Driving van in windy conditions on the highway

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LMTLMT

Reaction score
At what MPH wind do you actually pull over and wait it out??

or keep driving as its not an issue for regular roof vans.

Can a regular roof van be flipped over due to wind?

well how much wind are we talking? 60, 70, 90mph. above 40 it ain't no fun. if you are going 60mph in a 60mph wind in certain conditions the wind effect on your vehicle could be 120mph. see where I am going with this. I say stop when you become uncomfortable. highdesertranger

And much sooner in the mountains, super unpredictable bursts, in and out of tunnels.

Got my VW blown right off the road into a snow-filled ravine in the Dolomites, wasn't even going fast, just didn't want to stop cause of course the heater was barely working :cool:

Especially in passes. North east of Las Cruces is the only pass east in 20-30 miles. Mountains on each side. It funnels the wind through there like a funnel. Vehicles flip their quite regularly.

And it depends on the wind direction relative to the direction you're headed. A head wind or tail wind isn't so onerous. A quartering-wind isn't even too terrible most of the time, but 40mph gusts hitting the side of a van can be pretty frightening. I frequently drive west into NW winds of 30 mph without much effect here in Iowa. I got in some pretty nasty side winds on I-10 east of Deming, NM... and decided to give it up for the day in El Paso, mostly because I watched tractor-trailers getting moved into my lane by the wind. It just wasn't safe to drive... I was doing about 40-45mph most of the way from Deming to El Paso that day. It was all I could make and keep control.

One problem with driving in high winds is that usually, you aren't alone. Haven't you seen a semi with an empty box swinging down the road? They're blown over fairly regularly, or they lose control of the whole rig. Why would you want to be out there with them? What's your hurry? Get off the road and park it. Die later, when it's more convenient.

Sorry not clear in my original post.  I'm referring to CrossWind and 30mph and +.  (not in a tornado or hurricane just typical cross winds.)

While on the road going to the next state or city, I see weather reports for the next city or state having windy or breeze conditions of 40mph and higher, how should I plan going forward?  Should I wait it out at my current location or?  because weather changes all the time and one minute is 50mph and the next is back down to 25mph.  I hate to loose one day's time of travel but I also want to be safe.  Or should I keep driving until I really hit the strong crosswind but by that time there might not be a town or rest stop in the immediate area tho and I'll be stuck on the side of the road till who knows when.

If the semis aren't going, I'm not going.

I think at around 30 mph it starts getting uncomfortable, 40mph isn't a bad place to stop for a bit. Cross winds anyways. Head and tail winds are a bit different. I'd also factor in how busy the roads you are on are. If the roads are really busy, probably best to get off sooner. If you're the only one out there it's a bit easier with out having to worry about watching everyone else too. Listen to your gut and you'll probably be alright. Ignoring it is when we seem to get in trouble.

MrNoodly said:

Yes very true.  

Don't they have more risk due to the empty high profile trailer right hence I asked early if a regular roof van can be flipped by wind and if yes, usually at what mph?

Unless really extreme predictions, set out and play it by ear as you go.

Nice thing about van living is you've got your comfortable self-sufficient home with you.

Can always pull into a sheltered spot and relax until it blows over (sic)

Don't rely on the big rigs for guidance, many of them take too many chances, pre$$ures. If they're pulling off then you probably should've a while ago!

LMTLMT said:
Yes very true.  

Don't they have more risk due to the empty high profile trailer right hence I asked early if a regular roof van can be flipped by wind and if yes, usually at what mph?
Too many variables for a set number, and "flipping over" is way past the minimum catastrophes, stuff starts unpredictably moving sideways long before that's a risk.

You've really got enough to guide you, don't fret about it, trust your intuition, and be conservative.

yeah I wouldn't pay attention to what the semi's are doing. when we get a big blow dozens get flipped over. highdesertranger

Not all vans handle the same so can't make a blanket statement. With my driving experience, over 50+ winds would start to concern me. Sudden gusts can be tipping point with higher profile vehicles.

One of the biggest causes of accidents for many activities is the need of having to be somewhere at a certain time. If I have an appointment at a certain time and the weather is miserable, I'll take more risks. Usually all ends well, but traveling against the clock in adverse conditions can injure or kill you. Or at least cause you a very bad day.

Just don't be in a hurry and give yourself plenty of lead time if you have to be somewhere at a specific time. That's why we're doing this, right? (Well, at least for those of us who aren't working).

MrNoodly said:

In the old days this may have been true but with the newer younger crop of drivers, they border on insane the way they drive these rigs in any situation as if they are invincible! 

I used to respect big rig drivers, I now fear them and distain their driving procedures. 

Dave