Dual Purpose Detailing/Camping Express Cargo

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Funny enough, stumbled across TMG51's van thread, albeit on a way different place on the internet, lol. If he's on here he'll probably know where I found him from, he replied to some of my questions in that thread. 

Anyhow, I decided to present a challenge I am considering on undertaking. 

I live in Phoenix, Arizona, and I currently run a mobile detail business. My vehicle is a 2010 Chevrolet Express cargo (no back windows) 4.3 V6 2WD with just over 65,000 miles on the odometer. I have very "flexible" yet somewhat unstable living arrangements at the moment, but I'm not "tied down" by much so to speak. I always loved going out to LA, but haven't got much time lately. Seeing TMG51's thread showed me how sweet and free it can be living out of your van and just getting out, exploring and seeing things. 

My goal would be to use my existing van to double as both a normal business vehicle for my detail operation, while being able to sleep and "hang out" in the van for weekends or extended periods of time if necessary for week long excursions to other nearby cities in CA, NM, etc. I would theoretically just pull into town and post listings on Craigslist like I do in my hometown to seek out work in that area. 

My current problem is my equipment is fairly large, so I already have limited space in the van as it is, although for the past year I've owned it, I haven't optimized space nearly at all, and have had my equipment in there more or less all using floor space. This idea would be a total 180 from that, and try to conserve as much space as possible. 

It's changed a bit since these photos were taking a while back to be a bit more organized and less cluttered, but some of the things that remain in the vehicle are that large Yamaha 4500W generator, that big air compressor, the electric pressure washer, and that big black and blue carpet extractor. The big plastic trunk is out for now and I've downsized most of those totes and switched to a small wet/dry vac opposed to that giant vac. I would definitely have to get a hitch mount and keep the generator externally, though I question how safe that is to leave outside at all times. 

My goals would be: 
Be able to sleep in relative comfort in either a hammock, cot, or some type of easily removable/foldable/storeable bed. 
Keep the van cool and comfortable enough to hang out in or around when parked and browsing the web, reading etc. even in harsh AZ heat. 
Be able to power a fan most of the day if needed, charge my phone (which is my main device I use to browse the web, read etc), power lights at night and other small appliances if necessary. So a decent but reasonably priced solar setup. 

Limitations are:
The van is vinyl wrapped completely minus the roof with my business info. It can't be altered or blocked significantly. 
I'd like to sell this van one day, and I'd like to not make any mods to it that are so extreme to make it so it would be difficult to sell later (no serious cutting besides say, a Fantastic Fan/vent on the roof). 
I must bring necessary water and air hoses, polishes, polishers, pads, buckets, and my Werner telescoping ladder, possibly an EZ up tent, and my big carpet extractor and pressure washer. I plan on downsizing my compressor to something smaller but adequate, maybe half the height of the one I have now. I have to keep my Yamaha generator to use some of my power hungry equipment to detail cars with absolutely no grid power in parking lots and such, so it at the very least needs to be on a hitch mount on the back. 

Has anyone on here any experience of living out of a truck/van that was a primary business vehicle? Any tips or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Lookingfordasein said:
If he's on here he'll probably know where I found him from

Oh yes. I haven't gone far.

One picture in I was going to ask if you'd ever tried out DeWalt's cordless shop vac to save space. And there I see it sit in the second image. Is it the 20v? I have the same one in my van, and I've used it all over in the construction trade.

It does appear you have quite a volume of equipment in the van though. Even though towing is not my preferred set up, you might consider doing just that to meet your needs (either make the van your house, and tow a trailer for the detailing equipment, or make a trailer your house and keep the van as is). Here's a recent thread from a fellow in a similar situation:
https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Hello-from-Virginia?pid=161579

Yup, it's the 20v. I use it on client's cars that are just quick wash and vac jobs that aren't too dirty, it works great. My corded shop vac is just over double that size, I got it recently as I've steadily been trying to downsize and simplify my setup just for ease of loading and unloading my gear when working. 

While having a trailer would simplify my cargo issue, it makes parking and driving more difficult, takes away some stealth, and is another axle with tires, bearings, etc to maintain. I think if I could manage to get my generator mounted safely and securely outside the vehicle with a hitch mounted rack  and go to a smaller compressor, that would give me a lot of room inside. In addition, a luggage basket on top would be another option, but would take up more roof space that could be used for solar. I also believe I'm pushing it on the weight for this vehicle with the little 4.3. The compressor is probably ~200lbs, the generator is a little over 200lbs, I have a single dionized water filter tank that sits in the LR corner near the rear doors thats over 70lbs, plus my polishers, pads, pressure washer, brushes, etc, probably another few hundred... after I added some batteries, inverter, etc, I probably wouldn't be able to do anything crazy inside regardless of space. 

