Ecoflow portable solar panel

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol!!! I did find one disadvantage to portable solar panels last year, by laying the wire on the ground it had several places chew through the insulation by rodents! Just something to consider.

lol!!! I did find one disadvantage to portable solar panels last year, by laying the wire on the ground it had several places chew through the insulation by rodents! Just something to consider.
Dang rodents cause all sorts of issues for campers / nomads, huh ? 😁

lol!!! I did find one disadvantage to portable solar panels last year, by laying the wire on the ground it had several places chew through the insulation by rodents! Just something to consider
it is a gnawing issue to be constantly dealing with all kinds of potential rodent damage including from squirrels and chipmunks.

it is a gnawing issue to be constantly dealing with all kinds of potential rodent damage including from squirrels and chipmunks.
Yes but a little precaution can easily pull the teeth from the problem...

Yes but a little precaution can easily pull the teeth from the problem...
Such as not putting electrical cords on the ground?? 🤪.

Good reminder, I do need to put one away into its storage bin since I am not using my generator right now.

Try using peppermint essence oil. They hate the smell. I put a couple drops on a cotton ball or dryer sheet at all 4 tires and it has stopped the rodents so far. Also I place small chunks of Irish spring soap in my engine compartment and areas underneath the van.

As of right now (1/3/24) the Ecoflow 160W portable solar panel is on sale on Amazon.
$240 doesn't seem very cheap. I bought a similar 100W a couple months ago for $100, Storcube brand. Works just like it should.

I'm hoping they've figured out how to make these portables last awhile. If not I'll just use regular glass and aluminum panels.

The rodents that live in the desert area, both high desert and low are immune to strong plant based scents. There diet includes things such as juniper berries, sage and other strong smelling and strong spicy tasting plants and trees. Even the cayenne pepper tape wraps or spray will not totally deter them. I have personal experience of that. I was camped with others who were using the various oils, sachets of herbs and mothballs, none of it worked. The flooded ground from heavy rains is what drove the rodents to seek higher ground and our vehicles were the most convenient high ground.

Having no mice or rat issues is simply coincidental. The only time I had an issue was during that severe monsoon season where all the ground flooded. You will also get more activity during the breeding season. Yes there really is a breeding season for these small creatures. The females who are about to welp come looking for a warm dry place to build a nest. The males are not the ones nesting in your engine compartment. Mice are also not afraid of light. They run around outside in bright sunshine. They are not true nocturnal creatures. They avoid people or other predators so movement is what causes them to hide themselves. “Still and quiet as a mouse” is a real thing for their survival as they are tasty snacks that have little ability to fend off large predators.

Depends on how portable you want them to be. I have these. They take up very little space.
ALLPOWERS Portable Solar Panel 100W (Dual 5v USB with 18v DC Output) Monocrystalline Solar Charger Foldable Solar Panel for Laptop, Generator, 12v Car, Boat, RV Battery https://a.co/d/4htJY0V

$240 doesn't seem very cheap. I bought a similar 100W a couple months ago for $100, Storcube brand. Works just like it should.

I'm hoping they've figured out how to make these portables last awhile. If not I'll just use regular glass and aluminum panels.
I think the issue with these "thin" panels are when people try to attach them to their vehicle's roof and they get hot because there's no airflow underneath. But yeah, they cost more than trad. aluminum framed hard panels. Could be a trade off that's worthwhile if you don't have the storage space for traditional panels or are concerned about them breaking...

Yep, that is why I always figure out a way to put a panel on my vans, 280 watts $40 at San Tan...done it for a couple of woman living in vas as well.. no fuss no worry about putting out etc etcROOFRACKSOLAR (3).jpgROOFRACKSOLAR (4).jpgROOFRACKSOLAR (1).jpg

Yep, that is why I always figure out a way to put a panel on my vans, 280 watts $40 at San Tan...done it for a couple of woman living in vas as well.. no fuss no worry about putting out etc etcView attachment 34930View attachment 34931View attachment 34932

Yep, that is why I always figure out a way to put a panel on my vans, 280 watts $40 at San Tan...done it for a couple of woman living in vas as well.. no fuss no worry about putting out etc etcView attachment 34930View attachment 34931View attachment 34932
May I ask where you bought the hardware to roof mount these panels?
I have an Explorer also with a similar roof.
It seems I've been looking in the wrong places for it.
Thank you.

May I ask where you bought the hardware to roof mount these panels?
I have an Explorer also with a similar roof.
It seems I've been looking in the wrong places for it.
Thank you.
I just used bolts and nuts or one can use u-bolts or they make specialized brackets that sell on amazon..U bolts with nylon backed nuts 1.78 at Lowes to attack the panels to the bars..The uprights I bought a cheap one on Veyo for $75 and added the metal post with grade 8 bolts I had laying around for added height..Could not find a ready made one that was the right height or you could just take it to a welder to add some height to it

Attachments

• VID_20240103_123806.mp4
    7.3 MB
I just used bolts and nuts or one can use u-bolts or they make specialized brackets that sell on amazon..U bolts with nylon backed nuts 1.78 at Lowes to attack the panels to the bars..The uprights I bought a cheap one on Veyo for $75 and added the metal post with grade 8 bolts I had laying around for added height..Could not find a ready made one that was the right height or you could just take it to a welder to add some height to it
Thank you very much.