is that correct? and how many charge controllers do you have? are they all tied into one battery bank? or do you have more than one battery bank?

how many batteries do you have? how many batteries did you change? when you changed this battery did you disconnect/shutoff the solar first?

if you really want our help you need to be more specific of what is going on. we are not there, we can't see your system and we didn't build your system. so we have no idea what is going on.

start from the top. forget about the inverters they aren't working because your batteries are dead. if you keep trying to use your dead battery(S) day after day without charging them you are going to ruin them. do the reset like everyone has said in the order they said and reconnect like they said. then come back and tell us the results.

highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
ok it sounds like your control isn't working.  how many controllers do you have?  I ask because of this line,

" but now all charge controllers show now amps"

I am assuming that should read "all charge controllers show no amps"  is that correct?  and how many charge controllers do you have?  are they all tied into one battery bank?  or do you have more than one battery bank?

yes sorry typo.  all cc's zero amps   .  have 2 mppt and 2 pwm all tied to one battery bank.   10 walmart batteries

how many batteries do you have?  how many batteries did you change?

only one

when you changed this battery did you disconnect/shutoff the solar first?

no

if you really want our help you need to be more specific of what is going on.  we are not there,  we can't see your system and we didn't build your system.  so we have no idea what is going on.

start from the top.  forget about the inverters they aren't working because your batteries are dead.  if you keep trying to use your dead battery(S) day after day without charging them you are going to ruin them.  do the reset like everyone has said in the order they said and reconnect like they said.  then come back and tell us the results.

i have an isolator that still seems to charge the batteries since i am still able to make coffee while engine is running

thx for your helpnand again, sorry for the frustration.   im at my wits end dealing with this until i can figure it out.  

highdesertranger

Now that we know you have four systems tied to one set of batteries; disconnect all solar, disconnect all charge controllers from the batteries (don't disconnect one and reconnect it), connect all charge controllers to the batteries and reconnect solar. If you don't have proper disconnect points, now is the time to install them. You will have to go through this process at every battery change.

B and C said:
Now that we know you have four systems tied to one set of batteries;  disconnect all solar, disconnect all charge controllers from the batteries (don't disconnect one and reconnect it), connect all charge controllers to the batteries and reconnect solar.  If you don't have proper disconnect points, now is the time to install them.  You will have to go through this process at every battery change.

ok b. gotta psyche myself up for this. what a clusterf.  lol. thank u

do what B and C said but I would also disconnect the batteries. just to make it a little less confusing,

1. disconnect all solar panels from the controllers
2. disconnect all controllers from all the batteries
3. reconnect the batteries to the controllers
4. reconnect the solar panels to the controllers
5. report back on what happens.

as a side note you should have fuses/switches in all the disconnect locations that makes this relatively easy. the fuses are mandatory the switches just make life easier.

highdesertranger

Something has occurred to me. Especially if he has wired his parallel incorrectly. I made a similar mistake on my first solar build. And didnt have the pos/ neg on opposite ends so I was only drawing down 1 battery. It would quickly drop to 10v and switch off my inverter while the other batteries were reading full voltage or close to it. They were small agms out of a UPS bank so it quickly presented itself and I noticed my wiring error. 

The fact that he has had to replace one battery already leads me to believe he has made the same mistake.

Brahmon which of the following most closely resembles how your batteries are arranged?
sketch-1566160434960.jpg

Attachments

• sketch-1566160434960.jpg
    sketch-1566160434960.jpg
    64 KB