I'm thinking my basic necessities are some kind of fold up cot or foam mattress that can be just layed on the van floor, some way to heat up food and water ala coleman stove, a solar/electrical solution to suit my needs, a stable internet connection (maybe like that Verizon jetpack thing, but not sure what the monthly cost is) and a slick storage solution for personal items like shoes, clothes, etc.

I suggest you convert a 6'x12' single axle cargo trailer into living space.

Lookingfordasein said:
While having a trailer would simplify my cargo issue, it makes parking and driving more difficult, takes away some stealth, and is another axle with tires, bearings, etc to maintain.

Your van is wrapped with your business logo, and you're worried about stealth?? You can't be serious.

I too think a trailer would be just what you need. Doesn't need to be a big one, but just a small camper trailer would work out good for you.

Park it at a campground, and then you can run around in your van all day without having to drag the trailer to all your working locations.

And a small trailer and the tires and axles need very minimal maintenance. Think about it.

On another note, I'd love to see your van! I'm a 30+ year veteran of the sign & graphics business, and love to check out other people's work! :)

Welcome to the board!

Patrick in Oregon.

Patrick46 said:
Your van is wrapped with your business logo, and you're worried about stealth?? You can't be serious.

I too think a trailer would be just what you need. Doesn't need to be a big one, but just a small camper trailer would work out good for you.

Park it at a campground, and then you can run around in your van all day without having to drag the trailer to all your working locations.

And a small trailer and the tires and axles need very minimal maintenance. Think about it.

On another note, I'd love to see your van! I'm a 30+ year veteran of the sign & graphics business, and love to check out other people's work! :)

Welcome to the board!

Patrick in Oregon.

A utility type of trailer wouldn't look weird behind my van, but a camper would. My reasoning behind this is that even though my van is "loud", it is so because of my business, thus it sortof blends in. A big ass trailer takes away from that unless it's one of those box trailer things that I can somehow convert and wrap to match the van (or put some vinyl decals on), which is an idea. 

The main idea is that I could park ANYWHERE and sleep in it if need be. If it's one of those pop up campers, forget about it, no way that's going to work. I could go to a campsite, but I didn't want to have to do that wherever I go. 

After some thought for the past day, I think my first step is just to get this van's stuff organized better and optimize the space I have with my business stuff alone, which is something I should have done long ago. After, I can evaluate my space and determine if sleeping in it on the weekends is doable at all or not, or if I really would have to get some type of trailer.

Different people seem to mean different things when they say "stealth." I think your van is stealthy because people will walk by it and think it's a business vehicle. (Because it is!) No one will walk by it and think someone is living in it. Other people think "recognizable" = "not stealthy" and I'm not sure why. Yes your vehicle is recognizable but if no one would think you're living in it why does that matter... ?

So I think business vehicles are stealthy. And to that end, I took it as implicit that I was suggesting a cargo trailer and not any kind of camper trailer. I think everyone else probably meant the same thing.

But maybe you can fit a cot and a stove in the van after downsizing and call that good.

TMG51 said:
Different people seem to mean different things when they say "stealth." I think your van is stealthy because people will walk by it and think it's a business vehicle. (Because it is!) No one will walk by it and think someone is living in it. Other people think "recognizable" = "not stealthy" and I'm not sure why. Yes your vehicle is recognizable but if no one would think you're living in it why does that matter... ?

So I think business vehicles are stealthy. And to that end, I took it as implicit that I was suggesting a cargo trailer and not any kind of camper trailer. I think everyone else probably meant the same thing.

But maybe you can fit a cot and a stove in the van after downsizing and call that good.

Yeah, after thinking it over, I don't think a cargo trailer would be a bad idea, but I do still have concerns about overwhelming the weak little 4.3 V6 that's probably already getting taxed heavily by the weight of the stuff currently in the van alone.

I'll do some organizing this week and put up some snaps of the inside with all my gear and see what I have to work with, and maybe somebody can chime in with a few pointers or ideas to consolidate stuff and conserve space even more.

