Driving though Smoke in California

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

towhee

Reaction score
I’m in Oregon and coming south. I can delay here a few days if needed. I’ll be coming down I-5 past Redding, Sacramento and all the way south to Bakersfield then over Tehatchapi pass to finally reach the desert. That’s 2 days drive in smoke. And two overnights at least as I have previously planned my travels. Ive generally done one day from northern oregon to Corning, another day to Coalingua and then the next day over the pass to the east side of the mountains.  So thats two nights in smoke. 

So, for those who have been in the Central Valley recently or have driven in dense smoke- what are the concerns. Even putting recirculating on in the car I will be breathing smoke. I know its bad for me. Is it bad for the car? Should I change the air filter after I get out of it? Are there more collisions on the freeways in smoky conditions? 

This is a new factor to consider when planning travel and I just don’t have experience with this and I’d like to hear from folks on the ground there or who have experience.