DYI: Vinyl Coated Polyester Bomb Proof Teepee Tent

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You then cut across the two bottoms of each zipper. Now these zippers open from the top.
Oops. You cut across the top so that the flap opens at the top. That is the opposite of the door that roles up from the bottom. The window roles down from the top. Gads.

Also Gizmo, I must have missed it but was there a reason for glue instead of sewing?
Yes. This glue ends up welding the seams together and it never leaks like all so called weatherproof seams do on sewn tents. The rainproof seams on almost all tents that have a rubberized coating on their rainfly need sealant added to them because of exposure to the sun. There are holes where the thread goes thru.

...checking out the HH-66 adhesive....plastic-welding....and vinyl materials for my other projects
Me too. I love the work that some people have done for the window insulation [sp] LOL covers where they sew reflectix together with dark fabric for really nice fitting and looking panels. I'm not sure that I can do clean work on the edges as that. I want to use something I used on my 35ft Holiday Rambler for winter snow. I took blue backpacker sleeping foam pads and just stuck them up against the glass. Some I had to glue together for bigger windows. I can put reflectix on one side, backpacker foam padding sandwiched in the middle, and black vinyl coated polyester on the other side. The driver door and the passenger door are interchangeable as well as the two halves of the front window. The way I'm eventually trimming out the large window behind the driver seat that will be symmetrical too, so both sides can be flipped over to the outside if I want that.

It's possible to build a two peak Teepee tent also. Or someone can build one with three peaks in a triangle configuration. You can also add low to medium height side walls to a design. Some manufacturers make camo styled designs out of this stuff too. You can get that in wild colors like hot pink mixed with gray in places sometimes. Several companies sell the stuff. Those painter poles a very rigid, adjustable, and strong.

There are two buildings at the California State Fairgrounds near Sacramento that use 44oz VCP for the roofing. I've seen maintenance people out walking on them between the suspension trusses. They are like more than 50 years old now. This stuff stands up to the sun real nice.

OK, got my HH-66, brass grommets, paint poles, measurements, fabric, work bench stands, workbench plywood, zippers, spring clamps, and now I need to rest a few days... old man joke.

Just for fun:

"

1. When one door closes and another door opens, you are probably in prison.

2. To me, "drink responsibly" means don't spill it.

3. Age 60 might be the new 40, but 9:00 pm is the new midnight.

4. It's the start of a brand new day, and I'm off like a herd of turtles.

5. The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

6. When I say, "The other day," I could be referring to any time between yesterday and 15 years ago.

7. I remember being able to get up without making sound effects.

8. I had my patience tested. I'm negative.

9. Remember, if you lose a sock in the dryer, it comes back as a Tupperware lid that doesn't fit any of your containers.

10. If you're sitting in public and a stranger takes the seat next to you, just stare straight ahead and say, "Did you bring the money?"

11. When you ask me what I am doing today, and I say "nothing," it does not mean I am free
. It means I am doing nothing.

12. I finally got eight hours of sleep. It took me three days, but whatever.

13. I run like the winded.

14. I hate when a couple argues in public, and I missed the beginning and don't know whose side I'm on.

15. When someone asks what I did over the weekend, I squint and ask, "Why, what did you hear?"

16. When you do squats, are your knees supposed to sound like a goat chewing on an aluminum can stuffed with celery?

17. I don't mean to interrupt people. I just randomly remember things and get really excited.

18. When I ask for directions, please don't use words like "east."

19. Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Spend 30 seconds in my head. That'll freak you right out.

20. Sometimes, someone unexpected comes into your life out of nowhere, makes your heart race, and changes you forever. We call those people cops.

21. My luck is like a bald guy who just won a comb."

Just got done watching a video fresh up from RVerTV on putting up the big tent at Quartzite for the 2022 season. That tent is made of Vinyl Coated Polyester. Now that's a way to build a proper Teepee.