Lookingfordasein said:
Yeah, after thinking it over, I don't think a cargo trailer would be a bad idea, but I do still have concerns about overwhelming the weak little 4.3 V6 that's probably already getting taxed heavily by the weight of the stuff currently in the van alone.

I'll do some organizing this week and put up some snaps of the inside with all my gear and see what I have to work with, and maybe somebody can chime in with a few pointers or ideas to consolidate stuff and conserve space even more.

I just checked and that van has a towing capacity of 6750 lbs and a payload capacity of 2306 lbs. with that engine according to the stats for it on Edmunds.com.

IIWM, I'd be going for the smallest cargo trailer that can haul all your stuff and then live in the van because we know that one person can fit in the van. OR get a larger trailer with standing height that you can turn into living quarters and use the van for work.

If you're really concerned about how much the stuff you're carrying weighs, take the van to a set of scales and get it weighed. Then, either use the manufacturers' base weight or empty it and get it weighed again.

okay.... all the car guys and gals get ready to roll your eyes at my ignorance here....I can take the snickers if I"ve got it all wrong...

Wouldn't it be helpful on your GVW to get a bunch of the heavier items OUT of the van and into a small trailer with its own axles to support it? I mean.. towing the weight on another set of wheels has to be less strain than having all of the weight inside the van itself... or is my amateur logic all wrong?

actually WriterMs is right spreading the weight over 2 vehicles(van & trailer) is much easier on the van. a trailer in this situation makes perfect sense. imho you could go either way, make the van your home or make the trailer your home, to me that's the big decision. highdesertranger

::::: clapping my hands that I did not make a fool of myself :::::

Even a quite small trailer that can take some of the larger volume items that are heavy... frees up perhaps enough van space and weight to make the van more livable ... especially since the OP is not talking about fulltime living in either.

An idea that may help...

Attachments

• getPart.docx
    477.1 KB · Views: 14
Well my last post  somehow lost my description in case you are not able to open my attachment so I will add it here.

Sorry that I couldn't figure out how to extract the photos I sent to myself in a word doc from a pc into my tablet from which I'm trying to post this from. In case  you can't open the file...  

Behind the front 2 seats lays 3 twin/cot sized foam pads on the floor horizontal to cargo area which can be stacked behind the driver seat as a couch. The rest of the cargo area has built in shelves along the walls, similar to cargo shelves in typical cargo van, and across the back in a horseshoe shape. The back storage area has a door for access while you're in the van as well as access from the outside doors behind the van. That storage area has removable shelves. The only 'counter space' is around the bathroom size sink that is behind the rear passenger door in line with the shelves on the passenger side. This  frees up floor space by putting stuff on shelves. at least on one of the cabinet doors I would have it hing down with a leg support so you can use it as a counter for cooking, computing or whatever.

surfer said:
Well my last post  somehow lost my description in case you are not able to open my attachment so I will add it here.

Sorry that I couldn't figure out how to extract the photos I sent to myself in a word doc from a pc into my tablet from which I'm trying to post this from. In case  you can't open the file...  

Behind the front 2 seats lays 3 twin/cot sized foam pads on the floor horizontal to cargo area which can be stacked behind the driver seat as a couch. The rest of the cargo area has built in shelves along the walls, similar to cargo shelves in typical cargo van, and across the back in a horseshoe shape. The back storage area has a door for access while you're in the van as well as access from the outside doors behind the van. That storage area has removable shelves. The only 'counter space' is around the bathroom size sink that is behind the rear passenger door in line with the shelves on the passenger side. This  frees up floor space by putting stuff on shelves. at least on one of the cabinet doors I would have it hing down with a leg support so you can use it as a counter for cooking, computing or whatever.

That van interior is pretty slick actually.

See if this helps:

CzFUfOT.jpg

7AEe8xK.jpg

NlKQZaP.jpg

yzzqK6q.jpg

NG9HWQu.jpg

thanks for posting those! If that van had not been 2 days away from me I would have given it a go!

Has anyone on here any experience of living out of a truck/van that was a primary business vehicle? Any tips or ideas are greatly appreciated....

I am no expert,  and you DO have a lot of stuff....  But I know of a guy that was able to travel around europe and stay in his van and also tune skis out of it with the US Ski Team. Look at Warner Nickerson's "mothership" van.   May be inspiring.   Just google it....   He doesn't have as much stuff as you do tho....   Good lucks!